LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 160
0 members and 160 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #841
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I love the way it tastes, and it works like anesthesia. Friends, clients, and family could yell straight in my face while I'm on my third gulp of a Sapphire martini (and they often do), and I couldn't be less attentive.
That's sad. I'm sorry.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #842
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post

Gin is Tanqueray and maybe Hendricks. I prefer Ten but that's cause I drink like a high school freshman now.
I will not drink Tanqueray, but maybe that dates from college when I didn't like gin. Perhaps I need to give it another shot. Ten, though? No.

Dude at the fancy store talked me into Letherbee when they were out of Hendricks. I can see someone finding it interesting, but it was not for me.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #843
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I've had Nolets. Thought it a bit sweet and fragrant. But tolerable.

If you want to get into some strange gin, yet more drinkable than stuff like Monkey 47, Barr Hill is interesting. It's made from honey. The nose is a bit off-putting, but it actually goes down nicely in a g&t. It does not, however, make a very good martini.

If you like super dry gin made with exceptionally pure ingredients, Martin Miller's is excellent. Super-crisp. The only problem I have with it, however, is it's so crisp, it suffers from the same affliction as Tito's Vodka: Purity outweighing flavor.

My favorite g&t gin of the moment is Gunpowder Gin. This stuff is fantastic. Floral, crisp, and little sweet. With Fever Tree, outstanding. Again, however, not the best martini.

I've traveled this land far and wide and keep coming back to two somewhat pedestrian choices: Sapphire and Hendrick's. Bombay Sapphire makes the best martini. Hendrick's an interesting second best. And both work nicely in a g&t.
Ah yes, a fine day to log on to the internets and find my favorite gonzo poster talking about the 'nose' of one of his favorite small-batch craft gins and describing another such gin as 'floral' and 'crisp.' How lovely. I just cannot wait to hear the back story of the distiller and to learn about the provenance of the juniper berries and other botanicals.

I was listening to some Vampire Weekend this morning. "Little John." Jesus, you should be ashamed.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #844
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
...Friends, clients, and family could yell straight in my face while I'm on my third gulp of a Sapphire martini (and they often do), and I couldn't be less attentive.
This is what America needs for Thanksgivings in the Trump era!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #845
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
That's sad. I'm sorry.
You don't have my clients and extended family.

"So Aunt Anne and Dad aren't speaking again? Right. Hold on... Let me grab this call. CLICK. No. You cannot tell OSHA to fuck off. I have to jump. I was on a call with um... CLICK. No. I'm not going to that dinner. ...Because I don't want to! I already have to be at another one, and I'd like to go for a run then. CLICK. So Mom's all pissed about what again? Hold on...

That sound?

That's a cocktail shaker. And the cat meowing loudly, getting ready to throwing up on the good rug. Again.

Get off Fortnite! You've been playing for four hours!

...Wait. Which neighbor's kid are you?"
Old 05-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #846
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Ah yes, a fine day to log on to the internets and find my favorite gonzo poster talking about the 'nose' of one of his favorite small-batch craft gins and describing another such gin as 'floral' and 'crisp.' How lovely. I just cannot wait to hear the back story of the distiller and to learn about the provenance of the juniper berries and other botanicals.

I was listening to some Vampire Weekend this morning. "Little John." Jesus, you should be ashamed.
Hank and Ferret's started it!

I'll have better work after Memorial Day, when key parties and mushrooms-and-molly festivals start again in earnest. The cul de sac pops like a motherfucker then.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #847
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
This is like reading what Republicans write about climate change. I see words, but they make no sense.
I'm thinking the message might get through as here it's been 87 and humid one day, 56 and freezing rain the next, then 70 with gale force winds for three days, then 90 for a couple days, followed by a nice week of 55-60 and overcast.

I can't wait for that run of three weeks of 100 and oppressively humidity followed by a month of London rain.

All a Chinese hoax. Those crafty Orientals!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #848
Not Bob

And the license said you had to stick around until I was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post

On the upside, Flower, it’s the 25 anniversary of “Exile in Guyville,” and Liz is putting out a boxed set, remastered, which includes songs from her Girly-Sound days. The kids at Pitchfork seem to like it.

Here’s the Girly-Sound version of the Divorce Song.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #849
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: And the license said you had to stick around until I was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
On the upside, Flower, it’s the 25 anniversary of “Exile in Guyville,” and Liz is putting out a boxed set, remastered, which includes songs from her Girly-Sound days. The kids at Pitchfork seem to like it.

She's touring in small venues in support of it. We had three people feverishly pounding their computers to get tickets and received bupkus. After market popped to around $160. We believe there was no realistic chance for the public to obtain any tickets.

And, I outconsume alla-yall when it comes to gin. Try any of the products made by St. George.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #850
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
That's sad. I'm sorry.
Sebby's at neighborhood cocktail parties where 1%er business men, Dems and Rs stand together wryly smiling as they listen to out of work steelworkers brag about how Obama, and now Trump, will be getting them jobs. once the blue collar guy moves on, the 1%ers tell each other how the other side is fucking the poor guy, but they don't get they both are fucking the poor.

Don't you see? you'd get blotto too.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #851
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Sebby's at neighborhood cocktail parties where 1%er business men, Dems and Rs stand together wryly smiling as they listen to out of work steelworkers brag about how Obama, and now Trump, will be getting them jobs. once the blue collar guy moves on, the 1%ers tell each other how the other side is fucking the poor guy, but they don't get they both are fucking the poor.

Don't you see? you'd get blotto too.
Like I said.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #852
Pretty Little Flower

Re: And the license said you had to stick around until I was dead.

Quote:

I know there is at least a chance that you directed this post to me expecting some angry and effete sneering diatribe during which I pointedly remind you that no band ever associated with Lilith Fair can ever be described as "Riot Grrls." But I always thought that album was solid. I think Pitchfork's 10 is ridiculous, but it was a remarkable debut.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #853
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: Laid back with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

Quote:
IT’S NEGRONI SEASON, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Ahem.

I agree with young Coltrane about gin - it ranges from good to excellent. I have never had a bad gin (for a G&T or a Tom Collins or Snoop’s gin and juice, that is). And I bartended at a place that used whatever swill in a plastic bottle was the cheapest at any given time as their well brand gin.

For martinis, I go with either Plymouth (my traditional go-to thanks to Travis McGee) or Hendricks.
Night and gin and music—the right setting for peeling off the thin clinging layers of bullshit and finding one's way down closer to the essential self.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #854
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I will not drink Tanqueray, but maybe that dates from college when I didn't like gin. Perhaps I need to give it another shot. Ten, though? No.

Dude at the fancy store talked me into Letherbee when they were out of Hendricks. I can see someone finding it interesting, but it was not for me.
I hate gin, but the wife likes it and seems to really like this stuff:

TM
Old 05-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #855
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I hate gin, but the wife likes it and seems to really like this stuff:

TM
700ml? I get hipster, but that's just plain obstinate.