LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 183
0 members and 183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #121
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
That's not what I mean at all. I mean, if you create a system where people vote themselves benefits, they'll do so until the system collapses. We're seeing a variant of that right now in the 1-10%'s capture of the system. People will take until there's nothing left to take. True democracy doesn't empower the aggregate underclasses. It allows more people to vote themselves wealth transfers in smaller increments.

Rich, poor, middle - you can't allow people to grab economic benefits at the ballot box without causing dysfunctions and warped allocations.

True democracy is a universal disaster. No exceptions. Do I think smarter redistribution would lift more boats over the long term than this short term rentier/crony/financial engineering economy we have right now? Yes. That's why I'm not a serious libertarian. I think universal income is a solid economic/society-preserving idea. Libertarians who'd rather see us turn into Brazil demonstrate the limits of the ideology.

As opposed to the affluent Democrat ideal of redistributing so long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line? Say what you will of Rockefeller Republicans; they never felt the need to plead charitable bona fides while protecting their revenue streams. And Libertarians, of course, just don't give a fuck.

If you're telling someone what you believe they should do, and trying to pass rules to make him do it, for any reason, you've authoritarian tendencies. That you're a micro tin pot variety inflicting his will by encouraging others to vote a certain way just means you've less power and effectiveness than an actual one. If put in power, you'd try to compel people to act as you like. And that's on a continuum with Trump.

Sure there are. This place is littered with them. I even fall into it. Are you serious?

I'd trade it all to see true creative destruction of the kind we prevented in 2008. And I mean that with every fiber of my being. The stretch from 2008 through 2010, when it was seriously hairy, was the most fascinating set of events. That's how the system is supposed to clear out the dead weight. That should have been a reset that gave the little guys a chance. Instead, we allowed it to more aggressively entrench a very fragile and cynical system no one trusts anymore. Hence, populism.

Wait 'till it goes next time. Will you argue for fairness then, or will you do what so many charitable Democrats and Republicans do in those circumstances: Plead for the fix that protects your retirement?
The most notable and odious characteristic of "libertarianism" is that its really just an excuse for navel gazing while the world burns. Opposition to doing anything. The Berners are really good at this, too, but based on a different set of beliefs. Long and short, don't work on improving healthcare because (a) waiting for the market to do it is better, screw the dead people; or (b) waiting for the state to do it or set up a single payor to do it is better, screw the dead people.

And if anyone goes and tries to, say, improve healthcare, well, they're just going to cause more harm than good because democracy / capitalism / the system / the establishment / your navel sucks.

While the above post is just too damn long and wandering to read all of, it's a good illustration of the whole problem.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #122
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
The most notable and odious characteristic of "libertarianism" is that its really just an excuse for navel gazing while the world burns. Opposition to doing anything. The Berners are really good at this, too, but based on a different set of beliefs. Long and short, don't work on improving healthcare because (a) waiting for the market to do it is better, screw the dead people; or (b) waiting for the state to do it or set up a single payor to do it is better, screw the dead people.

And if anyone goes and tries to, say, improve healthcare, well, they're just going to cause more harm than good because democracy / capitalism / the system / the establishment / your navel sucks.

While the above post is just too damn long and wandering to read all of, it's a good illustration of the whole problem.
Another great case in point these days is the teacher rebellion.

The endless desire to genuflect to lower taxes means advocating people get paid shitty wages. In a world where you don't have an economy without education, the Red States have been killing themselves for the last couple of generations because of their fealty to the anti-tax religion.

I don't care what someone's ideology or religion is, in the 21st century, if you can't run a school system, balance its budget, and attract decent talent to teach, you shouldn't be anywhere near government, anywhere in the world.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #123
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
I'm out of here for a while.

Your collective casual ignorance of the motivations and reasoning behind conservative thought has grown tiresome.

If I'm going to be insulted by idiots, I'd rather be on Twitter.
The motivation is racism. Once you realize that, who cares about the reasoning?

(Hi, Ty!)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #124
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I'd trade it all to see true creative destruction of the kind we prevented in 2008. And I mean that with every fiber of my being. The stretch from 2008 through 2010, when it was seriously hairy, was the most fascinating set of events. That's how the system is supposed to clear out the dead weight.
It's not a science, it's religion!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #125
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

A balance has to be struck as to the amount of intervention people do. Too much creates distortions, which compel later interventions, which create further distortions.

