LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 110
0 members and 110 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #451
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The homeowner's association
We have this. It's the coop or condo board and it's made up of the same type of asshole.

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #452
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I don't know about Boston/Suburbs, but you can't get from one Philly suburb to another in a half hour. The entire suburban area is fucked with traffic. And I have no idea how one gets to NYC's suburbs. I stay in the city when I have meetings in Hartford. I don't try to drive. I have someone drive me. We are going against traffic and it is super fucked up. No way would i make that commute.
Only assholes commute by car into NYC. I'm not sure I know *anyone* who does this.

Quote:
All that said, for me my favorite place to stay is the UWS. I can get to the street and walk to almost everything I want to do every day. If not there is the subway. And the best part of every day's experience (and ofter the worst) is that walk/ride. That's why it is strange to hear about delivery being a plus? Perhaps T is getting sick of the crowds, and will be scouting out New Jersey homes in the near future?
Delivery is absolutely vital. That doesn't mean you don't go out to dinner. But if you or your spouse works late, you're not trying to go out to dinner, homie. Don't come at me with your temporary NYC ways. I can spot a visitor from a mile away from the goofy look on your face.

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #453
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Ticky tacky, and they all look just the same... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vogayV8MHz8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I forgot just how fucking brilliant that intro was.
That was the best thing about that show. Whatever agent unleashed Mary-Louise Parker's constant smarmy, sideways glance, stupid fucking grin on the world needs to be destroyed.

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #454
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
(in part because we don't need that much house)
I say this to anyone that listens: No one lives in more than 2,000 square feet of space (and that's the absolute most). No one. All the rest of the space is there to show off or to avoid parenting. "Oh the kids? They're down in the built-out basement with their friends. We never go down there. They're probably not taking every fucking opioid they can get their hands on."

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #455
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I like the design. You could invite nosy neighbors, watch them get loaded to salve their jealousy at your superior purchase, and then perhaps fall against a metal portion of the oven, leaving themselves a permanent burn scar.

"Khaki! What happened to your face!!!"

"Carter, it was awful! I forgot to eat after pilates, had some white gluten free sangria at the Smiths, and fell onto their pizza oven!"

"Pizza oven?"

"I just got botox!!! It's ruined!!!"

"Who designed it? Did it have slate base? Stone? Brick?"
Your absolute best work. And I formulated that opinion solely from you naming someone, "Khaki."

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #456
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Michelle Wolf

Quote:
A few jokes flopped, but on balance, it was pretty hysterical. The "softball team" joke alone was worth the price of admission: https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...speech-w519664
Agreed.

Also, the "Flint still doesn't have clean water" is brilliant. It's true, it's irrefutable, and it lights up everyone in the damn room - those who have done squat, those who have not covered it, those who don't want to talk about.

Ultimate response from now on to just about anyone in government or media complaining about anything.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #457
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
[List of non-awful suburban stuff]
Looks like you found a decent mix. I also hate the small, manufactured suburban "towns" you talk about, but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I interact with my neighbors so much more in the suburbs versus when I was in the city. There's a lot of sharing, borrowing and watching out for each other's kids. Some of the kids are dicks, but most aren't.

Now, we don't have a ton of diversity - I'll admit that. Well, we do have both protestants AND catholics.
I'm sure your neighbors are nice people. But they all have the same experience. I like going to different neighborhoods to see friends. I'm not saying people in suburbs are dicks because they're in the suburbs. Cities have waaaay more than our fair share of dicks. I just like that there is so much diversity (color, thought, experience--all kinds of diversity). If I had to talk about lawns or cars or barbecue grills or outdoor fucking pizza ovens or power washers or any of that suburban shit, I'd blow my brains out.

Do your neighbors do the pop in? I don't know how that's not the leading cause of violent murder.

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #458
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Your absolute best work. And I formulated that opinion solely from you naming someone, "Khaki."

TM
I missed Khaki. Yes, brilliant.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #459
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Do your neighbors do the pop in? I don't know how that's not the leading cause of violent murder.

