LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 235
0 members and 235 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #1486
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Questlove v. Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Sorry, Thurgreed, but I am not going to be baited into a response by ferret's post. It would be a fruitless endeavour, and one that I will not engage in -- on this I will remain firm. Seriously, what response would be even worth the time it takes to type it? I mean, I would probably just say something like I am pretty sure that Questlove, were he to read ferret's post, would shake his head slowly in sadness, surprised that he still has the capacity to be surprised by the ignorance of so many about the music and culture that he has been a part of and advocated for and educated others about for so long. But even that is more of a response than I am willing to put forward. I will not even say that. Or anything.
85% of all non-naked lady posts in the last two weeks are now hip hop related.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #1488
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Sorry, Thurgreed, but I am not going to be baited into a response by ferret's post. It would be a fruitless endeavour, and one that I will not engage in -- on this I will remain firm. Seriously, what response would be even worth the time it takes to type it? I mean, I would probably just say something like I am pretty sure that Questlove, were he to read ferret's post, would shake his head slowly in sadness, surprised that he still has the capacity to be surprised by the ignorance of so many about the music and culture that he has been a part of and advocated for and educated others about for so long. But even that is more of a response than I am willing to put forward. I will not even say that. Or anything.
You are a rock.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #1489
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Thank you! Damn. That's all I'm gonna say.
Drake should weep after watching that.

And for those who don't know Mos Def, this is for you:

http://gothamist.com/2016/01/21/mos_def_best_of.php

TM
Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #1490
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Need more info. Places to eat and activities for fambly only? Adult time? Come on, man. This ain't Des Moines.

TM
More things for our whole family, though our kids are good are used to restaurants and we are more foodies than people who care about tablecloths and service. Not sure the adults will go out without kids much. My in-laws used to live in the area, so it's not like we have never been there, but this trip will be longer and we won't be following in-laws around.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #1491
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
plus, have the kids been there much before? first time needing to do the standard? Plus, for how ling?
All of them yes, but the basics are always good. One week.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #1492
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
All of them yes, but the basics are always good. One week.
UWS restaurants- Boulud Sud across from Lincoln Center and Telepan on 69th just west of Columbus are two favorites. I assume you are there soon? If not until spring there are outdoor Cafes along the Hudson that are not great food but beautiful settings. On the other hand, simply walking up Amsterdam from 72nd to about 90th you will pass a million restaurants, and might simply wait for inspiration. (Also, Tavern on the Green is reopened, in case you have any Catcher in the Rye fans?)

As to family activities, the Cloisters is pretty cool and the park around it amazing- hard to believe you are sill in the City. The High Line walk is good, even if too crowded. The aircraft carrier tour would probably be something they'd like. Also the Natural History and Metropolitan Museums are great. 9/11 memorial is something, the museum might be a bit much for the younger kid, but maybe not?

But simply walking through the park, or just walking a few miles down one of the avenues is pretty amazing. The changes along Broadway from the UWS to say Soho, or even further down gives you a pretty dynamic sense of the City.

EDIT- walk the Brooklyn bridge and have lunch in DUMBO, or take the water taxi from Bk Heights to Williamsburg.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 01-24-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #1493
Pretty Little Flower

What what?

This is a goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0oPus2qv0

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #1494
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Drake should weep after watching that.

And for those who don't know Mos Def, this is for you:

http://gothamist.com/2016/01/21/mos_def_best_of.php

TM
Mos Def was the best part about the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie.

Is what I would say if Alan Rickman weren't in it.

Best rappers: Chuck D and Johnny Cash.

Last edited by Did you just call me Coltrane?; 01-26-2016 at 09:34 AM..
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #1495
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
UWS restaurants- Boulud Sud across from Lincoln Center and Telepan on 69th just west of Columbus are two favorites. I assume you are there soon? If not until spring there are outdoor Cafes along the Hudson that are not great food but beautiful settings. On the other hand, simply walking up Amsterdam from 72nd to about 90th you will pass a million restaurants, and might simply wait for inspiration. (Also, Tavern on the Green is reopened, in case you have any Catcher in the Rye fans?)

As to family activities, the Cloisters is pretty cool and the park around it amazing- hard to believe you are sill in the City. The High Line walk is good, even if too crowded. The aircraft carrier tour would probably be something they'd like. Also the Natural History and Metropolitan Museums are great. 9/11 memorial is something, the museum might be a bit much for the younger kid, but maybe not?

But simply walking through the park, or just walking a few miles down one of the avenues is pretty amazing. The changes along Broadway from the UWS to say Soho, or even further down gives you a pretty dynamic sense of the City.

EDIT- walk the Brooklyn bridge and have lunch in DUMBO, or take the water taxi from Bk Heights to Williamsburg.
All good suggestions (except Tavern on the Green).

I will limit my response to food.

Best burger in the city: NoMad Bar (not the restaurant). It's a very nice place and there are tables and booths for families. Have the burger and the scotch olives. If you don't do this, never ask me for suggestions ever again.