Overfinancialization led to 2008. We cured that by plowing massive amounts of money into the system, which did not trickle down to those most harmed. And the consequence was populism, which led to Trump, who hints at authoritarianism.

You have to burn the forest every now and again to save it. If the system never "clears," the system grows more and more fragile, and when it runs into its next crisis, the result is cataclysmic.

Do I think we should follow the lead of Andrew Mellon in 1929? No. There are smart, limited things to be done to fix a problem. You don't let the world burn entirely. But when you fix the problem, you allow enough creative destruction to take place to wipe out most of the big players who caused the crisis, and allow smaller, more deserving and more innovative players to take their place.

Libertarianism stands for many bad things. But it stands for many good things. And one of those good things is allowing a stagnant system that has pretty much devolved into rentier/crony capitalism and financial engineering to collapse to the extent it should, and allow a better group of actors to take the place of the past regime. What's so bad about that? Oh, I know what's bad about that... Many of us, here, have our bread buttered by that rentier/crony capitalist system. It pays for our tony lifestyles which allow us to come here and complain about its unfairness, and advocate fixes at its margins, but never of a sort which would directly impact us. I believe the old term for this, worth dusting off, is "limousine liberal."
Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #126
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Another great case in point these days is the teacher rebellion.

The endless desire to genuflect to lower taxes means advocating people get paid shitty wages. In a world where you don't have an economy without education, the Red States have been killing themselves for the last couple of generations because of their fealty to the anti-tax religion.

I don't care what someone's ideology or religion is, in the 21st century, if you can't run a school system, balance its budget, and attract decent talent to teach, you shouldn't be anywhere near government, anywhere in the world.
The market is not all-knowing and perfect. And its greatest imperfection is rewarding the undeserving such as us, brokers, finance people, salesmen, etc. (the half parasitic, minimal value-add sectors of the work force) and depressing the wages of the deserving (GPs, teachers, first responders, etc.).

But how does one upend a system that values people like us at many multiples of a teacher's salary? How is that perverted situation remedied?

Well, you have to have a severe enough crisis to shock the system so badly that people begin to ask why a lawyer, or a broker, or some hedge fund analyst, makes so much money. You need a situation where either the market, or society, depresses the wages of the undeserving in favor of raising the wages of the deserving, such as teachers.

Supporting interventions that protect the current system is never going to do this. Never. Ever. Barring a crisis that all but reconfigures our society, we will never see a situation in which a teacher or a firefighter is paid like a decent analyst or lawyer.

Supporting intervention to protect a system that keeps your retirement safe is siding with unfairness. The class system, the false barriers to entry, and the wage protectionism for the affluent and connected in this country is turning us into an English class system. You and I are part of that. Sure, we're willing to fix things at the margins. We're willing to give a few thousand here or there, vote for the right candidate, perhaps donate our time. But when the next crisis hits, we will both demand that our national Handicapper General step in and protect us from the economic forces that should wipe out a system as fragile as ours. It's crazy to do otherwise, of course, as self-preservation comes first. But those crazy Libertarians? They're willing to live through the natural selection and evolution that moves a society forward. They are, in fact, progressives in this regard. And you and me? We're conservatives, trying save our stuff... saving our asses.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #127
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
The motivation is racism. Once you realize that, who cares about the reasoning?

(Hi, Ty!)
This is too retarded for comment.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #128
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
It's not a science, it's religion!
It's your hymn I'm singing: Econ 101. Economies run in cycles, no? And so what happens when you defy the cycle? Defy the "reset" mechanism?

