LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 242
0 members and 242 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #181
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
I have something of a history with former Senator David Vitter. He is vile, dishonest, and petty. Those are his good qualities. Imagine my surprise when I found out that his wife is more of a troll than he is.

She is up for a federal judgeship. She would not say whether the Supreme Court was right in 1954 to outlaw racially segregated public schools. She dodged the question when Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., asked during her Judiciary Committee hearing Wednesday (April 11) whether she thinks Brown v. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kan., was correctly decided.

The exchange with the Senator:

"Senator, I don't mean to be coy, but I think I get into a difficult area when I start commenting on Supreme Court decisions, which are correctly decided and which I may disagree with," said Vitter, who is married to former Sen. David Vitter, R-La. "That is Supreme Court precedent. It is binding. If I were honored to be confirmed, I would be bound by it and, of course I would uphold it."

He asked a second time: "Do you believe it was correctly decided?"

"And again, I will respectfully not comment on what could be my bosses' ruling, the Supreme Court. I would be bound by it, and if I start commenting on I agree with this case or don't agree with this case, I think we get into a slippery slope. ... If I'm honored to be confirmed, I would be bound by Supreme Court precedent and would follow it, and 5th Circuit [Court of Appeals] precedent."
He should have asked about another precedent, say Citizen's, that "conservatives" like, and see if her answer was different. I'm not saying she isn't a snake, but the quoted answer isn't improper.

I think Griswold was a great result, but I think the logic was for shit. I believe in a right of privacy, but it doesn't seem to be in the constitution, as least as Griswold was written. If I were nominated and asked the same question about Griswold, I'd probably answer how she did.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #182
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
I have something of a history with former Senator David Vitter. He is vile, dishonest, and petty. Those are his good qualities. Imagine my surprise when I found out that his wife is more of a troll than he is.

She is up for a federal judgeship. She would not say whether the Supreme Court was right in 1954 to outlaw racially segregated public schools. She dodged the question when Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., asked during her Judiciary Committee hearing Wednesday (April 11) whether she thinks Brown v. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kan., was correctly decided.

The exchange with the Senator:

"Senator, I don't mean to be coy, but I think I get into a difficult area when I start commenting on Supreme Court decisions, which are correctly decided and which I may disagree with," said Vitter, who is married to former Sen. David Vitter, R-La. "That is Supreme Court precedent. It is binding. If I were honored to be confirmed, I would be bound by it and, of course I would uphold it."

He asked a second time: "Do you believe it was correctly decided?"

"And again, I will respectfully not comment on what could be my bosses' ruling, the Supreme Court. I would be bound by it, and if I start commenting on I agree with this case or don't agree with this case, I think we get into a slippery slope. ... If I'm honored to be confirmed, I would be bound by Supreme Court precedent and would follow it, and 5th Circuit [Court of Appeals] precedent."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
He should have asked about another precedent, say Citizen's, that "conservatives" like, and see if her answer was different. I'm not saying she isn't a snake, but the quoted answer isn't improper.
Bullshit. If that's her position, then she could avoid the whole hearing by submitting a statement that read, "No matter my opinion, I will apply the law and strictly adhere to stare decisis at every opportunity."

Vitter, who was given a unanimous "unqualified" rating by the American Bar Association, was also grilled by lawmakers over her staunch anti-abortion views.

The 56-year-old nominee once accused Planned Parenthood of "killing over 150,000 females a year," seemingly without any proof to back it up.

"Do you stand by that statement?" Blumenthal asked her.

Vitter avoided the question, only saying that she will "set aside" her religious and personal views as a federal judge.

"You said Planned Parenthood kills 150,000 females. Do you stand by that statement? It's a yes or no question," Blumenthal pressed.

"My pro-life stance has been made very clear," Vitter responded.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3929024

This psycho is dangerous as fuck. she should not be on any bench, including one in a park I might visit.

TM
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #183
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Bullshit. If that's her position, then she could avoid the whole hearing by submitting a statement that read, "No matter my opinion, I will apply the law and strictly adhere to stare decisis at every opportunity."

Vitter, who was given a unanimous "unqualified" rating by the American Bar Association, was also grilled by lawmakers over her staunch anti-abortion views.

The 56-year-old nominee once accused Planned Parenthood of "killing over 150,000 females a year," seemingly without any proof to back it up.

"Do you stand by that statement?" Blumenthal asked her.

Vitter avoided the question, only saying that she will "set aside" her religious and personal views as a federal judge.

"You said Planned Parenthood kills 150,000 females. Do you stand by that statement? It's a yes or no question," Blumenthal pressed.

