LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 214
0 members and 214 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #916
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Any Saints fans around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
If I were making the rules from scratch, I would allow neither condition. A league is a club, and the only form of discipline I would allow of players, coaches or teams is "You can't play, ever" or "You can't play for __ games." Conditioning the ability to play on the status of contractual obligations with a team's employees is a bad idea. What if the Saints said "Your conditions would put us in breach of contract under Louisiana law?" or "This effectively exposes us to constructive dismissal liability?" Is the league then supposed to say "You should have thought of that when negotiating terms"? Just messy. The league's power is to say "You're not a member in good standing if . . .". Prohibiting financial dealings is asking for trouble.

But I've come to recognize I often see things in ways others think crazy, so have at it.
Can a league say "Team X has drafted John Doe, so Team y cannot contract with John Doe."
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #917
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
They haven't announced player discipline yet, I don't think.
The amounts were small and mostly funded by small fines for things like sleeping through meetings. So real discipline will be suspensions or large fines.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #918
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
If I were making the rules from scratch, I would allow neither condition. A league is a club, and the only form of discipline I would allow of players, coaches or teams is "You can't play, ever" or "You can't play for __ games." Conditioning the ability to play on the status of contractual obligations with a team's employees is a bad idea. What if the Saints said "Your conditions would put us in breach of contract under Louisiana law?" or "This effectively exposes us to constructive dismissal liability?" Is the league then supposed to say "You should have thought of that when negotiating terms"? Just messy. The league's power is to say "You're not a member in good standing if . . .". Prohibiting financial dealings is asking for trouble.

But I've come to recognize I often see things in ways others think crazy, so have at it.
Or the league could fine him $7.5 million and either give the money to charity or back to the Saints.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #919
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
The amounts were small and mostly funded by small fines for things like sleeping through meetings. So real discipline will be suspensions or large fines.
I suspect Mr. Vilma will not like what Commissioner Goodell instructs (against Atticus's delicate sensibilities) the Saints to do about his play and pay this year. It can't be comfortable to be specifically called out for offering $10,000 on the head of the geriatric Mr. Favre. Especially because his teammates collected $30,000 in fine for their attempts to collect.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #920
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

Courts recognize that sports leagues get to force their clubs to do certain things. It may be asking for trouble, but the leagues often prevail in said troubles. There are actually legal cases and such about this.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #921
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Courts recognize that sports leagues get to force their clubs to do certain things. It may be asking for trouble, but the leagues often prevail in said troubles. There are actually legal cases and such about this.
And there is also the reality where an individual team is generally unlikely to complain lest they get kicked out of the league.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #922
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
It's funny. The government almost always wins in court, but every time about half the people think they shouldn't.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #923
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Can a league say "Team X has drafted John Doe, so Team y cannot contract with John Doe."
I'm usually the guy defending collective decisionmaking at the expense of autonomy, but isn't that rule kinda sucky for John Doe? And for the enrichment of whom? Other players? It is to laugh.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #924
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

It's no fun when you add the last line.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #925
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
It's funny. The government almost always wins in court, but every time about half the people think they shouldn't.
You could change "the government" to "one of the parties", and this will still be true.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #926
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
And there is also the reality where an individual team is generally unlikely to complain lest they get kicked out of the league.
??? cite please?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #927
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I'm usually the guy defending collective decisionmaking at the expense of autonomy, but isn't that rule kinda sucky for John Doe? And for the enrichment of whom? Other players? It is to laugh.
Having a sports league involves setting some common rules that everybody must abide by, on and off the field. Of course there's a loss of autonomy, but without it the enterprise wouldn't function at all. And of course people can argue about how far to extend the competing principles.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #928
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd Finch View Post
You could change "the government" to "one of the parties", and this will still be true.
Doesn't work if you substitute "insurance company." Because then everybody is booing, except people who took Econ in college.

Edited because I lost track of who's winning and who's losing.

Last edited by Atticus Grinch; 03-21-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #929
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Having a sports league involves setting some common rules that everybody must abide by, on and off the field. Of course there's a loss of autonomy, but without it the enterprise wouldn't function at all. And of course people can argue about how far to extend the competing principles.
Translation: I believe America should become a communist state.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #930
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
??? cite please?
All of the cases I'm aware of involving sports leagues have been brought from the outside.
Closed Thread