You get things like Trump. That's what happens. And he's just the cherry on the sundae. It's the populism, class warfare, and general distrust of all systems (political, commerce, etc.) underneath where the really rich and flavorful stuff is lurking.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #129
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
This is too retarded for comment.
No wonder your political narratives are all so silly.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #130
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
You get things like Trump. That's what happens. And he's just the cherry on the sundae. It's the populism, class warfare, and general distrust of all systems (political, commerce, etc.) underneath where the really rich and flavorful stuff is lurking.
Do you know any history at all? The last forest fire did not lead to rainbows and unicorns. It lead to populism, warfare and genocide. It's almost like the goal is to try to avoid forest fires or something.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #131
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
That's not what I mean at all. I mean, if you create a system where people vote themselves benefits, they'll do so until the system collapses. We're seeing a variant of that right now in the 1-10%'s capture of the system. People will take until there's nothing left to take. True democracy doesn't empower the aggregate underclasses. It allows more people to vote themselves wealth transfers in smaller increments.

Rich, poor, middle - you can't allow people to grab economic benefits at the ballot box without causing dysfunctions and warped allocations.
Please think about what you're saying. The issue you're trying to put your finger on is a necessary attribute of government, not a peculiar aspect of democracy. Government is a tool to, among other things, impose a social order and redistribute. Throughout history, most governments have redistributed from the bottom to the top. In other words, exploitation. Rich people tend not to see any problem with this. When poor people want to have an equal say, rich people conjure up just-so stories, like you are now, to explain that it won't work. Crucially, these just-so stories mask the redistributive piece, and make things sound like a mechanical problem that just exists in nature. "if you create a system where people vote themselves benefits, they'll do so until the system collapses." Really? Where has that happened? The system collapsing, I mean. Just to take a popular counterexample, look at the Nordic countries, where the people have voted for social benefits much richer than you see in this country. Denmark, for example, hasn't collapsed.

Quote:
True democracy is a universal disaster. No exceptions.
Seriously, WTF are you talking about?

It's freakishly odd to me that you can sound off here *all the time* about how the political system doesn't serve ordinary people, causing them to lose jobs and vote for Trump and all sorts of other horribles, and then give this explanation of how giving ordinary people more political power can't work. Dude, it's almost like the noblesse oblige approach that you are advocating right now doesn't actually work. News flash: Affluent suburbs have well-paved roads and good schools, and poor suburbs don't. But you keep worrying about how democracy will collapse if we trying to treat people more equally.

Quote:
Do I think smarter redistribution would lift more boats over the long term than this short term rentier/crony/financial engineering economy we have right now? Yes. That's why I'm not a serious libertarian. I think universal income is a solid economic/society-preserving idea. Libertarians who'd rather see us turn into Brazil demonstrate the limits of the ideology.
Right. I understand that you agree on a fundamental level that libertarianism is profoundly misguided, but because you are rolling out the libertarian claptrap and there is no one else here to defend it, I'm letting you have it. Thanks for playing.

Quote:
As opposed to the affluent Democrat ideal of redistributing so long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line? Say what you will of Rockefeller Republicans; they never felt the need to plead charitable bona fides while protecting their revenue streams.
What were Rockefeller Republicans are today's affluent Democrats, and when they vote for higher taxes -- which they often do -- they are in fact hurting their bottom line. You're getting the Stupid Talking Point (tm) wrong -- the hypocrisy charge against them is not that they won't vote against economic self-interest, which they do, it's that they are somehow not to be taken seriously because they don't give up all their wealth like St Francis of Assisi.

Quote:
And Libertarians, of course, just don't give a fuck.
They do, about themselves. It's selfishness with a conceit of some principle to mask it.

Quote:
If you're telling someone what you believe they should do, and trying to pass rules to make him do it, for any reason, you've authoritarian tendencies.
You can use words however you like, but if you want to use them to communicate with other people then it helps to use meanings that other people use too. This version of "authoritarian" that you've hatched has little or nothing to do with the way that other people understand the word, and also is so broad as to be meaningless. Anyone who has every worked in a government, or a company with more than one employee, or a non-profit, or who has been a part of organized religion, or youth sports -- they're all "authoritarians" in your book. If that's how you're writing your book, I don't think I want to read it.

Quote:
And that's on a continuum with Trump.
If you have hair or a pulse, you're on a continuum with Trump. When everyone is on a slippery slope, it's probably not all that slippery or sloping.

Quote:
Sure there are. This place is littered with them. I even fall into it. Are you serious?
More interesting question here, but I think that self-interest trumps a desire to control other people's behavior as a relative explanation for most political behavior -- but for various reasons, people want to justify their positions based on abstract principles, not self-interest, so they often dress up the former as the latter.

