LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Technology

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 133
0 members and 133 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 AM   #31
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Push to Talk/Nextel

Quote:
Originally posted by baltassoc

Personally, I think this is annoying at best and dangerous at worst, but my cousin who owns a plumbing company swears by them. Each of his employees has one, and it keeps them in better touch with headquarters for scheduling.
Thanks. I agree it's not advantageous for my needs. I'm much happier being able to choose whether to take a call. But I can certainly understand the advantage it offers someone who might be hanging off of scaffolding or under a sink, or even driving a truck or bike, or whatever not to have to reach for a phone to take a call. And a company owner probably likes it even more, because it's particularly intrusive.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:29 PM   #32
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Cordless phone for home

The piece of shit Siemens cordless phone system I have at home is getting intolerable. I like having two or more cordless units to a single base unit, but there's an infernal clicking dropout that I think might be interference on its 2.4Ghz frequency arising from somebody's 802.11 wireless LAN in the neighborhood.

Would anyone care to recommend a good, top of the line cordless set? Please tell whether you've got a wireless LAN and, if so, any interference. Or can you recommend a website comparing the relative merits of cordless phones? Consumer Reports is kinda thin on the cool-gadget standpoint.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:40 PM   #33
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Cordless phone for home

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Grinch

Would anyone care to recommend a good, top of the line cordless set? Please tell whether you've got a wireless LAN and, if so, any interference. Or can you recommend a website comparing the relative merits of cordless phones? Consumer Reports is kinda thin on the cool-gadget standpoint.
I've been very happy with a couple of uniden 900mhz (spread spectrum) phones I bought, but those are older models no longer available. My uncle seems to be happy with the panasonic multi-handset units. I think those are available 900mhz too.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #34
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

More on Number Portability

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
Woo hoo! Goodbye Sprint, hello Verizon.
And, speaking of Verizon, they are setting up call centers to help people change to Verizon while keeping their old numbers:

Click
Old 08-04-2003, 06:17 PM   #35
Alex_de_Large
halfsharkalligatorhalfmod

Cordless phone for home

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
The piece of shit Siemens cordless phone system I have at home is getting intolerable. I like having two or more cordless units to a single base unit, but there's an infernal clicking dropout that I think might be interference on its 2.4Ghz frequency arising from somebody's 802.11 wireless LAN in the neighborhood.

Just about any 2.4 Ghz phone will get interference from 802.11 wireless LAN. I haven't heard of one that does not interfere: until I do, it's a 900 Mhz phone for me, which is fine. I hardly ever use a landline, anyway.

AdL
Old 08-09-2003, 02:44 PM   #36
rbb

Cordless phone for home

The Panasonic multisets are 2.4 and don't interfere with my wireless LAN at home. These are the ones where you can have up to 7 additional handsets. But you will have to buy separately the NiMH batteries from batteries.com because the NiCad ones that come with the phones are just horrid.

These phones are great because all you need is a power outlet to set up a spare handset; no additional phone jacks arenecessary besides the one going to the central base.

I think that perhaps these kinds of multi handset phones use some other technology that doesn't interfere with wireless, maybe spread spectrum. Because other panasonic 2.4 phones do interfere.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:48 PM   #37
Alex_de_Large

new toy

I just picked up a Siemens S56 the other day. I use Cingular's GSM network, which uses both 800 mHz and 1900 mHz bands used for GSM in the US, and allows roaming onto T-mobile and/or ATTWS GSM (both 1900 mHz) when there's no Cingular signal. Here's a list of features:

-High resolution, color graphical display
-Polyphonic sound
-Camera accessory with integrated flash
-Bluetooth Headset Push to Talk (PTT) accessory
-Handsfree speakerphone
-Voice Memo
-Internet access and browsing
-Extended personal information manager (organize calendar, address book, appointments, task list, and notes; synchs with MS Outlook and Lotus Notes)
-Wireless syncronization and communication (Bluetooth technology and IrDA)
Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) (color picture messaging and animation)
-Fast data transmission with GPRS
-Built-in data and fax modem
-Wireless Java Technology: download cool games and applications with GPRS
-Flexible memory managemen: store your favorite ring tones, games, logos, etc.
-E-mail client
-Intelligent typing (Tegic T9)

So far, I love it. It's as small as my Nokia 6590i but with many more features, notably the color screen, polyphonic ringtones and bluetooth. I'll post a better review after I have used it for a bit.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #38
Alex_de_Large

new toy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
From everything I've seen, that phone is the balls. I'd like to get one so i can use iS¥nc, as well.

