LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 99
0 members and 99 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #2926
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Kinda, sorta, Legal type post.

I'm getting tired of sitting around at home trying to pretend that academic writing is as fun as real work. I'm also sick of being so freaking broke all the time.

I am looking for any consulting, review, or co-counsel type arrangement. I need to stay in Chicago right now, and I am not quite up to a full BIGLAW day at the office, but I am comfortable with telecommuting. If anybody runs across something, please try to think of me.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #2927
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

A Legal Question,If You Will

Event A happens on January 15, Year Z. S/L is two years from date of event. If the case is filed on January 15, Year Z+2, is it within the S/L or must it be filed January 14?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #2928
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: A Legal Question,If You Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
Event A happens on January 15, Year Z. S/L is two years from date of event. If the case is filed on January 15, Year Z+2, is it within the S/L or must it be filed January 14?
I believe the 15th would be fine, but I would always file the 14th out of paranoia.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #2929
Icky Thump

Quote:
Start counting the day after the event.

http://avidanstern.blogspot.com/2011...atutes-of.html

BUT BUT BUT, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever wait. I generally file cases within a month of getting them because shit goes wrong exponentially more the longer you wait.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #2930
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
From discovery of event or from discovery of damage caused by event?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #2931
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
From discovery of event or from discovery of damage caused by event?
I think it's date of the event; the action is in the Claims Court of Illinois and they are pretty strict in waiving sovereign immunity. In this case, it was a slip and fall, so date of event and date of discovery were the same.

I'm filing this for my daughter, who is going pro se with some help from me. She can't find a litigator to take it because the damages are light and the fee is limited by statute to 20%.

The Clerk told me that as long as it is date-stamped by the date of the event, it's within the limitations period.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #2932
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
I think it's date of the event; the action is in the Claims Court of Illinois and they are pretty strict in waiving sovereign immunity. In this case, it was a slip and fall, so date of event and date of discovery were the same.

I'm filing this for my daughter, who is going pro se with some help from me. She can't find a litigator to take it because the damages are light and the fee is limited by statute to 20%.

The Clerk told me that as long as it is date-stamped by the date of the event, it's within the limitations period.
I see. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #2933
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: It was the wrong thread

Question: Is it fair play for a prospective employer to tell a candidate who is evaluating other offers “don’t accept any offers until you talk to me”, and then not extend any offer at all?

Imagine that the candidate in question was a finalist for two positions, neither of which is perfect, and with uncertain terms for compensation among other things. Employer #1 tells Candidate to hold off on accepting any offers from Employer #2 until he gets a chance to counter. Candidate gets pressure from Employer #2 to accept the offer, but agrees to wait because Employer #1 is still selecting. On the drop-dead Friday that Candidate gives for an offer, she waits until 3:00 pm without a call, so she sends an e-mail saying she will go with Employer #2. Employer #1 responds with an e-mail saying that he regrets he is unable to make an offer. This leads me to conclude Employer #1 was just trying to keep a fish on the line as long as possible, but doing so by implying that an offer of some kind was forthcoming. Which is surprising, since an answer that “Sorry you felt you had to take the other offer but we're still evaluating; we’re sorry we couldn’t meet the timeline but we understand” would have also been an acceptable answer (and seems safer from an EPL standpoint, FWIW). Only giving a “no” answer at that stage makes it seem like the answer was already no, making the “don’t accept elsewhere before talking to me” seem weird, unless it’s now something employers say just to string people along.

(I’m not asking because I’m on the market; this relates to a someone I’m advising. I’m mostly curious whether people on the demand side of the labor equation think this is fair play.)
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #2934
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
Question: Is it fair play for a prospective employer to tell a candidate who is evaluating other offers “don’t accept any offers until you talk to me”, and then not extend any offer at all?

Imagine that the candidate in question was a finalist for two positions, neither of which is perfect, and with uncertain terms for compensation among other things. Employer #1 tells Candidate to hold off on accepting any offers from Employer #2 until he gets a chance to counter. Candidate gets pressure from Employer #2 to accept the offer, but agrees to wait because Employer #1 is still selecting. On the drop-dead Friday that Candidate gives for an offer, she waits until 3:00 pm without a call, so she sends an e-mail saying she will go with Employer #2. Employer #1 responds with an e-mail saying that he regrets he is unable to make an offer. This leads me to conclude Employer #1 was just trying to keep a fish on the line as long as possible, but doing so by implying that an offer of some kind was forthcoming. Which is surprising, since an answer that “Sorry you felt you had to take the other offer but we're still evaluating; we’re sorry we couldn’t meet the timeline but we understand” would have also been an acceptable answer (and seems safer from an EPL standpoint, FWIW). Only giving a “no” answer at that stage makes it seem like the answer was already no, making the “don’t accept elsewhere before talking to me” seem weird, unless it’s now something employers say just to string people along.

(I’m not asking because I’m on the market; this relates to a someone I’m advising. I’m mostly curious whether people on the demand side of the labor equation think this is fair play.)
It's an asshole move. But you're making a big assumption in saying Employer 1had known from the outset they weren't going to make an offer.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #2935
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

What kind of position is this? Generic associate position as part of a mass hiring, or something later in the career, where there is likely one job and many candidates?

On my side of the table, the thing I always feel worst about is where we have an offer out but have to keep our number 2 and 3 choices alive in case the person declines. That is, frankly, a situation that sucks, where employers are assholes by nature and there is not much to be done about it, and it could well be what is going on here. We don't want to say, "we like you but you're not our number 1" when we may, a week later, be saying, "we love you the mostest now". I find it especially tough when I liked the number 2 or 3 choice better, but had to give way to a broader view on the first choice.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #2936
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

Not worth being bothered or thinking about much. #1 might simply be pissed he couldn't get details together in time, in that sense "he was unable to make an offer."
Old 05-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #2937
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
What kind of position is this? Generic associate position as part of a mass hiring, or something later in the career, where there is likely one job and many candidates?
Non-legal. Teaching profession. Hard to know the size of the applicant pool but probably less than 10, for what they said they were looking for, which may have changed as the process went forward.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #2938
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Not worth being bothered or thinking about much. #1 might simply be pissed he couldn't get details together in time, in that sense "he was unable to make an offer."
Helpful, thanks.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #2939
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Non-legal. Teaching profession. Hard to know the size of the applicant pool but probably less than 10, for what they said they were looking for, which may have changed as the process went forward.
There's a lot of bureaucracy and politics in hiring teachers. I can believe they couldn't get their shit together for a deadline set by the candidate. Normal disfunction, not assholic behavior.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #2940
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
There's a lot of bureaucracy and politics in hiring teachers. I can believe they couldn't get their shit together for a deadline set by the candidate. Normal disfunction, not assholic behavior.
Agreed, thanks. Had a bit of a vine of interrupting the person who is breaking up with you to say you’re breaking up with them first. It was the “don’t accept any other offers” part that added a weird, sleazy real estate broker twist to the whole thing.