LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 263
0 members and 263 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #1681
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Okay, i thought he was tweeting. He was using a gov phone to text- how about the part where I asked if he wasn't an idiot?
Suspect there are an awful lot of inappropriate things being texted on work phones, and very few of them are subpoenaed or otherwise come to light later. When I had a government phone, I did not express political opinions on it -- I saved them for this board, to your delight (IIRC). But what's happened to that guy seems like such an unexpected turn of events that I wouldn't quite call him an idiot for failing to see it coming.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 07-12-2018 at 05:09 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #1682
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Suspect there are an awful lot of inappropriate things being texted on work phones, and very few of them are subpoenaed or otherwise come to light later. When I had a government phone, I did not express political opinions on it -- I saved them for this board, to your delight (IIRC). But what's happened to that guy seems like such an unexpected turn of events that I wouldn't quite call him an idiot for failing to see it coming.
Speaking of work emails, which is better to put on a closing of your work emails:

1. Someone should have told your mom paint chips aren't baby food.
2. You are the reason bleach has a hard-to-open cap.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #1683
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #1684
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
A Trumper FB "friend" posted an image of Trump sweeping out the trash- it includes Obama and Hillary and ISIS, and a man wearing glasses, holding a slice of pizza and the pizza seems to have the letters "PEDU" on it- who is the za eater?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #1685
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
A Trumper FB "friend" posted an image of Trump sweeping out the trash- it includes Obama and Hillary and ISIS, and a man wearing glasses, holding a slice of pizza and the pizza seems to have the letters "PEDU" on it- who is the za eater?
Is it a reference to the fictitious pedophile ring that was supposed to be operating out of the pizza place on Connecticut Ave. next to Politics & Prose?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #1686
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I worked for the US government once. There is a law against political comment, IIRC? Does this guy avoid it because it was on a private twitter account? Had he mentioned he was FBI on that account? It strikes me he is at least an idiot- albeit an idiot with a twitter account in our government may be something we are getting to think normal?
There is no law against political comment. There is a law against certain kinds of participation in political campaigns, but those were narrowed in the 90s - perhaps after you were in government?

My understanding is that there is a broader policy within the FBI, however, and so we're not talking about whether he violated the law but whether he violated an FBI policy.

That said, I haven't looked at anything longer than 280 characters on this.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #1687
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

I suspect you'll have to mine the deep recesses of the daily caller or 4chan to get that one. Maybe SEC knows?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #1688
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

If you could ask Sen. Collins’ chief of staff a question about the Kavanaugh nomination, what would you ask? Serious question, need suggestions quickly.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #1689
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
If you could ask Sen. Collins’ chief of staff a question about the Kavanaugh nomination, what would you ask? Serious question, need suggestions quickly.
I'd ask if she's comfortable with his vision of a strong executive with minimal deference to Congress, especially in areas like trade where we know her state's lobster industry is being hit hard with trade restrictions purportedly important for "national defense", and where potatoes may not be far behind.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #1690
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Can you set up a password protected subgroup only allowing those of us who have been law professors to discuss this issue? Who will be the mod?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #1691
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Can you set up a password protected subgroup only allowing those of us who have been law professors to discuss this issue? Who will be the mod?
Now wait a minute, some of us have taught at Harvard Med, I think that's a cut above being an adjunct professor at Cooley "Law" School.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #1692
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

I especially like the dig at Paul Ryan here: https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/...910224385?s=12
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 07-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #1693
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I'd ask whether the senator is concerned that Kavanaugh's stated views on investigation of the president were a factor in his selection and whether she has any concern that the president requested a quid pro quo in that regard.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #1694
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Trump has redefined conservatism. Trumpism is Conservatism. If there were a group of people who actually opposed some of trumps' policies or nominees who were Republicans I would worry about what to call them, but all I see are conservatives who support trump, some of whom whine a little while doing so.
You and Ty keep saying this. I don't think it's true. To the extent that traditional conservatism used to win the day in the Republican Party, they've always been the same--assholes who may believe in something, but who were willing to side with and empower the worst people in society at every turn in order to exert conservative influence. The only difference now is that the people who were their crucial allies and who they empowered are now actually, you know...in power.

There isn't some new brand of conservatism. They're the same as they've always been--willing to sell out any and every principle they hold if they get tax cuts. Hell, Trump actually worked out great for them because although they're losing out on free trade, they got their tax cuts and they get to control the Supreme Court. They're also getting smaller government and less regulation for no discernible reason other than having less regulation. There are just fewer of them and they're less influential.

Less influence, same assholes. And let me add, it makes no difference what you label them if they align with or embrace racist, sexist, xenophic, homophobic, anti-democratic policy in order to achieve what they want. They desperately try to insist that these things aren't part of their values, but deep down, they know they're absolutely part of the problem. They just don't care.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 07-13-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #1695
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I worked for the US government once. There is a law against political comment, IIRC? Does this guy avoid it because it was on a private twitter account? Had he mentioned he was FBI on that account? It strikes me he is at least an idiot- albeit an idiot with a twitter account in our government may be something we are getting to think normal?
Yo, what the fuck are you talking about?

TM
Closed Thread