LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 389
0 members and 389 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #3481
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Is Hank Playing for the Other Team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Sounds uncool, but the article I quoted seems to conflict with that, no? I don't know much about the News and the Free Press. Is one likelier to get this right?
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #3482
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Are your Supreme Court races actually contested? Ours rarely are. Justices retire midterm, the governor appoints a temporary replacement, who,is almost always re-elected, often without a real opponents.
I just voted. 2 seats are up. Probably 6 candidates. 1 incumbent.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #3483
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Sounds uncool, but the article I quoted seems to conflict with that, no? I don't know much about the News and the Free Press. Is one likelier to get this right?
https://courts.michigan.gov/Courts/M...estions-OP.pdf Time was the Free Press was dem and the News R, but the decision outcome is not something they'd screw up.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #3484
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
https://courts.michigan.gov/Courts/M...estions-OP.pdf Time was the Free Press was dem and the News R, but the decision outcome is not something they'd screw up.
Well, News said it was a 7-0 decision and Free Press said it was two 4-3 decisions, so either they are talking about different things or someone is wrong, is the way I see it. YMMV.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #3485
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Well, News said it was a 7-0 decision and Free Press said it was two 4-3 decisions, so either they are talking about different things or someone is wrong, is the way I see it. YMMV.
dude, she used two statutes.

A 1976 statute was abused, as it required legislative authorization to extend after 25 days. I think she kept "restarting" as if new rather than seeking authorization. That was knocked down 7-0, not the statute, but her actions under it.

The 1945 statute was found unconstitutional 4-3.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #3486
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
dude, she used two statutes.
Yes, that was my point. But you quoted a News article saying, "The governor ignored this statutory requirement, refused to work with the Legislature and plowed ahead anyway, continuing to unilaterally declare emergencies under the 1976 law." As if the other statute didn't exist.

Whatever, friend. On a day when the Republican politicization of the courts in is full swing and on public display, I don't particularly feel like ignoring that the Republicans have been packing and politicizing state and federal courts. YMMV. Is it hard to tell when a Republican court is acting on totally legit merits, and when it is acting politically? Yes, absolutely -- that is the point.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #3487
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Yes, that was my point. But you quoted a News article saying, "The governor ignored this statutory requirement, refused to work with the Legislature and plowed ahead anyway, continuing to unilaterally declare emergencies under the 1976 law." As if the other statute didn't exist.

Whatever, friend. On a day when the Republican politicization of the courts in is full swing and on public display, I don't particularly feel like ignoring that the Republicans have been packing and politicizing state and federal courts. YMMV. Is it hard to tell when a Republican court is acting on totally legit merits, and when it is acting politically? Yes, absolutely -- that is the point.
The News piece was an opinion piece, and slanted. Right after the part I quoted it discusses the 1945 act. We agree, that was 4-3, but as to the 1976 law she did lose 7-0, so that part of the decision could hardly be slanted.

And for a governor elected by all of the people of the state to try to question the integrity of Supreme Court Justices, elected by all of the people, is silly. For one, even the "dem" Judges said she was acting improperly (under 1976), every single Judge. But, as important, a Michigan statewide elected R cannot be the loon that these fucks are in DC. We have had R govs recently. They are quite moderate. We've had an R Senator (a bit ago, but still). Moderate.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 10-12-2020 at 07:13 PM..
Old 10-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #3488
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
The News piece was an opinion piece, and slanted. Right after the part I quoted it discusses the 1945 act. We agree, that was 4-3, but as to the 1976 law she did lose 7-0, so that part of the decision could hardly be slanted.
True. But the Free Press article said she was claiming authority for her orders under the 1945 act, and that the court decided 4-3 that she did not have such power. So even if you assume that the 1976 law did not support her at all, it sounds like she had a decent case under the 1945 act for everything she was doing, in that the court would have upheld everything she was doing, on both constitutional and statutory grounds, if one judge had seen it differently. Thems the breaks.

Quote:
And for a governor elected by all of the people of the state to try to question the integrity of Supreme Court Justices, elected by all of the people, is silly. For one, even the "dem" Judges said she was acting improperly (under 1976), every single Judge. But, as important, a Michigan statewide elected R cannot be the loon that these fucks are in DC. We have had R govs recently. They are quite moderate. We've had an R Senator (a bit ago, but still). Moderate.
Maybe you are lucky in Michigan, but the GOP has its share of wingnuts in state offices.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #3489
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

Maybe you are lucky in Michigan, but the GOP has its share of wingnuts in state offices.
California has state wide elected R?
Old 10-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #3490
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
California has state wide elected R?
No. With the new primary system (top two voter-getters go to the general) they often have a hard time getting a candidate on the ballot in November.

As the party has lost, the wing nuttiest have remained, and the CA GOP's center of gravity has moved even farther to the fringe. They could use reasonable moderates, but those people don't have much of a path to success.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #3491
Hank Chinaski

Re: Objectively intelligent.

https://www.law360.com/ip/articles/1...mpaign=section We got a case headed to the Supreme Court.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #3492
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Objectively intelligent.

After all of the efforts the GOP has made for years to pack a nine-member Supreme Court, it's kinda funny to think that the size of the Court can be changed by legislation.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #3493
Icky Thump

Yah as shitty an idea as Ikea fucking furniture

https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #3494
Hank Chinaski

Re: Yah as shitty an idea as Ikea fucking furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
1 We are ahead of them. Like it or not, we are going for herd immunity, if there is such a thing.

2 Dunno what the other countries hope for, but they can't wall off their borders for long. What do you think Europe's tourism industry is looking like with no Americans? How long can that go on?

3 And what is the alternative? There is not going to be a vaccine anytime soon. My state was on pretty strict lock down. It flattened the curve, delayed shit, but shit is hitting now. In fact most of the country is seeing way higher rates than they were a few weeks ago www.covidactnow.org

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 10-18-2020 at 06:23 PM..
Old 10-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #3495
Icky Thump

Re: Yah as shitty an idea as Ikea fucking furniture

Quote:
1 We are ahead of them. Like it or not, we are going for herd immunity, if there is such a thing.
Do the 4th grade math sunshine. At the current mortality rate of infected people, 2.77% if we need to get to 60% of the pop for her immunity, we are looking at 5 million dead.

Quote:
2 Dunno what the other countries hope for, but they can't wall off their borders for long. What do you think Europe's tourism industry is looking like with no Americans? How long can that go on?
Safety over money, honey.
Quote:

3 And what is the alternative? There is not going to be a vaccine anytime soon. My state was on pretty strict lock down. It flattened the curve, delayed shit, but shit is hitting now. In fact most of the country is seeing way higher rates than they were a few weeks ago www.covidactnow.org
That's because you can't just reopen to get your hair did.

If you reopen, try herd immunity, a lot of people will die, you'll shutter and have to enter aother lockdown anyway. https://www.businessinsider.com/swed...rce=reddit.com

Last edited by Icky Thump; 10-18-2020 at 07:10 PM..
Closed Thread