LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 126
0 members and 126 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #901
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Yeah, I don't think that's even remotely true. In fact, I think those who expect little from the state are especially likely to leverage themselves for McMansions and fancy vehicles while decrying the real moochers who get food stamps.

But I can introduce you to some car-free vegans who make their own clothes if you'd like to see saving and conserving.
You're describing a form of entitled spendthrift who expects quite a lot from the state. I'm talking about an animal entirely different from the Keep Up with the Joneses crowd.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #902
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You're describing a form of entitled spendthrift who expects quite a lot from the state. I'm talking about an animal entirely different from the Keep Up with the Joneses crowd.
I think the name for the animal you are talking about is "unicorn."

I am not sorry.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #903
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I think the name for the animal you are talking about is "unicorn."
I love unicorns. Are they sparkly ones?

They aren't the ice-cream pooping unicorns, are they?
Old 06-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #904
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
One of our first babysitters ran with a freegan crowd.
I just made the mistake of reading a bunch of comments from Trumpsters and Berners posting on the FB page of one of our members.

It is clear that our educational system grossly failed white middle aged men. We seem to have a "lost generation" of almost totally useless twats. What kind of reforms are needed to fix this situation? Is immigration the only answer? Is it possible that white men are simply genetically deficient and there is nothing that can be done here?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #905
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Happy Independent Day!

The definition of family time with trumpsters: having a relative who admits to never having heard of lifetime caps then lecture me on how insurance works (with a 7th grader's level of understanding).
Old 07-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #906
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Scott Turow was right.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #907
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

This is really well written.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #908
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Bernie 2020

If anything about the election of the last two Presidents tells me anything, it's that there is an extreme movement in the opposite direction of whoever just won office (even after we've voted for two terms of the polar opposite).

Bush sucked all the ass and because he was so terrible, we were able to elect a black man named Barack Hussein Obama.

Obama won by huge margins, but the next time around, the country swung all the way off the map to vote for an intellectually challenged moron who coats himself in gold.

Anyone going to prove to me that Bernie isn't going to win in 2020?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...e-sanders-2020

TM
Old 07-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #909
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Bernie 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
If anything about the election of the last two Presidents tells me anything, it's that there is an extreme movement in the opposite direction of whoever just won office (even after we've voted for two terms of the polar opposite).

Bush sucked all the ass and because he was so terrible, we were able to elect a black man named Barack Hussein Obama.

Obama won by huge margins, but the next time around, the country swung all the way off the map to vote for an intellectually challenged moron who coats himself in gold.

TM
Talking up Sanders now seems like talking up Dean in 2005. In 2006, there's a reaction to an unpopular President and Democrats take back the House. The 2008 nomination goes not to Dean, who is now old news, but to a new Senator who had been a state legislator in 2004, not on anyone's radar. Sanders is indeed the most prominent Democratic candidate right now, but lots will happen before November 2020.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #910
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post

TM
"Prove"? Why would anyone try.

I think his recent retrenchment on healthcare is a sign he's thinking hard about it. He's basically adopted Hillary's approach as the right "short term" solution and backed away from single payer rhetoric. I think he finally looked hard at health care and figured out if he pushed single payer as a serious candidate, he'd have to answer all the questions on it no one ever bothers to try to address.

Expect to see him furiously reaching out to minority leaders soon.

It's always been hard for even a popular president to win a "third term" and be followed by someone of his own party. But it seems to be getting harder.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #911
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: The Stupid! The Stupid!

So with an international crisis going on over North Korea's ICBM, at a point when a President gathers a team of his best minds and most skilled experts, Trump was tweeting about the possibility of independent military action from Japan, a country without a military, and South Korea, a country that has faced the specter of missile attacks for decades and won't make a move against the North without US backing.

Just how stupid are these people?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #912
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
So with an international crisis going on over North Korea's ICBM, at a point when a President gathers a team of his best minds and most skilled experts, Trump was tweeting about the possibility of independent military action from Japan, a country without a military, and South Korea, a country that has faced the specter of missile attacks for decades and won't make a move against the North without US backing.

Just how stupid are these people?
Pretty stupid. OTOH, there seems to be a national consensus not to admit that it's futile to hope that we can stop another country from developing technology that we developed 75 years ago, or that we have few good options.

eta: But the people working for him may not be quite as stupid.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 07-05-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #913
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Pretty stupid. OTOH, there seems to be a national consensus not to admit that it's futile to hope that we can stop another country from developing technology that we developed 75 years ago, or that we have few good options.
But but but... Trump said that we were done with "strategic patience" and that he'd stop North Korea ....
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #914
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
But but but... Trump said that we were done with "strategic patience" and that he'd stop North Korea ....
Nothing has changed.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #915
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Talking up Sanders now seems like talking up Dean in 2005. In 2006, there's a reaction to an unpopular President and Democrats take back the House. The 2008 nomination goes not to Dean, who is now old news, but to a new Senator who had been a state legislator in 2004, not on anyone's radar. Sanders is indeed the most prominent Democratic candidate right now, but lots will happen before November 2020.
Yes. Lots can happen. That's deep.

I think Sanders is very different than Obama. Obama's rise was because he was so charismatic and different. While Bernie may not have the charisma, he is certainly different. And he's got a lot of fanatics who are going to push very hard for him.

I think it's Biden's party until someone proves it isn't. I love Schiff, but he may be a little too stiff to move the needle. Although, after 4 years of fucking Trump, that may be exactly what everyone is looking for.

TM
Closed Thread