LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 195
0 members and 195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #2536
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Lil help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
ETA you are right, some cases are filed in WD Mi. Others in CA state. No one files these as a class. And no one who has a choice files in federal court.
not to be snide, but when you have IP interest I use my expertise- like how many patents for aircraft seating "improvements" have i sent you? MSU cut a $500 Million check. The amount the firm walked with cannot be sealed, can it?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #2537
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
not to be snide, but when you have IP interest I use my expertise- like how many patents for aircraft seating "improvements" have i sent you? MSU cut a $500 Million check. The amount the firm walked with cannot be sealed, can it?
Like most posts of yours, this leaves me confused. I have no idea but if it's a personal injury case, it's subject to a retainer which may or may not be filed. It could be 1/3 or it could be separately negotiated. But it doesn't have to be court-approved, unlike a class action.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 08-28-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #2538
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Like most posts of yours, this leaves me confused. I have no idea but if it's a personal injury case, it's subject to a retainer which may or may not be filed. It could be 1/3 or it could be separately negotiated. But it doesn't have to be court-approved, unlike a class action.
I’m trying to figure out how much each P walked with. (500-X)/y

X= firm’s take y= number of Ps

Is this transparent enough?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #2539
Icky Thump

Quote:
I’m trying to figure out how much each P walked with. (500-X)/y

X= firm’s take y= number of Ps

Is this transparent enough?
That's generally agreed as confidential. "Ten dollars and other good and valuable consideration" is what's put in a release. Ken Feinberg (if he's handling the settlements) may have a matrix. Meaning, 22, years old, injured 30 times over 4 years = $3 million. Not sure if that's public but likely not.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #2540
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: And we can always hit the Russian Tea Room and feel fancy, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Dude, come on, I know you're not a tourist in NY anymore but just like a native, but people who only get to the city every blue moon want a bagel or bialey, some cheesecake, maybe a knish or some deli.
Cheesecake. People in NY don't give a shit about cheesecake. That's a scam they've pulling on tourists since the 70s.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #2541
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
As a lifetime New Yorker and pizza aficionado, I am firmly on Team New Haven.

For NY pizza, listen to Prez (who has NOT done Totonno, which is the best) but Johns of Bleeker, DIFara in Midwood, the original Grimaldi's by Brooklyn Bridge. The other Grimaldi chain locations are meh.
Roberta's. Although, I've heard good things about DiFara and Grimaldi's. I just ain't waitin' in no line for no pizza.

But here's the thing that people don't get. New York isn't about having the single best pizza pie in the world. It's about an abundance of great pizza within 5 minutes of wherever you are currently standing. You already know this, but here, it's a staple. You can get a great slice at a thousand places. If you want a great, sit-down experience, we've got it (as you've noted in your post), but when people rave about NY's pizza it's about abundant high quality.

TM
Old 09-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #2542
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Cheesecake. People in NY don't give a shit about cheesecake. That's a scam they've pulling on tourists since the 70s.

TM
I don't call bullshit a lot but I call bullshit. Granted no one in NY eats it anymore except for more than 1x a year, but we very much want it, care about it, fantasize about it every day.

You could say the same thing about bagels or bialies. Knishes are a historical item no one gives a shit about except tourists.

I recently ate a knish at Yonah Schimell Knishery. It wasn't worth the calories I had to block out. It fucking sucked. And the place was crawling with tour groups.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #2543
Icky Thump

Quote:
Roberta's. Although, I've heard good things about DiFara and Grimaldi's. I just ain't waitin' in no line for no pizza.

But here's the thing that people don't get. New York isn't about having the single best pizza pie in the world. It's about an abundance of great pizza within 5 minutes of wherever you are currently standing. You already know this, but here, it's a staple. You can get a great slice at a thousand places. If you want a great, sit-down experience, we've got it (as you've noted in your post), but when people rave about NY's pizza it's about abundant high quality.

TM
Roberta's=too hipster for me.

I recently went to DiFara for the 1st time. Absolutely nothing to write home about. Very average. NOT worth waiting in line for (which I didn't, I just had a wake very nearby).

