LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 392
0 members and 392 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #2821
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I thought Barrett was their pick.

Isn't this a case of them having to be all in for any conservative nominee? I find it hard to believe they preferred him to Barrett. She's fucking loony tunes.
They do love Barrett, but these people are not monogamous. (They've been screwing us all for years.)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #2822
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I suspect Feinstein was actually trying very hard to do the right thing here. I applaud her.

As to the names pulled together, it sounds like that is not the case. See the twitter thread I linked to above, especially the article quoted in it by one of the women who pulled the letter together and the tweet where Prof. Leong notes that an awful lot of the women are facebook friends of each other.
"Facebook. We Make Every Superficial and Misleading Act That Much Easier!"
Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #2823
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Certainly substantially higher than 50/50.

If I were on a board hiring a CEO, we'd likely apply a more onerous standard than one in ten. There is a large universe of capable people, and you don't play dice with your company.

As to reckless allegations, I'd wait to see if a problem emerges and we're suddenly short capable nominees. Since the question is what is best for the court and country, not what is best for the candidate, our standards should be very high.
Just a quick point on this. I hope if I ever need a letter where my peers vouch for me that I can count on you all. I want an anonymous social network backing me, not a bunch of obvious facebook contacts.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #2824
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Certainly substantially higher than 50/50.

If I were on a board hiring a CEO, we'd likely apply a more onerous standard than one in ten. There is a large universe of capable people, and you don't play dice with your company.

As to reckless allegations, I'd wait to see if a problem emerges and we're suddenly short capable nominees. Since the question is what is best for the court and country, not what is best for the candidate, our standards should be very high.
I think the CEO analogy works well.

My concern, and it's impossible to address, is how low do the allegations go? Are we going to see some redneck senator outing a future nominee for "being easy" in high school? "Senators, she gave my cousin Billy oral sex on the third date!" Some Sessions-like creep attacking a judge for smoking weed in college? The concern is never where the Democrats go with this stuff. It's where the Republicans, who will perfect the art of it, and nuclearize it, go with it.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #2825
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
I always worry when I agree with you, but if you give me the kind of staff and the kind of roladexes these people have, of course I'll get 65 people corralled on short notice to say just about anything. Or just give me a network of determined women. What I wouldn't be able to do, though is vet all 65 to be sure I was comfortable they were strong witnesses. Two politico reporters are going through and calling the names to see who stands by their letter now. Two yeses, two no comments, and a couple dozen not available so far. But see this thread for a good set of thoughts on this: https://twitter.com/nancyleong/statu...98079550787584
Good.

I don't think I'd be able to come up with 65 names of people who knew me in high school. Much less knew me well enough to say anything other than, "yeah, I remember her. Seemed nice enough."

I do keep thinking back on a girl who was nearly raped by a 17 year old dude who went to an elite high school, though. I picked her up after she got away, and I hugged her while she sobbed uncontrollably and tried to explain what happened. It was extremely traumatizing, and I will never forget the fear in her.

I'm sure he could come up with names to back him up though.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 09-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #2826
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
The court is not much more than a political instrument.
Most of the time, the court is not a political instrument, but most people don't care or know about that.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #2827
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
She's the new Anita Hill. And her skeletons, if any, are all coming out. Along with many completely fake stories about her.

It's normally dangerous to attack a victim. But these aren't normal times. I think the Senate GOP is going to go after her with a vengeance.
They have to be very careful about that, though, because suburban Republican women are already queasy about their "grab 'em by the pussy" leader. Attacking a victim in this ear isn't going to go as smoothly as it did against Professor Hill. And this woman (presumably) is a white woman. She's not going to be nearly as easy to vilify.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 09-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #2828
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Those names are easy to compile.

I don't mean that as a criticism of Feinstein. The timing indicates it's an "October surprise" type of release. The way I see it, all's fair after Merrick Garland.

And stop calling me a Republican.
(1) I was under the impression that they had the letter already signed when the allegations surfaced, which would be suspicious. I agree that it would pretty easy to round up those names quickly, and not suspicious at all if the letter came together after the allegations were public.

(2) Whether you mean it as a criticism of Feinstein or not, I think people -- and particularly Republicans -- are too inclined to see her actions as part of some master plan, rather than a reaction to being sent a letter from a constituent.

(3) I wasn't calling you a Republican. I was saying that (2) is true of you, just as it is true of many Republicans.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #2829
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
They have to be very careful about that, though, because suburban Republican women are already queasy about their "grab 'em by the pussy" leader. Attacking a victim in this ear isn't going to go as smoothly as it did against Professor Hill. And this woman (presumably) is a white woman. She's not going to be nearly as easy to vilify.
Oh, I totally agree. But I don't think this will stop them. We're in Crazytown now.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #2830
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
(1) I was under the impression that they had the letter already signed when the allegations surfaced, which would be suspicious. I agree that it would pretty easy to round up those names quickly, and not suspicious at all if the letter came together after the allegations were public.

(2) Whether you mean it as a criticism of Feinstein or not, I think people -- and particularly Republicans -- are too inclined to see her actions as part of some master plan, rather than a reaction to being sent a letter from a constituent.

(3) I wasn't calling you a Republican. I was saying that (2) is true of you, just as it is true of many Republicans.
1. If that's true, I agree with you.

2. The timing is quite excellent. I'm not convinced it's deliberate myself. But it does look like it.

3. I'm touchy about retaining my "fuck both sides" cred.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #2831
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Most of the time, the court is not a political instrument, but most people don't care or know about that.
On the big issues of the day, it's been nakedly political for many years. The last couple rulings on unions are 5-4. That's all politics.

But yes -- it does a lot of boring, non-political work that keeps the country running.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #2832
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

From what I have read, the letter came to the representative in early July. Feinstein got it sometime later in July. (Ford also reached out to the Post in early July, but wouldn't go on the record then for the very understandable fear of what's happening now. The Post couldn't just publish an anonymous letter without some more information/corroboration.) Feinstein sent it to the FBI. The FBI redacted and sent it to the White House. The White House sent it to the Judiciary Committee. Presumably someone there or the White House started looking into damage control should it ever come out. Lots of people have known about this for several weeks.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #2833
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
2. The timing is quite excellent. I'm not convinced it's deliberate myself. But it does look like it.
It's worth thinking, what if it's true that this woman had this experience years ago and didn't tell a lot of people, and then decided to tell her Congresswoman and Senator once Kavanaugh got appointed?

Quote:
Maybe echoing things Republicans are saying is a problem then. But it's your brand, and you have to be you. Follow your bliss.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #2834
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
It's gone, dude, if indeed you ever had it. You have "fuck sanity" and "fuck rationality" cred, though, so there is still that.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #2835
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
From what I have read, the letter came to the representative in early July. Feinstein got it sometime later in July. (Ford also reached out to the Post in early July, but wouldn't go on the record then for the very understandable fear of what's happening now. The Post couldn't just publish an anonymous letter without some more information/corroboration.) Feinstein sent it to the FBI. The FBI redacted and sent it to the White House. The White House sent it to the Judiciary Committee. Presumably someone there or the White House started looking into damage control should it ever come out. Lots of people have known about this for several weeks.
More on why it came out when it did.
Closed Thread