Biggest worry: how's the GSM coverage?
Coverage is actually pretty good. In my area (Philadelphia) the GSM overlay (over the old TDMA network) is pretty thorough. I have traveled by car south into Virginia and north into NY state, and there are only a couple of spots w/o a GSM signal (I have a nationwide plan, so I can roam onto TMobile and/or ATTWS when there's no Cingular signal). Also, I think that Cingular, having a ton of 800 mHz A&B-side licenses, will eventually have the best GSM network in the US, bar none (800 mHz penetrates buildings better than 1900 mHz).

When I travel to non GSM areas, I pop my SIM in my 6340i, which gives me GSM 800/1900, TDMA 800/1900, and AMPS 800. That phone will work anywhere, though it's huge and nowhere near as cool as the S56.

The S56 is by far the best phone I've ever used though, having used Nokias for a while, the UI took a bit of getting used to (it's still far better than Mot). Batter life has been a bit worse than my Nokia 6590i, though I haven't gone through the full "priming" charging cycles yet. RF reception is better than my 6590i, which was the best GSM phone I had used, so it's pretty terrific. All in all, I am very happy.

My only dislikes:
-screen could use higher resolution (jpeg's and bmp's are a bit grainy)
-ringer selection could be better (no "normal" fingers, only some strange polyphonic songs that are not very loud; easily remedied with a couple of downloads, however)
-It could be even thinner, though I'm really nit-picking on this one.

As for syncing with iSync, I haven't tried it yet, as I don't have bluetooth on my Mac. My next accessory will be BT-related however: the Parrot ck3000 bluetooth handsfree kit. Here is a great install. Expansys.us has it for ~$150 . It apparently works exactly as advertised. If you drive a BMW, Circle BMW sells a kit that integrates Bluetooth directly into your factory system. No more stupid wires hanging around in the cabin...

EDIT: Cingular has posted an updated GSM map . Looking at this map, if coverage is what you want in a GSM carrier, Cingular is the best way to go (their GPRS data costs leave a bit to be desired).

Last edited by Alex_de_Large; 09-11-2003 at 11:37 AM..
Alex_de_Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #39
Alex_de_Large

Bluetooth headsets

Now that I have been playing with my S56 for a little while (see post above) I have decided to pick up a bluetooth headset. Does anyone have/use one? Any preferences?

thanks,
AdL
Old 09-16-2003, 08:28 PM   #40
SANDERS
No Rank For You!

I have been getting hard reading all the promos on the new Treo 600 (an all purpose, all in one, communicator) which has a September release date.
Supposedly, although packed with more features, it will be slimmer than the current Treo 300, which Mossberg in the Wall St. Journal rates the best "all in one."
The Treo 600 will have a built in camera and also be able to accept Java, which is important to me since I have AOL E-mail.

MY QUESTION: Does anyone have a Treo 300? If so, are you happy with it? I assume things will pretty much be the same and I would appreciate hearing about your experiences before I shell out for the upgrade model. Incidently, when the 300s initially came out....they went for $500. Now available for $100.....and current owners will get an option to upgrade to the 600 which I assume will cost around $600 to start.
SANDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:41 PM   #41
Alex_de_Large

treo 600

I haven't used any of the Treo line, but the quad-band GSM Treo 600 looks pretty bad ass. It's still bigger than anything that I would carry in my pocket, but it's getting closer.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #42
SANDERS
No Rank For You!

Treo 600 Smartphone

Yo everybody! I bought the Treo 600 Smartphone with Sprint as my carrier last week.

So far, very pleased with the phone features & reception. Really can do it all with one hand.....no need to use a stylus and your top 50 phone numbers can be placed on a separate "favorites" section so one not need scroll down on the presumably lengthy "contacts" section one has also presumably created by pasting. Speed dail/letter or number key also available to dail. Speakerphone handy when using phone in noisy pub/club.