Grimaldi is the same. A little better than OK but I would never wait in line, and only go to the Coney Island location if Totonno is closed.

Totonno, Pepe and Sally's are the only ones I would wait in line for. But you generally don't have to.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #2544
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: can't think of anything clever for here{sad face}

Quote:
Well, we shall return. Didn't get Jean Danet, got some Juniors and got some other kind that was at Chelsea Market and got some Elaines. Son claims he can beat them all, and still thinks the best Cheesecake he has ever had comes from Cheesy Eddies in Rochester, NY (their cheesecakes are in-sane!).
Tell him to beat the velvet cake from Amy's Bread and he'll be doing god's work.

Chelsea Market used to be a place I went all the time. Now, if I set foot in there, I will most definitely put my foot up someone's ass.

However, the best lobster roll I've ever had (yes, yes, MA does it better I'm sure) is at Cull and Pistol in Chelsea Market. Holy shit.

Quote:
As to Rockaway, one of my cousin's kids lived there when Sandy hit. Now he lives elsewhere. I don't think I've actually set food there yet.
Rockaway is a waste of time. I went to HS out there. There is a decent fish taco place there now and maybe 2 good restaurants. The rest is basura.

TM
Old 09-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #2545
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I don't call bullshit a lot but I call bullshit. Granted no one in NY eats it anymore except for more than 1x a year, but we very much want it, care about it, fantasize about it every day.
I love (fourless) cheesecake and make it at Thanksgiving every year. So I'm not saying people don't want it. I'm saying New York cheesecake isn't really a thing. It's just fucking cheesecake.

Quote:
You could say the same thing about bagels or bialies. Knishes are a historical item no one gives a shit about except tourists.

I recently ate a knish at Yonah Schimell Knishery. It wasn't worth the calories I had to block out. It fucking sucked. And the place was crawling with tour groups.
Let me tell you something. I lament the disappearance of the hot dog guy/corner knish. Those things fucking filled you up and were fantastic. One of those butter-potato bricks could hold you over for a week. Extra mustard of course.

Damn, man. They're fucking gone. And the ones in the Jewish delis have never been as good. MSG used to do them really well too. Gone.

TM
Old 09-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #2546
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Roberta's=too hipster for me.
Fair enough. But the pizza is the real deal. So fucking good.

TM
Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #2547
Icky Thump

Quote:
I love (fourless) cheesecake and make it at Thanksgiving every year. So I'm not saying people don't want it. I'm saying New York cheesecake isn't really a thing. It's just fucking cheesecake.
Probably but Jean Danet is the shit. Juniors a step better than most others.
Quote:
Let me tell you something. I lament the disappearance of the hot dog guy/corner knish. Those things fucking filled you up and were fantastic. One of those butter-potato bricks could hold you over for a week. Extra mustard of course.

Damn, man. They're fucking gone. And the ones in the Jewish delis have never been as good. MSG used to do them really well too. Gone.

TM
I thought they were in random spots of MSG and Citifield but maybe gone (last year and this). The carts were the best. They used to leave those fuckers on the grill until the exterior was like a crust. And yes, I agree on the spicy mustard.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #2548
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Fair enough. But the pizza is the real deal. So fucking good.

TM
It is. But I don’t get going there just for that, given the even field you mention. My kid lived near it for a few months and a friend’s kid was soys chef for a year so I’d go, but take the train there just for that? I just don’t see it. Unless the area really picked up? Or you have kin living nearby*?

* or to see Then She Fell (hi Icky!)

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 09-04-2018 at 08:51 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #2549
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

Damn, man. They're fucking gone. And the ones in the Jewish delis have never been as good.

TM
I saw a documentary about Jewish delis in the city. In 1920 there were 1000. Artie’s closed a few years back. Other than Katz I wouldn’t know where to go.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #2550
Icky Thump

Quote:
I saw a documentary about Jewish delis in the city. In 1920 there were 1000. Artie’s closed a few years back. Other than Katz I wouldn’t know where to go.
Because other than Katz's there IS nowhere to go.