LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 364
0 members and 364 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #166
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Does the GOP want Trump to fire Mueller?
I dont know. It would give them cover to impeach and get Pence, but most would have to admit that they were deceived, or weren't deceived but supported him anyway, by such an obvious charlatan, thief, asshole, buffoon, con artist, etc.

He took his bullshit to too high a level of scrutiny, and the law is coming for him.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/1...ohen-raid.html
Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #167
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
I dont know. It would give them cover to impeach and get Pence, but most would have to admit that they were deceived, or weren't deceived but supported him anyway, by such an obvious charlatan, thief, asshole, buffoon, con artist, etc.

He took his bullshit to too high a level of scrutiny, and the law is coming for him.
All I can say is poor Paul Ryan has lost his chance if he can't get a couple impeachments going in the next eight months.

Query: outgoing speaker is raised to Presidency through succession this December, does he keep the job in the next Congress or does Speaker Nancy become President in January?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #168
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post

That was a great editorial, but particularly the end:

"Among the grotesqueries that faded into the background of Mr. Trump’s carnival of misgovernment during the past 24 hours was that Monday’s meeting was ostensibly called to discuss a matter of global significance: a reported chemical weapons attack on Syrian civilians. Mr. Trump instead made it about him, with his narcissistic and self-pitying claim that the investigation represented an attack on the country “in a true sense.”

No, Mr. Trump — a true attack on America is what happened on, say, Sept. 11, 2001. Remember that one? Thousands of people lost their lives. Your response was to point out that the fall of the twin towers meant your building was now the tallest in downtown Manhattan. Of course, that also wasn’t true."

Mic fucking drop.

I am not sorry.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #169
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
All I can say is poor Paul Ryan has lost his chance if he can't get a couple impeachments going in the next eight months.

Query: outgoing speaker is raised to Presidency through succession this December, does he keep the job in the next Congress or does Speaker Nancy become President in January?
I'd agree to a deal that let Ryan take the White House in exchange for impeachment of two ahead of him.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #170
ferrets_bueller

The Speaker departs:
Old 04-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #171
ferrets_bueller

That was supposed to be rats, sinking ship, etc. No computor skillz.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #172
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I'd agree to a deal that let Ryan take the White House in exchange for impeachment of two ahead of him.
I would take that deal too. I don't even need impeachment - just resignations.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #173
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I would take that deal too. I don't even need impeachment - just resignations.
I'm hoping for a "health event" myself, but any way to get them out works for me.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #174
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
The Speaker departs:
We found out that he’s a lying sack of shit fraud a long time ago when he lied about his marathon PR. Every runner I know knows his/her PR TO THE SECOND.

A stain on my alma mater.

From wiki:

“He often visited the office of libertarian professor Richard Hart to discuss the theories of these economists and of Ayn Rand.[23][33] Hart introduced Ryan to National Review,[23] and with Hart's recommendation Ryan began an internship in the D.C. office of Wisconsin U.S. Senator Bob Kasten where he worked with Kasten's foreign affairs adviser.”

I too took a few classes with Professor Hart, but ditched Ayn Rand and The Dave Mathews Band when I graduated.

That’s not true - I listened to DMB in law school.

Last edited by Did you just call me Coltrane?; 04-11-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #175
LessinSF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Slave says that blowing a .337 has the same effect as blowing a .03 or a .45.
Former 49er and Raider Aldon Smith did better - he was .40 when he showed up to be fitted for an alcohol monitor - https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...d-12826511.php
Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #176
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Name a "pure democracy" that has ever "collapsed."
Name me a scenario in which the tragedy of the commons would not apply. Given enough time, any pure democracy will fail. It's like the sun coming up tomorrow.

The purest democracy would be one in which people vote for everything by referendum. How long could a country that did that survive? Maybe a century?

And "collapse" should include "morph into something else" or "require bailout" to survive.

Quote:
I pointed to the Nordics because they should be closer to "collapse" than us, having voted themselves more benefits.
Give them time. If the oil were to run dry, do you think the people would stop voting themselves more benefits? Not a chance.

Quote:
To your way of thinking, they are "mature" and we are "crass and class ambitious" (? to all of the above) so somehow your theory is that mature pure democracies are slower to collapse than crass ones except that still if they are pure then the collapse is coming inevitably just like the Incas and the Hapsburgs, except those weren't pure democracies so uh, hey, look over there!
The tragedy of the commons problem moves slower in European countries because they are not 70% consumer driven economies. Their "maturity" also includes less class friction and antagonism toward government.

In Europe, where people have gone through millennia of wars, the ability to adapt is greater. Our history is much shorter, we've been trained to expect more (we are a spoiled culture), we've not been compelled to adapt to lower living standards very much, and distrust of authority and revolt at class stratification are defining traits of the national character. This leads me to believe that we'll vote ourselves into bankruptcy if allowed (both the rich through tax breaks and the poor through benefit demands) more quickly than a Nordic country.

Also, we're 30X, 40X the size of those countries? And we're a much more diverse population. We don't rally together and sacrifice as easily.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #177
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Name me a scenario in which the tragedy of the commons would not apply. Given enough time, any pure democracy will fail. It's like the sun coming up tomorrow.
Okay, now re-run your analysis but instead of assuming that everyone is entirely motivated by financial self-interest, people actually have complex and varying systems of values.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #178
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Sebby: Rich people need to keep exploiting poor people, because every time a country tries to treat poor people equally, it inevitably results in societal collapse.

Me: Like when?

Sebby: Did I say inevitable? I meant hypothetical. Same thing, really. Stop paying attention to my words. The important thing is, poor people need to keep getting screwed, for their own good and everyone else's. Also, none of you people understand that ordinary people voted for Trump because the economy is so awful, and the current system is broken. We to tear it all down in an orgy of creative destruction. But not by letting poor people have an equal say in the government. That's much too dangerous.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #179
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Sebby: Rich people need to keep exploiting poor people, because every time a country tries to treat poor people equally, it inevitably results in societal collapse.

Me: Like when?

Sebby: Did I say inevitable? I meant hypothetical. Same thing, really. Stop paying attention to my words. The important thing is, poor people need to keep getting screwed, for their own good and everyone else's. Also, none of you people understand that ordinary people voted for Trump because the economy is so awful, and the current system is broken. We to tear it all down in an orgy of creative destruction. But not by letting poor people have an equal say in the government. That's much too dangerous.
I remember back when words didn't come in salads.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #180
ferrets_bueller

I have something of a history with former Senator David Vitter. He is vile, dishonest, and petty. Those are his good qualities. Imagine my surprise when I found out that his wife is more of a troll than he is.

She is up for a federal judgeship. She would not say whether the Supreme Court was right in 1954 to outlaw racially segregated public schools. She dodged the question when Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., asked during her Judiciary Committee hearing Wednesday (April 11) whether she thinks Brown v. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kan., was correctly decided.

The exchange with the Senator:

"Senator, I don't mean to be coy, but I think I get into a difficult area when I start commenting on Supreme Court decisions, which are correctly decided and which I may disagree with," said Vitter, who is married to former Sen. David Vitter, R-La. "That is Supreme Court precedent. It is binding. If I were honored to be confirmed, I would be bound by it and, of course I would uphold it."

He asked a second time: "Do you believe it was correctly decided?"

"And again, I will respectfully not comment on what could be my bosses' ruling, the Supreme Court. I would be bound by it, and if I start commenting on I agree with this case or don't agree with this case, I think we get into a slippery slope. ... If I'm honored to be confirmed, I would be bound by Supreme Court precedent and would follow it, and 5th Circuit [Court of Appeals] precedent."
Closed Thread