LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 207
0 members and 207 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #151
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Hey, that's awesome. Hope your new gig inspires you to more productive and creative levels of posting here.
Agreed. I'm not much for beaches, but to each their own when it comes to travel. I too will be quitting again in March. I'm bored again, and the insurance company at which I am in-house has become an increasingly unpleasant workplace.

LessinVancouver
Old 02-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #152
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
Very few are smart enough to walk away when they “ring the bell.”

After much deliberation, I have determined that I am in a position that my financial future, and that of my family unto my grandchildren's generation, is secure. Having worked at the same outfit for 44 years, I have decided not to make a career of it. The signature cases I have on my docket are in the "pig has moved through most of the python" stage. My successor is more than ready, she has been ready for a decade. Time to step down before the Board taps me on the shoulder, pins a note to my sweater, and leaves me at a dog track. It is time. I'm going out on a very good note.

At age 72 and a low fraction, I will ring the bell on March 29, thus making April Fools Day my first day of retirement. Bueller LLC will open for business the next day.

Mostly, I'll be found at beaches between North Carolina, Bermuda, Aruba, Costa Rica, and, when the narco problem clears up again, Barra Beach in Rio. Buy futures in SPF 90 sunscreen. I'll be using it by the quart as I fish for breakfast at sunrise, reapplying until the cocktail hour at sunset.

I also expect to be busy enough, but not too busy. I will be working for the World Bank and the Financial Services Volunteer Corps once or twice a year to see a few of the more remote emerging economies I have yet to visit. Get ticket, review facts on the ground, write report, repeat.

I wish all of you the same level of happiness in your careers that I've been fortunate enough to have. Peace.
Congratulations. I wish you the most indulgent and lengthiest of retirements. May you never spend another minute doing anything but what you feel like doing.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #153
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Northam, Warren, Fairfax...

Quote:
What I'm about to say is only a little about Franken and Gillibrand. There are a lot of people who are not interested in waiting for the results of formal investigations in situations like this one, and on some level I think that results from the intuition that formal processes like investigations can't be trusted to get at the truth of what happened, that there are too many false negatives. It's obviously problematic, because calling on people to resign without an investigation sounds unfair.
I agree. But some of the allegations were fairly thin and just got lumped in with the initial one because that's what happens. And the initial allegation only gained traction because there was a photo.

I'm not saying Franken wasn't in the wrong. I'm not saying that the allegations weren't true. But it can't just be that someone gets accused and they're over. There has to be some thought put behind how severe the punishment should be in relation to what he did. And he should absolutely have the right to be heard before judgment by a formal body* is passed.

TM

*And this includes getting the whole crew together and forcing you to resign.

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 02-11-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #154
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I agree. But some of the allegations were fairly thin and just got lumped in with the initial one because that's what happens. And the initial allegation only gained traction because there was a photo.

I'm not saying Franken wasn't in the wrong. I'm not saying that the allegations weren't true. But it can't just be that someone gets accused and they're over. There has to be some thought put behind how severe the punishment should be in relation to what he did. And he should absolutely have the right to be heard before judgment by a formal body* is passed.

TM

Sure, but if formal proceedings can't be trusted to get to the truth, people will continue to call for punishment without waiting for the results of formal proceedings. People like Sebby who are offended by the unfairness of that should think about how to make the formal proceedings work better to identify and punish bad actors.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #155
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Sure, but if formal proceedings can't be trusted to get to the truth, people will continue to call for punishment without waiting for the results of formal proceedings. People like Sebby who are offended by the unfairness of that should think about how to make the formal proceedings work better to identify and punish bad actors.
What formal proceedings would have come from Frakken's alleged acts? Has the senate ever looked at past bad acts?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #156
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
What formal proceedings would have come from Frakken's alleged acts? Has the senate ever looked at past bad acts?
My point wasn't really about Franken specifically, and I don't know the answer to your question.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #157
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
This isn't untrue. But I expect something better from a sitting Senator. And Gillibrand absolutely tried to own the Franken issue and her responses to questions on the issue were fucking bullshit.

On being the first Democratic member of Congress to call for Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, to resign amid sexual harassment allegations:

"I have a 14-year-old son. And I cannot have a conversation that says, 'Well, it's OK to grab somebody here, but not there.' It's not OK at all."

She added, "He's entitled to as much due process as he wants. He doesn't ever have to resign. That's his choice. … And my choice is to speak out."
That's not a fucking response. If someone is accused of grabbing someone and they are trying to tell you they didn't do it, responding, "I can't tell my son it's ok to grab someone here, but not there," is intentionally disingenuous. And using all of your efforts to short-circuit his ability to have a fair investigation and then acting like it's his choice to resign is insulting. That whole thing pissed me off.

