LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 108
0 members and 108 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #1606
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I knew I wasn't getting it right, but I also knew that going back and looking for it would just piss me off more.
Send your b/p through the roof: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...harlottesville
Old 08-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #1607
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
"Obama set racial relationships in the nation back 100 years with his divisional rhetoric."

Is this person just saying Obama was uppity, and the unrest is because he didn't stay in his place?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #1608
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
"Obama set racial relationships in the nation back 100 years with his divisional rhetoric."

Is this person just saying Obama was uppity, and the unrest is because he didn't stay in his place?
Srsly? He's a 300 pound redneck.

By the way, trump just went on a crazy rant to reporters. Heard it on the radio. It's quite amazing, and it will be hitting the Internet in about 10 minutes.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #1609
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

In the least surprising development ever, he's back to blaming "both sides," saying the violence was mostly on the left (straight off the racists talking points) and noting how the torch carrying protest the night before was "peaceful."

So if you're Mattis, Kelly (although he might be Kloset KKK), Tillerson or whoever else isn't explicitly Bannon, Miller and Gorka, do you resign or stick around in order to try to keep that crowd from full control?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #1610
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
In the least surprising development ever, he's back to blaming "both sides," saying the violence was mostly on the left (straight off the racists talking points) and noting how the torch carrying protest the night before was "peaceful."

So if you're Mattis, Kelly (although he might be Kloset KKK), Tillerson or whoever else isn't explicitly Bannon, Miller and Gorka, do you resign or stick around in order to try to keep that crowd from full control?
I'm just sick. And I'm not sure I can look at anyone who voted for this fuck the same way ever again.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 08-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #1611
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I'm just sick. And I'm not sure I can look at anyone who voted for this fuck the same way ever again.
I can't figure out why cabinet members are not resigning. That was a press conference to announce that he is a Nazi sympathizer and will to consider dropping the "sympathizer" part.

How does anyone who listened to their first grade teacher about what America means not distance themselves from this crater?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #1612
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I can't figure out why cabinet members are not resigning. That was a press conference to announce that he is a Nazi sympathizer and will to consider dropping the "sympathizer" part.

How does anyone who listened to their first grade teacher about what America means not distance themselves from this crater?
I was just coming here to post the same thing. How can anyone knowingly work for him anymore? Who the fuck wants to be tarred as a Nazi sympathizer from now until the end of time?
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 08-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #1613
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post

Watched the Vice thing. Pretty disturbing shit. Must see.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #1614
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I was just coming here to post the same thing. How can anyone knowingly work for him anymore? Who the fuck wants to be tarred as a Nazi sympathizer from now until the end of time?
Just as there were Republicans who became more intolerant of Obama because he was on their side, there are Republicans who will become more accepting of white supremacists because they're on the same side.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #1615
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Hey, we should get together when you're here! Pick a day and place.

You do realize Boston is the next gathering place for the Nazis this Saturday, and that our holocaust memorial was vandalized yesterday, and there have been a couple of harassing incidents around it during the clean up?

These fuckers are feeling their oats, because they feel like they have a friend in the big very white building in DC. That's why I'd love to be around to just show the flag (the real one) when they're here, though I'm going to be out of town on vacation through the next week.
I know they will be there. You can stay safe. My point was a black man and his family in the rough, not so sure. He is a man who doesn't try to filter, and he goes from his brain to a post directly. Very sad to see this man's reality.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 08-15-2017 at 11:20 PM..
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #1616
ferrets_bueller

The Brownshirt Handbook, if there was one, would say in the first chapter that violently attacking one's enemies and then loudly blaming them for the violence that ensues is a time tested winner. That is precisely what happened in Charlottesville.

No more "I'm staying in the Cabinet because otherwise it could get worse." No more "My portfolio doesn't cover that and his views are not mine on many subjects." Anyone who stays with this ignorant bigot is complicit. Loud resignations are in order. Lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

No more Congressmen and Senators who make excuses. Trump has drawn a line in the sand. The legislators should ignore him, place before him legislation they pass without dialog with him. Pass a budget. If he signs it fine. If he doesn't, it is on him. Pass a new budget ceiling. If he signs it fine. And so forth.