"My pro-life stance has been made very clear," Vitter responded.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3929024

This psycho is dangerous as fuck. she should not be on any bench, including one in a park I might visit.

TM
A judge shouldn't express "feelings" about binding precedent. Most judges must have feelings about what came before that they must follow. They shouldn't allow that to impact decisions. The whole "how do you feel about X" grew out of Roe. I doubt it came up before the 80s.

I don't disagree she probably believes whites and blacks shouldn't be in school together, but without the "how do you feel about Citizen's" question the answer appears okay. If one of Pony's associates came back with this as a dep transcript, he'd fire the guy. Ask the money question, not just the one that causes your base to post quotes of your question on social media.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #184
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
A judge shouldn't express "feelings" about binding precedent. Most judges must have feelings about what came before that they must follow. They shouldn't allow that to impact decisions. The whole "how do you feel about X" grew out of Roe. I doubt it came up before the 80s.

I don't disagree she probably believes whites and blacks shouldn't be in school together, but without the "how do you feel about Citizen's" question the answer appears okay. If one of Pony's associates came back with this as a dep transcript, he'd fire the guy. Ask the money question, not just the one that causes your base to post quotes of your question on social media.
I don't get how one has a meaningful hearing without discussing a judge's views on legal precedent and process. I just don't see what the purpose is without that.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #185
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

By the way, a quick google came up with this page, featuring hearings from S.Ct. nominees going back to 1971. A quick look at the oldest one, for Powell, showed a rather interesting discussion of the Miranda case between Powell, a lawyer who had not practiced criminal law and professed to not have strongly developed views, but who had still spoken out against the case, and a Senator who seemed to know much more about the applicable caselaw than Powell. The discussion was frank, open, and had an odd tone of humility.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #186
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
By the way, a quick google came up with this page, featuring hearings from S.Ct. nominees going back to 1971. A quick look at the oldest one, for Powell, showed a rather interesting discussion of the Miranda case between Powell, a lawyer who had not practiced criminal law and professed to not have strongly developed views, but who had still spoken out against the case, and a Senator who seemed to know much more about the applicable caselaw than Powell. The discussion was frank, open, and had an odd tone of humility.
He should have asked the question about Citizen's.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #187
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:

I don't really want to continue this. I don't disagree with you when it comes to judges who are qualified for the positions they are being nominated for. However, the ABA graded her as unqualified. If she is unqualified, there is only one reason why she is being nominated to the bench and that's her ideology. If she refuses to answer questions about even basic positions she's taken publicly (and I think the headline should have been more about her positions on abortion) and declines to answer questions about where she stands on settled law, then she should be deemed a danger to our system of justice and not allowed anywhere near a bench.

TM
Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #188
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
It's not improper, it's just disqualifying. All she had to say is "of course."
Old 04-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #189
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I don't really want to continue this. I don't disagree with you when it comes to judges who are qualified for the positions they are being nominated for. However, the ABA graded her as unqualified. If she is unqualified, there is only one reason why she is being nominated to the bench and that's her ideology. If she refuses to answer questions about even basic positions she's taken publicly (and I think the headline should have been more about her positions on abortion) and declines to answer questions about where she stands on settled law, then she should be deemed a danger to our system of justice and not allowed anywhere near a bench.

TM
I agree with everything you wrote. To me anyone that outspoken on abortion should be DOA for nomination. But that she was even nominated shows how far the senate has likely slipped.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #190
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

So when you go on the tv and say "I did a crime for the guy, he didn't even know about it" and then the guy goes on the tv and says "I didn't even know about it" it turns out that makes it hard to claim that anything about it is really privileged, ya know?

Just an fyi for y'all to keep in mind.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #191
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
So when you go on the tv and say "I did a crime for the guy, he didn't even know about it" and then the guy goes on the tv and says "I didn't even know about it" it turns out that makes it hard to claim that anything about it is really privileged, ya know?

Just an fyi for y'all to keep in mind.
You are presupposing that it was a crime. See, e.g. John Edwards' acquittal - https://nypost.com/2018/04/10/trump-...itions-expert/.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #192
Icky Thump

Weird story number 90

There’s an older woman at the gym who scrubs every bike she gets on like she’s prepping for surgery. When I get off my bike (which I wipe like a normal person) she gets right on.

Is she hitting on me?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #193
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Weird story number 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
There’s an older woman at the gym who scrubs every bike she gets on like she’s prepping for surgery. When I get off my bike (which I wipe like a normal person) she gets right on.

Is she hitting on me?
Yes.

Please let us know as things develop.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #194
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Yes.

Please let us know as things develop.
They won't.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #195
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post

Is she hitting on me?
Maybe she's commenting on your workout intensity?