Do you have a good example of someone acting in politics out of a desire to control other people's behavior that is not also motivated by self-interest?

Quote:
I'd trade it all to see true creative destruction of the kind we prevented in 2008. And I mean that with every fiber of my being. The stretch from 2008 through 2010, when it was seriously hairy, was the most fascinating set of events. That's how the system is supposed to clear out the dead weight. That should have been a reset that gave the little guys a chance. Instead, we allowed it to more aggressively entrench a very fragile and cynical system no one trusts anymore. Hence, populism.
You fetishize the creative destruction of a recession all the time without ever explaining why it would be good for everyone to see more bankruptcies and monetary loss. The system clears out dead weight all the time. What happens in a financial crisis is that good stuff gets burned down too. How does a recession give a little guy a chance?

I understand where the populism comes from. It would have been worse if we'd had a big recession. See, e.g., the 1930s.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #132
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Overfinancialization led to 2008. We cured that by plowing massive amounts of money into the system, which did not trickle down to those most harmed. And the consequence was populism, which led to Trump, who hints at authoritarianism.
I think populism was caused much more by the elite's failures in
- failing to protect the country from Al Qaida on 9/11
- leading us into a war in Iraq to protect us from non-existent WMD, a war we have never stopped fighting
- the financial crisis

You're pointing your finger at an inadequate solution, not at the real problem(s). Note that other countries are struggling with similar issues, e.g., Brexit.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #133
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
You have to burn the forest every now and again to save it. If the system never "clears," the system grows more and more fragile, and when it runs into its next crisis, the result is cataclysmic.

Do I think we should follow the lead of Andrew Mellon in 1929? No. There are smart, limited things to be done to fix a problem. You don't let the world burn entirely. But when you fix the problem, you allow enough creative destruction to take place to wipe out most of the big players who caused the crisis, and allow smaller, more deserving and more innovative players to take their place.

Libertarianism stands for many bad things. But it stands for many good things. And one of those good things is allowing a stagnant system that has pretty much devolved into rentier/crony capitalism and financial engineering to collapse to the extent it should, and allow a better group of actors to take the place of the past regime. What's so bad about that? Oh, I know what's bad about that... Many of us, here, have our bread buttered by that rentier/crony capitalist system. It pays for our tony lifestyles which allow us to come here and complain about its unfairness, and advocate fixes at its margins, but never of a sort which would directly impact us. I believe the old term for this, worth dusting off, is "limousine liberal."
One of us here is living the libertarian's wet dream, and it's me. Just so we're clear on that.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #134
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quadfecta!

Quote:
The market is not all-knowing and perfect. And its greatest imperfection is rewarding the undeserving such as us, brokers, finance people, salesmen, etc. (the half parasitic, minimal value-add sectors of the work force) and depressing the wages of the deserving (GPs, teachers, first responders, etc.).

But how does one upend a system that values people like us at many multiples of a teacher's salary? How is that perverted situation remedied?

Well, you have to have a severe enough crisis to shock the system so badly that people begin to ask why a lawyer, or a broker, or some hedge fund analyst, makes so much money. You need a situation where either the market, or society, depresses the wages of the undeserving in favor of raising the wages of the deserving, such as teachers.
The skills that lawyers, brokers and hedge-fund analysts have makes them more valuable in a market economy than teachers. The only crisis I can think of that has been severe enough to cause people to rethink that was when the Khmer Rouge took over in Cambodia, which was certainly a shock to the system but actually didn't turn out all that well for pretty much anybody. And in Cambodia today, I will wager that lawyers are paid more than teachers.

I know many of my kids' teachers. I like many of them. I am pretty sure that I could do what they do passably well. I am pretty sure that they could not do what I do. I am sympathetic with your notion that what they do is, on some level, more important. I do what I do partly in order to be able to pay to live in a nice neighborhood with good schools and better teachers. If I didn't have them to support, maybe I'd quit my job and write a novel.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #135
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Legal questions from today's headlines: A contract that requires someone to lie under oath has got to be void against public policy, yes? Shouldn't a lawyer who drafts such a contract face ethical charges for suborning perjury?
Closed Thread