And some things can't be made better. An allegation against someone who brushed his hand against a backside 10 years ago cannot be proven. The question is whether we can actually talk to each of the parties and make a determination about whether it happened, and if it did, what an appropriate punishment would be. But banishment can't be the answer to absolutely everything, soup to...er...nuts.

TM
Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #158
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Yesterday I attended a deposition in which the almost 70 year PI attorney was questioning a party witness. Not a main target. He personally claims to have recovered over $1B in his career for clients, and his firm claims to have recovered over $4B.

Why the hell is this guy still working? Why isn't someone else taking this secondary deposition? Why can't this guy provide, at the very least, a small snack like pretzels in his conference room? These kind of people drive me crazy. My brain doesn't understand it.
Smart guy, does Tom Brady delegate some of the passes in the superbowl? I didn't think so.

We don't provide snacks. I actually turn off the water and remove all of the toilet paper from the bathrooms.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #159
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
How thinks they can blackmail Jeff Bezos? Or that pics of his dick are going to matter at all to Amazon or his massive fortune?

Still, takes some guts to call their bluff.
Shit I would make Bezos's dick pic my phone background to keep getting stuff delivered for free.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #160
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
Very few are smart enough to walk away when they “ring the bell.”

After much deliberation, I have determined that I am in a position that my financial future, and that of my family unto my grandchildren's generation, is secure. Having worked at the same outfit for 44 years, I have decided not to make a career of it. The signature cases I have on my docket are in the "pig has moved through most of the python" stage. My successor is more than ready, she has been ready for a decade. Time to step down before the Board taps me on the shoulder, pins a note to my sweater, and leaves me at a dog track. It is time. I'm going out on a very good note.

At age 72 and a low fraction, I will ring the bell on March 29, thus making April Fools Day my first day of retirement. Bueller LLC will open for business the next day.

Mostly, I'll be found at beaches between North Carolina, Bermuda, Aruba, Costa Rica, and, when the narco problem clears up again, Barra Beach in Rio. Buy futures in SPF 90 sunscreen. I'll be using it by the quart as I fish for breakfast at sunrise, reapplying until the cocktail hour at sunset.

I also expect to be busy enough, but not too busy. I will be working for the World Bank and the Financial Services Volunteer Corps once or twice a year to see a few of the more remote emerging economies I have yet to visit. Get ticket, review facts on the ground, write report, repeat.

I wish all of you the same level of happiness in your careers that I've been fortunate enough to have. Peace.
Peace!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #161
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Agreed. I'm not much for beaches, but to each their own when it comes to travel. I too will be quitting again in March. I'm bored again, and the insurance company at which I am in-house has become an increasingly unpleasant workplace.

LessinVancouver
Double peace!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #162
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Smart guy, does Tom Brady delegate some of the passes in the superbowl? I didn't think so.

We don't provide snacks. I actually turn off the water and remove all of the toilet paper from the bathrooms.
QED

But I’ve studied the posts of the master so I knew this.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #163
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

TM

Yeah, as his constituent, I don’t really think he was “forced” to resign. I think he knew the right thing to do and he did it, and I think it was coming before any of the senators said anything publicly.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #164
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
This isn't untrue. But I expect something better from a sitting Senator. And Gillibrand absolutely tried to own the Franken issue and her responses to questions on the issue were fucking bullshit.

On being the first Democratic member of Congress to call for Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, to resign amid sexual harassment allegations:

"I have a 14-year-old son. And I cannot have a conversation that says, 'Well, it's OK to grab somebody here, but not there.' It's not OK at all."

She added, "He's entitled to as much due process as he wants. He doesn't ever have to resign. That's his choice. … And my choice is to speak out."
That's not a fucking response. If someone is accused of grabbing someone and they are trying to tell you they didn't do it, responding, "I can't tell my son it's ok to grab someone here, but not there," is intentionally disingenuous. And using all of your efforts to short-circuit his ability to have a fair investigation and then acting like it's his choice to resign is insulting. That whole thing pissed me off.

And some things can't be made better. An allegation against someone who brushed his hand against a backside 10 years ago cannot be proven. The question is whether we can actually talk to each of the parties and make a determination about whether it happened, and if it did, what an appropriate punishment would be. But banishment can't be the answer to absolutely everything, soup to...er...nuts.

TM
I never really got the sense he was trying to tell us that he didn’t do it.

Yeah, he never outright admitted any of it, but he didn’t exactly deny either.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #165
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Yeah, as his constituent, I don’t really think he was “forced” to resign. I think he knew the right thing to do and he did it, and I think it was coming before any of the senators said anything publicly.
Ah. "As his constituent,"* which I assume means you have a special, close, personal relationship with him that non-constituents could never share.

I assume he asked for an investigation multiple times and insisted that a number of the allegations against him were demonstrably false because he just wanted to save face before resigning.

TM

*This is almost as good as "As an attorney..." followed by whatever bullshit you want others to think is somehow automatically legitimate.

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 02-12-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Closed Thread