Fantastic warm lobster rolls: Cull & Pistol in Chelsea Market. If you're going to make a day of the Highline, start at the uptown-most entrance and work your way down. If you get off at the 16th street exit, you'll be right outside Chelsea Market, which has all sorts of shit in there (although that place is too fucking crowded with the likes of people like yoos). There is a great taco stand and a good pasta restaurant and Cull & Pistol. Go to Cull & Pistol. Then you can go to the new MoMa after walking through the Meatpacking District.

Upscale: Craft. Expensive, but maybe the best meal I've had in a very long time. So damn good.

Ramen: Momofuku Noodle. There's a ramen shop everywhere now, but this place is still my favorite.

Cookies: Do yourself a favor, why don't you, and take your kids to Levain on 74th St. and order the chocolate peanut butter cookies. They are huge, but don't short yourself or you will be sorry.

Landmarc in the Time Warner Center has a nice view of Columbus Circle and a bit of Central Park and has pretty good food at not-TWC prices.

Chicken sandwiches: This is a thing all of a sudden. I like the ones at Fuku on 56th street. They're small and a bit spicy and delicious.

Meatballs: The Meatball Shop is fun, quick, and cheap. The kids will surely like it and there are multiple locations, so it's pretty convenient.

I would give you a suggestion for a place to eat on the Upper East Side, but that neighborhood sucks.

TM
Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #1496
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?

Quote:
All good suggestions (except Tavern on the Green).

I will limit my response to food.

Best burger in the city: NoMad Bar (not the restaurant). It's a very nice place and there are tables and booths for families. Have the burger and the scotch olives. If you don't do this, never ask me for suggestions ever again.

Fantastic warm lobster rolls: Cull & Pistol in Chelsea Market. If you're going to make a day of the Highline, start at the uptown-most entrance and work your way down. If you get off at the 16th street exit, you'll be right outside Chelsea Market, which has all sorts of shit in there (although that place is too fucking crowded with the likes of people like yoos). There is a great taco stand and a good pasta restaurant and Cull & Pistol. Go to Cull & Pistol. Then you can go to the new MoMa after walking through the Meatpacking District.

Upscale: Craft. Expensive, but maybe the best meal I've had in a very long time. So damn good.

Ramen: Momofuku Noodle. There's a ramen shop everywhere now, but this place is still my favorite.

Cookies: Do yourself a favor, why don't you, and take your kids to Levain on 74th St. and order the chocolate peanut butter cookies. They are huge, but don't short yourself or you will be sorry.

Landmarc in the Time Warner Center has a nice view of Columbus Circle and a bit of Central Park and has pretty good food at not-TWC prices.

Chicken sandwiches: This is a thing all of a sudden. I like the ones at Fuku on 56th street. They're small and a bit spicy and delicious.

Meatballs: The Meatball Shop is fun, quick, and cheap. The kids will surely like it and there are multiple locations, so it's pretty convenient.

I would give you a suggestion for a place to eat on the Upper East Side, but that neighborhood sucks.

TM
FYI, Levain will deliver in Manhattan. Having a giant box of Levain cookies waiting for me at the hotel when I arrived for the marathon was one of the highlights of my trip.

We only ate like 4 of them (there were 5 of us) while we were there for the marathon, and I took the rest of them home and froze them and we are working our way through them.

Yes. They are that good. Have them.

Also, eta, chestnuts smell awesome but taste awful.

Last edited by bold_n_brazen; 01-26-2016 at 12:19 PM..
bold_n_brazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #1497
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold_n_brazen View Post
FYI, Levain will deliver in Manhattan. Having a giant box of Levain cookies waiting for me at the hotel when I arrived for the marathon was one of the highlights of my trip.

We only ate like 4 of them (there were 5 of us) while we were there for the marathon, and I took the rest of them home and froze them and we are working our way through them.

Yes. They are that good. Have them.
I have to force myself to stay away from Levain whenever I am within a 20 block radius. I would be 300 pounds if I ate them when I wanted them.

Quote:
Also, eta, chestnuts smell awesome but taste awful.
The only memory I have of chestnuts (aside from walking past the carts and the smells every winter) is when I was a wee lad and had some on a visit before I moved here. I remember them as good, but chalky.

I've given a few people a taste of chinnuts over the years though.

TM
Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #1498
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?

Quote:
I have to force myself to stay away from Levain whenever I am within a 20 block radius. I would be 300 pounds if I ate them when I wanted them.

The only memory I have of chestnuts (aside from walking past the carts and the smells every winter) is when I was a wee lad and had some on a visit before I moved here. I remember them as good, but chalky.

I've given a few people a taste of chinnuts over the years though.

TM
In completely unrelated news, ABE VIGODA just died.

FINALLY.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #1500
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
In completely unrelated news, ABE VIGODA just died.

FINALLY.
unrelated? go look at II, the birthday scene at the end, the flashback? Tessio brings in the birthday casein a box, and the logo on the box is from Levain bakery.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 01-27-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote