LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 278
0 members and 278 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #2476
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I had a bucket handle...26 years ago (holy shit). Surgeon sewed it back together and I've been good as new ever since.
Good as new for someone with a deformed ear lobe, you mean.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #2477
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
ON which side? The predatory companies using borderline illegal tactics to collect purchased debt or the deadbeats who didn't pay for their lavish spending?
I've only dealt with the predatory collection tactics of the IRS (on behalf of clients)...actually not predatory but so unbelievably stupid that it seemed like the stupidity was intentional. It took YEARS to convince them that my client actually didn't owe them six figures.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #2478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Good as new for someone with a deformed ear lobe, you mean.
Don't do a google image search for this. I implore you.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #2479
Hank Chinaski

Actual fashion post!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Don't do a google image search for this. I implore you.
How many coltranes does it take to change a lightbulb? Well, one, but make sure that one has like a complete head cover on. You don't want to see that ear lobe under the full power of the new light bulb.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 06-08-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #2480
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
ON which side? The predatory companies using borderline illegal tactics to collect purchased debt or the deadbeats who didn't pay for their lavish spending?
Curious about the process that happens after the latter happens and before the former happens. Suppose someone runs up a big bill and then wants to argue to the card issuer that em shouldn't have to pay. What happens after that? Inquiring minds want to know.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #2481
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You can get to 225. You can get to 250 if you try.

And in return, you will get shoulder pain that wakes you in the middle of the night.

I was cranking up the numbers like crazy, as putting on muscle makes it easier to keep off weight. Then, about six months ago, out of the blue, the pain started. Aleve kills off some of it, but man... it's like my arms and shoulders just said, "Nope. You're an old fuck. We're not having this shit anymore."
Hard pass. It also seems to me that soccer players look the best. So it's been cardio, HIIT, cardio, cardio, HIIT
Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #2482

Re: Actual fashion post!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
How many coltranes does it take to change a lightbulb? Well, one, but make sure that one has like a complete head cover on. You don't want to see that ear lobe under the full power of the new light bulb.
You should tell this joke at The Moth.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #2483
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
My favorite story ever was ....

TM
Been thinking on this one-

I'm living outside DC. My good friend is a french guy who is there to take classes at George Mason. He loves b-ball but never really played. We decide we are going to the GMU IM building to play. Frenchie brings 3 friends from the "foreign students club" i think, 3 guys from Morocco. One named Moustafa, nickname- Moose.
So we get on a court against 5 Americans. I'm the best player (not bragging, these guys weren't much- big ego, but little skill), and guarding me is a cocky white guy, like 19 maybe, wearing a t-shirt from "Some Name" basketball camp.

We start running, and my guys are soccer players, none of them have played ball but they can run constantly. All I was doing was passing (I went to MSU just after Magic, every player from then passes probably too much), it wasn't about me, it was my teammates getting the moment.

And we are getting killed at first. One fat guy on their team bulls in against Moose and scores at will, he's too big, and Moose doesn't know how to hack guard a fat guy. And the other team is goofing on us, especially as my guys keep yelling encouragement to "Moose." It's funny, his name was funny! All 5 of them are talking straight trash- i mean, they're beating 4 foreigners, what's to talk about?

Say the game went to 15. At about 8-2, they start slowing. They cannot keep up. And fat guy does as they do, and really has no energy to keep moving. And my guys start learning to make uncontested layups, because now they're getting them every time down. and we win 15-10.

Stupid kid guarding me says something like, "my teammates let you win." i said, "your dad should call "Some Name" and demand his money back."

I always loved the talking as much as the results.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #2484
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Curious about the process that happens after the latter happens and before the former happens. Suppose someone runs up a big bill and then wants to argue to the card issuer that em shouldn't have to pay. What happens after that? Inquiring minds want to know.
Card tries to collect, eventually sells debt to collector at some discount; collector uses more aggressive tactics; if unsuccessful sells to another collector with even seemier tactics.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #2485
Icky Thump

Quote:
Card tries to collect, eventually sells debt to collector at some discount; collector uses more aggressive tactics; if unsuccessful sells to another collector with even seemier tactics.
If it's a lot, they sue you. If not so much, they write it off and fuck up your credit.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #2486
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
If it's a lot, they sue you. If not so much, they write it off and fuck up your credit.
If you hire a lawyer who specializes in (fighting) debt collection, is he adding value in litigation that suit, or in understanding what buttons to push to drive a settlement, or both, or something else?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #2487
Icky Thump

Quote:
If you hire a lawyer who specializes in (fighting) debt collection, is he adding value in litigation that suit, or in understanding what buttons to push to drive a settlement, or both, or something else?
In my experience, some of the lawyers who defend that stuff got kicked out of the fake personal injury case law firms. On the other hand some will know "Amex takes 55% so don't offer 56%."

Be advised if you settle for less than full value I think it still stays on your credit as a chargeoff.

All of this info comes from my pre-law career as in-house credit & collections for a credit card company so not sure if the law has changed in 25 years.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #2488
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Anyone have experience with collections of credit-card debt?
Purchased or held by lender? Former can be settled at steep discounts. Latter can be a pain in the ass.

Varies widely depending on state. In states with tenancy by entireties and bar against wage garnishment, you can stalemate creditor pretty effectively. In states without those things, it can be a real pain for a W-2d debtor.

If collector violated FDCPA, you can get a $3-10k settlement (legal fees recoverable under act).

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 06-11-2018 at 04:55 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #2489
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
In my experience, some of the lawyers who defend that stuff got kicked out of the fake personal injury case law firms. On the other hand some will know "Amex takes 55% so don't offer 56%."

Be advised if you settle for less than full value I think it still stays on your credit as a chargeoff.

All of this info comes from my pre-law career as in-house credit & collections for a credit card company so not sure if the law has changed in 25 years.
I used to buy and collect portfolios. Four out of five guys who defend those cases are serious bottom feeders. But the fifth guy is the prick who brings the FDCPA claim. Those guys drove us nuts. Settlement here, settlement there, and soon enough you're out real money.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #2490
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You don't need a lawyer. Call up and negotiate for 20% if it's purchased (portfolios sell at .2 to .10). And call on third to last day of month. Collectors get desperate to make their numbers in the last week, and month to month performance of portfolios is closely scrutinized, as we always wanted to resell the poorly performing paper quickly, before it's out of statute of limitations and its value drops.

If debt is still held by lender, do the same. But understand, you don't have as much leverage.