Although a Qwery keyboard provided, obviously text/addresses/numbers etc. entry is easier by using computer keyboard and "HotSyncing" into phone.

Provided decent light available ( no flash on unit) the built in camera does an adequate job.....I use it extensively to take pictures of items for hobby collections and the jpeg color comes through fine. Picture quality sucks in low light.

I am not currently a big applications user on the phone. I prefer to paste/Hot Sync memos & lists into the phone so I don't have to look things up. But the list of Palm applications one can download is impressive and those with a need should find unit quite capable. I am not a gamer.

I log onto my AOL eMail on the unit....not the built in free Sprint system..... I usually just view any new messages rather than immediately responding....then respond from my computer.....though I imagine the Sprint system should be fine. Just want to minimize/avoid thumb typing.

I check my eBay bidding and surf various Web sites frequently....for $15 a month Sprint has unlimited data/web access. Basic phone plan is $35 per month......300 minutes/unlimited evenings/weekends satisfies my needs.....right now I'm probably web surfing more than using the phone.....except when traveling. Of course, more expensive plans are available.

Phone cost me $450 ( with a two year service plan) at Best Buy in Rockville. Cheaper on Amazon dot.com.....and, of course, as competitors come out I'm sure unit will cost $300 by June.
SANDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:08 AM   #43
Alex_de_Large

Treo 600 Smartphone

Quote:
Originally posted by SANDERS
Yo everybody! I bought the Treo 600 Smartphone with Sprint as my carrier last week.

So far, very pleased with the phone features & reception. Really can do it all with one hand.....no need to use a stylus and your top 50 phone numbers can be placed on a separate "favorites" section so one not need scroll down on the presumably lengthy "contacts" section one has also presumably created by pasting. Speed dail/letter or number key also available to dail. Speakerphone handy when using phone in noisy pub/club.

Although a Qwery keyboard provided, obviously text/addresses/numbers etc. entry is easier by using computer keyboard and "HotSyncing" into phone.

Provided decent light available ( no flash on unit) the built in camera does an adequate job.....I use it extensively to take pictures of items for hobby collections and the jpeg color comes through fine. Picture quality sucks in low light.

I am not currently a big applications user on the phone. I prefer to paste/Hot Sync memos & lists into the phone so I don't have to look things up. But the list of Palm applications one can download is impressive and those with a need should find unit quite capable. I am not a gamer.

I log onto my AOL eMail on the unit....not the built in free Sprint system..... I usually just view any new messages rather than immediately responding....then respond from my computer.....though I imagine the Sprint system should be fine. Just want to minimize/avoid thumb typing.

I check my eBay bidding and surf various Web sites frequently....for $15 a month Sprint has unlimited data/web access. Basic phone plan is $35 per month......300 minutes/unlimited evenings/weekends satisfies my needs.....right now I'm probably web surfing more than using the phone.....except when traveling. Of course, more expensive plans are available.

Phone cost me $450 ( with a two year service plan) at Best Buy in Rockville. Cheaper on Amazon dot.com.....and, of course, as competitors come out I'm sure unit will cost $300 by June.
I love the phone, but the size still bothers me. I generally carry my phone in my front pocket, and would not be able to do that with a Treo 600. When this type of functionality approaches the size of my Siemens S56, I'll snap it up. This treo is a huge step in the right direction, IMHO, but it's not quite there yet.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:22 PM   #44
mmm3587
Fast left eighty slippy

Number Portability

So, as we speak, I am porting my number from provider A to provider B after provider A's phone stopped working and provider B gave me a nice flip camera phone with caller id on the cover for free, with a one year contract and a $35 activation fee.

I will keep you updated on the process, since I'm sure you're all waiting by the computer to see how it goes. Provider B is already sending me e-mail tellin me about my new phone number (which is the number being ported) but calls still ring through to provider A's phone.
mmm3587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #45
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Number Portability

Quote:
Originally posted by mmm3587
Provider B is already sending me e-mail tellin me about my new phone number (which is the number being ported) but calls still ring through to provider A's phone.
Be glad it rings somewhere.