LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 121
0 members and 121 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #211
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
That's not the issue. The issue is, every country, no matter the size, receives the same (i) number of votes and (i) share of profits from FIFA. If Montserrat has the same authority and receives the same funds as the US, they are going to vote for the guy who keeps it that way. John Oliver did a good job with this the second time he went after FIFA (this past Sunday).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q (at the 9:20 mark)

TM
Yeah, and for better or worse, he did expand FIFA considerably in his tenure. Before he got to the head of FIFA, there had only been one African team to go to the World Cup. By the end, the tournament was hosted in Africa. He really, really wanted to win a Nobel Peace Prize, and expansion of FIFA world wide was how he thought he could do it.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #212
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
That's not the issue. The issue is, every country, no matter the size, receives the same (i) number of votes and (i) share of profits from FIFA. If Montserrat has the same authority and receives the same funds as the US, they are going to vote for the guy who keeps it that way. John Oliver did a good job with this the second time he went after FIFA (this past Sunday).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q (at the 9:20 mark)

TM

Both that problem and the one I identified stem from one country-one vote. That vote provides two forms of value - one is to keep support for the generous flow of legitimate funds from FIFA; the other is in exchange for bribery funds. You and I disagree as to which provides the primary motivation for the support of the current (or now most recent) FIFA regime from the FIFA representatives of smaller, less wealthy nations.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #213
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Yeah, and for better or worse, he did expand FIFA considerably in his tenure. Before he got to the head of FIFA, there had only been one African team to go to the World Cup. By the end, the tournament was hosted in Africa. He really, really wanted to win a Nobel Peace Prize, and expansion of FIFA world wide was how he thought he could do it.
I think we can all agree that the English reporter who exposed Blatter is awesome:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...=hp_mm&hpid=z3

“I know that they are criminal scum, and I’ve known it for years,” he said. “And that is a thoughtful summation. That is not an insult. That is not throwing about wild words.”

“These scum have stolen the people’s sport. They’ve stolen it, the cynical thieving bastards,” he said. “So, yes, it’s nice to see the fear on their faces.”

“I’m surrounded by all these terribly posh reporters in suits and silk ties and buttoned up shirts, for God’s sake,” he remembered. “And here’s me in me hiking gear. I get the mike and I said, ‘Herr Blatter, have you ever taken a bribe?' Talk about crashing the party,” Jennings recalled Tuesday. “Reporters are moving away from me as if I’ve just let out the biggest smell since bad food. Well, that’s what I wanted. Thank you, idiot reporters. The radar dish on top of my head is spinning around to all these blazers against the wall, saying, ‘Here I am. I’m your boy. I’m not impressed by these tossers. I know what they are. I’ve done it to the IOC, and I’ll do it to them.'”
Old 06-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #214
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I think we can all agree that the English reporter who exposed Blatter is awesome:

“I know that they are criminal scum, and I’ve known it for years,” he said. “And that is a thoughtful summation. That is not an insult. That is not throwing about wild words.”

“These scum have stolen the people’s sport. They’ve stolen it, the cynical thieving bastards,” he said. “So, yes, it’s nice to see the fear on their faces.”

“I’m surrounded by all these terribly posh reporters in suits and silk ties and buttoned up shirts, for God’s sake,” he remembered. “And here’s me in me hiking gear. I get the mike and I said, ‘Herr Blatter, have you ever taken a bribe?' Talk about crashing the party,” Jennings recalled Tuesday. “Reporters are moving away from me as if I’ve just let out the biggest smell since bad food. Well, that’s what I wanted. Thank you, idiot reporters. The radar dish on top of my head is spinning around to all these blazers against the wall, saying, ‘Here I am. I’m your boy. I’m not impressed by these tossers. I know what they are. I’ve done it to the IOC, and I’ll do it to them.'”

I'm willing to pitch in to the kickstarter to get him to the arraignment.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #216
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Both that problem and the one I identified stem from one country-one vote. That vote provides two forms of value - one is to keep support for the generous flow of legitimate funds from FIFA; the other is in exchange for bribery funds. You and I disagree as to which provides the primary motivation for the support of the current (or now most recent) FIFA regime from the FIFA representatives of smaller, less wealthy nations.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #217
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:

TM
Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #218
Did you just call me Coltrane?

I'm going to be just north of Mystic, Connecticut this weekend for a family wedding. Anyone know of any ideas on things to do with kids (7 and 5) in the area? I was thinking about taking them down to the Mystic Seaport but don't have anything beyond that.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #219
Icky Thump

Quote:
I'm going to be just north of Mystic, Connecticut this weekend for a family wedding. Anyone know of any ideas on things to do with kids (7 and 5) in the area? I was thinking about taking them down to the Mystic Seaport but don't have anything beyond that.
There's a great aquarium there. Or you could just lock 'em in the car and go gamble at Mohegan Sun.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #220
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
There's a great aquarium there. Or you could just lock 'em in the car and go gamble at Mohegan Sun.
Is Boston far? Plymouth? Pretty soon ggg will weight in with what you certainly don't want to do. Remember that, dnltggg
Old 06-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #221
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
If you can't make it through a few hours in Mystic Seaport aquarium and the museum with your kids then you need to reevaluate your life.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #222
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
If you can't make it through a few hours in Mystic Seaport aquarium and the museum with your kids then you need to reevaluate your life.
This is an amusingly, unintentionally harsh response. I like it.

TM
Old 06-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #223
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Providence has a good zoo.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #225
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Providence has a good zoo.
I haven't lived in the Northeast in, like, a million years, but I'd suggest Narragansett beach in RI if you head that way (instead of heading up to Providence). There might be good beaches in CT too, I don't know, but the RI beaches are pretty nice (or they were when I was in high school and college)... Take advantage of being on the coast, flyover boy!

Ps. High school me also appreciated Mystic Seaport/Aquarium.