There is an English procedure of manners equivalent to shunning, called the "cut direct". One fails to acknowledge a person in any way. If the person speaks to you, one acts as if one has heard nothing. Congress should give Trump the cut direct. Anything else is cowardice.

It has come to this: He has to go. Period.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #1617
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
The Brownshirt Handbook, if there was one, would say in the first chapter that violently attacking one's enemies and then loudly blaming them for the violence that ensues is a time tested winner. That is precisely what happened in Charlottesville.

No more "I'm staying in the Cabinet because otherwise it could get worse." No more "My portfolio doesn't cover that and his views are not mine on many subjects." Anyone who stays with this ignorant bigot is complicit. Loud resignations are in order. Lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

No more Congressmen and Senators who make excuses. Trump has drawn a line in the sand. The legislators should ignore him, place before him legislation they pass without dialog with him. Pass a budget. If he signs it fine. If he doesn't, it is on him. Pass a new budget ceiling. If he signs it fine. And so forth.

There is an English procedure of manners equivalent to shunning, called the "cut direct". One fails to acknowledge a person in any way. If the person speaks to you, one acts as if one has heard nothing. Congress should give Trump the cut direct. Anything else is cowardice.

It has come to this: He has to go. Period.
Trump is unfit for the office. Hell, he's unfit for many offices, in and out of govt. (And fitness for govt being the lowest bar known, this is about the strongest critique one can offer.)

His comments were appalling and imbecilic. The press conference can only be described as a meltdown. And I can't see how he retains office... though he probably will, for some period of time.

But this all leads to a much bigger thing than Trump. Among the many identities making up identity politics, we now have White Nationalists/Racists.

Hundreds, perhaps more than a thousand, people marched for white nationalist sentiment in Charlottesville. Forget Trump for a second, aforget politics, and forget the cabinet. How is the country going to contain that poison cloud?

We'll get a President Pence at some point, and things at the top will normalize (to an extent). But what's going to happen to this George Wallace Army of malcontents? Does it fizzle and dissipate with Trump's inevitable exit? Or does he go down a martyr? Is this thing a real political movement? Suppose it smartens up and makes its presence felt at the polls, rather than in stupid demonstrations?

To paraphrase W on Trump's inauguration speech, "[This is] some weird shit right here." Probably a lot scarier than weird.

I say give them Idaho, fence it off, and call it a day. So we lose a few good ski resorts... There are always trade offs.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #1618
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Just as there were Republicans who became more intolerant of Obama because he was on their side, there are Republicans who will become more accepting of white supremacists because they're on the same side.
I see more of a willful ignorance strategy emerging.

I hear from lots of Rs. Most find Trump to be a huge jackass, and are pissed that he can't get anything done. But they're not in any hurry to wade into the social debate. Some don't care. But most have this view: The Media and Trump deserve each other.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #1619
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Among the many identities making up identity politics, we now have White Nationalists/Racists.
White Nationalists and racists didn't need black, brown and queer people and women standing up for equality to "mak[e] up identity politics. They've been at it forever.

This is a disgusting Fox News talking point you should be smart enough not to repeat.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #1620
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
But they're not in any hurry to wade into the social debate. Some don't care.
Lots of people don't care. Because, ultimately, they are racists too.

I think a lot of people (including me) used to think that for the most part pretty much everyone agreed that racism was bad. Sure, there was lots of latent racism in pretty much everyone, and tons of lingering institutional racism, but aside from a small number of nutjobs, we were mostly on the same page. People were mostly racist out of ignorance (what do you mean I shouldn't say that?) not out of hatred. We thought this because that's the way that polite society behaved. People are dumb, not evil. Politics and corporate America work this way.

Then Trump came along and rejected all of that. Some of us urged people to reject him because of it and collectively as a country we didn't care. Maybe they didn't vote for him because of it, but they surely didn't vote against him either.

So that's gone. We can no longer believe that people are mostly just ignorant. They know he's a racist and they don't care. That makes them racist too.
Closed Thread