LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Vacations

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 474
0 members and 474 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #1
On n'a qu'une vie

Gotta get out of this place

I'll start. I'm heading up to Camden, Maine next month. Should be interesting, but cold. At least I'll get to see two Springs this year.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Re: Gotta get out of this place

Quote:
Originally posted by On n'a qu'une vie
I'll start. I'm heading up to Camden, Maine next month. Should be interesting, but cold. At least I'll get to see two Springs this year.
Are you expecting to be there until June, when Spring arrives?

Have fun; too bad you'll be working (I assume), so you can't take advantage of (much of) what maine has to offer
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

miami

I'll be going on a girlfriends-only trip to South Beach soon. I haven't been in a couple of years. Where should we go to watch the Miami scene and laugh at rEcockulous people? Where should we go to catch some normalcy? Of course, until we get there we won't know which sort of evening activities will appeal to us...

Any other suggestions?

n(after the week I've had I wish that trip was right now!)cs
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Re: miami

Quote:
Originally posted by notcasesensitive
I'll be going on a girlfriends-only trip to South Beach soon. I haven't been in a couple of years. Where should we go to watch the Miami scene and laugh at rEcockulous people? Where should we go to catch some normalcy? Of course, until we get there we won't know which sort of evening activities will appeal to us...

Any other suggestions?

n(after the week I've had I wish that trip was right now!)cs
I wasn't allowed to edit my post (probably a start-up glitch), so I will add in this post, for clarification, that NO we will not be there during "spring break" season, thank god.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
On n'a qu'une vie

Actually (I will say this here in the hopes it does not leak back too much on the DC board) I'll be working outside and on the water during the day, while working in my virtual office at night. So, I won't get to see all of what Maine has to offer but at least I'll see one major part of it.

(they tell me lobsters don't bite "too" hard.):cry:
Old 03-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:

(they tell me lobsters don't bite "too" hard.):cry:
Even if they do, you get to bite back a lot harder . . . :drool:

Mmmmm . . . . lobstah
Old 04-14-2003, 04:22 PM   #7
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Gotta get out of this place

Quote:
Two springs, that's optimistic. More like a sping and a mud season. have a cold one at the Brewery for me.

Last edited by Anne Elk; 04-14-2003 at 04:37 PM..
Anne Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:26 AM   #8
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Beautiful Camden, Maine

As described in the Washington Post
Old 06-05-2003, 11:25 AM   #9
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Hawaii

How dead is this board? What, no one takes vacations anymore?

Anyhoo, I'm headed to Oahu later this year and I want general and/or specific recommendations. PM responses are also welcome. Alas there has been no printing of Oahu Revealed yet... So far I know -- will be staying at Mandarin Oriental (near Waikiki), want to see Pearl Harbor stuff, want to experience any Honolulu attractions, including nightlife, if any.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Gracias.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:41 AM   #10
On n'a qu'une vie

Beautiful Camden, Maine

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
As described in the Washington Post
It was quite a bit like the Post reports. Unfortunately the Post author did not update her research to report that the SeaDog Brewery went bankrupt in March. Ah well, once we came in with the Green boats, Gilbert's turned lively. Plus seeing Eileen Ivers in a jam at the Opera house was pretty cool.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:12 PM   #11
TexLex

Hawaii

Quote:
Originally posted by notcasesensitive
What, no one takes vacations anymore?
No. I live vicariously through others who get to take vacations, so please post your itinerary and some photos when you get back so I can play pretend.

-T(screw the vacation, I really just need a nap right now)L
Old 06-09-2003, 02:49 PM   #12
robustpuppy

Couple days here, couple days there

As part of a longer trip, my SO and I are spending two nights in each of London and Paris this summer. He's never seen London, I've never seen Paris. As for Paris, the only thing on my must-do list is to sit at sidewalk cafes & people watch. I could live without seeing the Louvre if the tourists are going to be out of control. Any recommendations for not-to-miss and easy-to-get-to sites/experiences in either city?
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:50 PM   #13
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Beautiful Camden, Maine

Quote:
ItUnfortunately the Post author did not update her research to report that the SeaDog Brewery went bankrupt in March.
Sniff, sniff. Must go home tonight, pour a cold one in my Sea Dog pint glass, and drink to the memory of an excellent brew pub. Thank goodness Gritty's is still in Portland. Well, maybe I'll have to check on it personally this weekend.:beer: Black Fly Stout, yum!
Old 06-09-2003, 07:29 PM   #14
On n'a qu'une vie

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
As for Paris, the only thing on my must-do list is to sit at sidewalk cafes & people watch. . . . .. Any recommendations for not-to-miss and easy-to-get-to sites/experiences in either city?
I discovered the Promenade Plantee on my last trip. Its a raised walkway behing Gare de Lyon. Basically a jardin in the air. A very fine place to sit and stroll in the flowers. Entre libre. Make sure you check out the Art deco flying buttresses along the station roof as well.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:06 PM   #15
evenodds
prodigal poster

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
As part of a longer trip, my SO and I are spending two nights in each of London and Paris this summer. He's never seen London, I've never seen Paris. As for Paris, the only thing on my must-do list is to sit at sidewalk cafes & people watch. I could live without seeing the Louvre if the tourists are going to be out of control. Any recommendations for not-to-miss and easy-to-get-to sites/experiences in either city?
When we went to Paris and London for a couple of weeks in 2000, we bought excellent tour books (Rick Steves, who updates each year). He talks about the best things to do in each city and has great tips for getting around easily. (For example, we bought Louvre tickets at a special place so we never waited in line for anything.)

I would definitely recommend doing all the touristy things. Also, try the ferris wheel at the place de la concorde, so you can see all of Paris.
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote