LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 169
0 members and 169 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #286
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Trump "must end" and is causing a crisis! Bullshit. Trump's what you get when you let a mess fester for so long it becomes putrid.
I'm wondering why you think these two things don't currently exist at the same time.

TM
Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #287
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So has anyone read the NC opinion? Is this the death of Gerrymandering, or was NC bad on some other level?
My read is that there are folks on the court ready to laugh at some of the jokes they are presented with, but there is still a lot of deference to the political process and plenty of gerrymanders will still get blessed.

At the end of the day, the court is not overruling gerrymanders per se, but gerrymanders that are racially based. The thing that really sucks for a of Republicans, especially in the south, is that they seem to recognize that there are places where party has become a proxy for race.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #288
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I thought it was what you do. When a monkey throws its excrement through the bars of its cage, do we ask why?
You're wrong. The shiny headed lillipution is not a fan of the cotton candy-haired buffoon.

The fashionable contrarian position is that's an act. But I think that's bs. Can't ptove it, but it sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Those two are not aligned on anything.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #289
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Since that's not what he said, your response was a non-sequitur. The closest thing to a thesis statement in it is: "That’s why I have a hard time figuring out how this ends, even though it must end." He's making a positive argument, not the normative one you heard.
He's defining Trump as a unique crisis. This is viewing the vomit fit as a horrible surprise, while ignoring the three martinis and 3/4 bottle of rose that got you there.

But you understood that.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #290
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I'm wondering why you think these two things don't currently exist at the same time.

TM
They can and do. Trump's a cherry on the sundae. But let's face it... he's just a clown who conned a few million people. The much bigger and more ominous conversation Sullivan is ducking is what the fuck went so wrong that a guy like that got elected.

A sane, economically solid country does not elect Donald Trump to the Presidency.

And it's particularly important to remind people of the rot underneath which allowed Trump to win - cultural and economic - because a whole lot of apologists for that rot will be quick to pin blame exclusively on Trump after he's gone. You can hear it now... "Oh, everything was peachy, and there were no problems, and then along came Trump..." He's the perfect foil for the people who'd tell you, "What's the matter with the status quo? It's all great. Things can keep going like they are indefinitely!"

Uh, no. No, they cannot. And as proof that things are irredeemably fucked up, I offer this: We Elected Donald Trump President. Do I need a closing? Can I just drop the mic now?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #291
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
The much bigger and more ominous conversation Sullivan is ducking is what the fuck went so wrong that a guy like that got elected.
You. Have. To. Be. Fucking. Kidding..... At least yourself.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #292
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
They can and do. Trump's a cherry on the sundae. But let's face it... he's just a clown who conned a few million people. The much bigger and more ominous conversation Sullivan is ducking is what the fuck went so wrong that a guy like that got elected.

A sane, economically solid country does not elect Donald Trump to the Presidency.

And it's particularly important to remind people of the rot underneath which allowed Trump to win - cultural and economic - because a whole lot of apologists for that rot will be quick to pin blame exclusively on Trump after he's gone. You can hear it now... "Oh, everything was peachy, and there were no problems, and then along came Trump..." He's the perfect foil for the people who'd tell you, "What's the matter with the status quo? It's all great. Things can keep going like they are indefinitely!"

Uh, no. No, they cannot. And as proof that things are irredeemably fucked up, I offer this: We Elected Donald Trump President. Do I need a closing? Can I just drop the mic now?
You realize that every day there are about 300 new articles written trying to understand the conditions which allowed for a jackass like Trump to be elected, right?

TM
Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #293
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
You realize that every day there are about 300 new articles written trying to understand the conditions which allowed for a jackass like Trump to be elected, right?

TM
He doesn't need to read them. He knows it's because Trip who lives on the next cul-de-sac over feels ennui over being dissatisfied about his meager earnings as a CPA and not being able to get the credit card company to agree to raise his limit for the new ski doo he wanted to give the kids for this summer. If only Trip could instead be a real man like a coal miner, he wouldn't even have to be a racist.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #294
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
He doesn't need to read them. He knows it's because Trip who lives on the next cul-de-sac over feels ennui over being dissatisfied about his meager earnings as a CPA and not being able to get the credit card company to agree to raise his limit for the new ski doo he wanted to give the kids for this summer. If only Trip could instead be a real man like a coal miner, he wouldn't even have to be a racist.
Huh? Sebby et al elected Trump.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #295
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
So has anyone read the NC opinion? Is this the death of Gerrymandering, or was NC bad on some other level?
Amazing this got not one response, but Sebby got a dozen.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #296
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Amazing this got not one response, but Sebby got a dozen.
Ah, dude.

One response.

Similarly amazed.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #297
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
You're wrong. The shiny headed lillipution is not a fan of the cotton candy-haired buffoon.

The fashionable contrarian position is that's an act. But I think that's bs. Can't ptove it, but it sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Those two are not aligned on anything.
I'm sure Bezos is not fond of Trump, given how Trump has threatened his business. But imagining that motive does not get you to the rest.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #298
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
He's defining Trump as a unique crisis. This is viewing the vomit fit as a horrible surprise, while ignoring the three martinis and 3/4 bottle of rose that got you there.

But you understood that.
That's still not the point of what I posted, but whatever.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #299
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
My read is that there are folks on the court ready to laugh at some of the jokes they are presented with, but there is still a lot of deference to the political process and plenty of gerrymanders will still get blessed.

At the end of the day, the court is not overruling gerrymanders per se, but gerrymanders that are racially based. The thing that really sucks for a of Republicans, especially in the south, is that they seem to recognize that there are places where party has become a proxy for race.
missed this. Sorry. no offense.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #300
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Ah, dude.

One response.

Similarly amazed.
yes. Sorry. but certainly worthy of more discussion than Sebby wondering why trump won.