TM
This is the only time I sympathize with the gun nuts.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #460
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I say this to anyone that listens: No one lives in more than 2,000 square feet of space (and that's the absolute most). No one. All the rest of the space is there to show off or to avoid parenting. "Oh the kids? They're down in the built-out basement with their friends. We never go down there. They're probably not taking every fucking opioid they can get their hands on."

TM
This is the fundamental issue I'm going to have if we move in to the city at some point. I'd say no one person really lives in more than 1,000, but for any two people it's not the same 1,000 (e.g., one of us occupies the library, one the workshop, etc.). But you live in more than 2000 for a while and boy do you end up with stuff.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #461
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Don't come at me with your temporary NYC ways. I can spot a visitor from a mile away from the goofy look on your face.

TM
Bullshit you can. I don't wear my Barney Greengrass or Find Brooklyn t-shirts until I get back to Michigan.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #462
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
As TM said, spending time trying to make conversation with other parents on youth sports teams is one of the lower circles in Dante's Inferno. That was similarly true when I lived in a city, though.
Yes and no. And this may just be my experience, but the parents of kids on suburban teams say shit like, "Well, if they really want their kids to be good, they should pay the extra to have them on a good travel team." Explaining how travel teams have taken something that everyone used to be able to do and have fun with, and monetizing it to give rich kids yet another advantage doesn't fucking compute. I've also heard "This is one of the city teams where the kids are all from bad neighborhoods," talking about fucking 9 year olds. This shit is constant. My ex-wife and I spend all of our time talking to just each other at games because the parents are so awful. So, that's saying something (although, we're pretty good friends, so maybe it's not.)

It's the isolation that's the problem. It's a manufactured, sheltered experience in which stereotypes and bad experiences one person had with a black person that one time become gospel and shared and re-shared until there is no tolerance for people who look different at all. These are the people who carve the black people they know out of what black people are allowed to be in their minds because they're different somehow. How someone feels comfortable enough with me to talk about how awful the neighborhood is they had to drive through to get to a tournament is beyond me. I look at them like they're fucking crazy, but they don't get it.

To be fair, there are people who do this in the city too, but they're mostly rich assholes who are going to look down on people no matter where the fuck they are (and always have).* In cities, we isolate ourselves with buildings people don't belong in, or schools in districts drawn up specifically to exclude, etc. There is no avoiding it. It just feels like the norm in the suburbs (at least the ones I'm familiar with) is a level of segregation by race and by socio-economic class. And I hate it. At least kids can just be kids at the playground and parents tend to be open to talking to other, different, parents there. The subway is the great equalizer. And we can all bond over our collective hate for tourists.

TM

*See: https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/class-divide, about Avenues, which they put in my neighborhood (the same one I grew up in), which just turns my stomach. (And the amazing little girl they spend some time on form the projects down the street from Avenues was rejected after the making of this documentary, I think.)
Old 04-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #463
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
The single worst policy decision we ever made in this country was to lead our cities away from being designed around mostly walking and taking the streetcar/subway and toward accommodating car trips (to and from the suburbs). Cars have their uses, but they absolutely kill cities.
Not trying to be difficult because I agree with you. But the worst policy decisions we made arehemming in poor and minority people in throw away neighborhoods and then basing every single policy we have instituted from then on on shaming them, punishing them, over-policing them, and depriving them of resources. Building freeways around their neighborhoods to accommodate white flight (and so the people in them can be completely avoided so we can pretend they don't exist) is just part of that problem.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 04-30-2018 at 01:40 PM..
Old 04-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #464
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I just would suggest Houston would put up some signs about how to get to different places, e.g. the airport.

PS:
I put up the "like Kayne" years ago when Thurgreed compared something the two of us artists had said. But I wonder now if it doesn't come across as an endorsement for the MAGA- Kayne?
Kanye is canceled.

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #465
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
you drink like old people fuck.
Dry and slow?

TM
Closed Thread