LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 228
0 members and 228 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #3526
sebastian_dangerfield

Kavanaugh: Incel Hero, or "UberChad"?

I don't think we're at peak crazy in this country yet. But this Incel thing proves we may be getting close: https://www.thedailybeast.com/kavana...ncel-community

The Becky, Stacy, and Chad categories, if you were unaware: https://www.vox.com/2018/4/28/172902...ad-stacy-becky

This is an endless vein of cuckoo: https://wiki.incels.info/w/Incel_Wiki
Old 10-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #3527
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: I met God today on an uptown train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
What. The. Fuck. "Rocks Off" was my primary example of the legitimacy of horns in rock, and now you want to use it in your funeral? It's like I don't even know you any more. I just love this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNP-x94-SE
My attachment is largely to that break, where the song restarts and Mick throws off the line, "The sunshine bores the daylights outta me/Chasing shadows, moonlight mystery/Heading for the overload/Splattered on the dirty road/Kick me like you've kicked before/I can't even feel the pain no more..." I've no idea what it means (except to sympathize with the opening line when I was younger and would stay up all evening, all weekend), but I've always loved it.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #3528
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
After they serve a cake made with my ashes, a piece of which anyone wishing to inherit anything from me must eat (on camera) in order to receive money, but before the ceremony concludes to “Rocks Off,” “Let it Bleed” and “Sister Ray,” I’d like a short eulogy Just Like This:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xgU6SwuZJIY

“He didn’t go anywhere… He’s just fucking dead.”
Bourdain during Sunday night's show from Indonesia, discussing what to do with his remains:

“Leave me in the jungle. I don’t want a party: ‘reported dead.’ You know, what actually happens to my physical remains is of zero interest to me, unless they can provide entertainment value," Bourdain says. "Throw me into a wood chipper and spray me into Harrods, you know, at the middle of the rush hour. That would be pretty epic. I wouldn’t mind being remembered in that way.”

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...-12-episode-3/
Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #3529
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Horrible idea. We want completely neutral evaluators- plus Kav-Kav would only vote for hotties, and that would kill Adder's chances.
I say we develop an algorithm to assess judges based on the characteristics of past Supreme Court justices.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #3530
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Bourdain during Sunday night's show from Indonesia, discussing what to do with his remains:

“Leave me in the jungle. I don’t want a party: ‘reported dead.’ You know, what actually happens to my physical remains is of zero interest to me, unless they can provide entertainment value," Bourdain says. "Throw me into a wood chipper and spray me into Harrods, you know, at the middle of the rush hour. That would be pretty epic. I wouldn’t mind being remembered in that way.”

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...-12-episode-3/
My uncle just passed- bachelor so it is on me to wrap stuff up. He was a typical drunken football playing high school and college guy, until he flunked out- (no reported sexual assaults so not Kavanaughish) THEN he got beatnik and eventually Buddhist and read constantly, books not blogs (hi Ty!). Of course had no interest in his old friends. But when he died they pinged me on FaceBook and wondered when the ceremony would be. And we intended one until we read in one his journals NO SERVICE. It is so hard to convince these old drunk friends that there was not one, because everyone believes there was, just they weren't invited.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #3531
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
My uncle just passed- bachelor so it is on me to wrap stuff up. He was a typical drunken football playing high school and college guy, until he flunked out- (no reported sexual assaults so not Kavanaughish) THEN he got beatnik and eventually Buddhist and read constantly, books not blogs (hi Ty!). Of course had no interest in his old friends. But when he died they pinged me on FaceBook and wondered when the ceremony would be. And we intended one until we read in one his journals NO SERVICE. It is so hard to convince these old drunk friends that there was not one, because everyone believes there was, just they weren't invited.
I just finished this book, and it was pretty good. So they had a service and it was good. When Lick died he had said he didn't want a service, but by then he was dead. The service is really for the survivors. Sorry for your loss. You should have a service! When my mother died, it took months for my step-father to face doing one, but it was still so much better than not having one would have been.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 10-11-2018 at 04:18 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #3532
Pretty Little Flower

Re: I believe that God believes in Bob, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I’m more of a Pascal’s Wager kind of a guy, and now I’m kind of hoping to see the unlimited bananas in monkey heaven.
Cardinal resigns after grand jury report implicates him in massive sex abuse cover up. Pope praises Cardinal, whose actions led to the continued sexual abuse of likely hundreds of children, as a model bishop.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/w...gtype=Homepage

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's fucking amazing to me that folks still look to these people as having the moral authority to determine who gets the imaginary afterlife bananas.

I am not sorry.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #3533
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: I believe that God believes in Bob, not me.

Quote:
Cardinal resigns after grand jury report implicates him in massive sex abuse cover up. Pope praises Cardinal, whose actions led to the continued sexual abuse of likely hundreds of children, as a model bishop.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/w...gtype=Homepage

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's fucking amazing to me that folks still look to these people as having the moral authority to determine who gets the imaginary afterlife bananas.
The Catholic Church is a criminally corrupt organization. Were it a corporation, it'd have been indicted, closed, and its assets liquidated by now.

Percentage of hyperbole in the above statement? 0.0.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #3534
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I just finished this book, and it was pretty good. So they had a service and it was good. When Lick died he had said he didn't want a service, but by then he was dead. The service is really for the survivors. Sorry for your loss. You should have a service! When my mother died, it took months for my step-father to face doing one, but it was still so much better than not having one would have been.
I want a party. Open bar, good tunes, casual attire.

Nothing is a greater waste of time than a maudlin funeral. Somebody's already dead. Having the assembled act like they are too serves very little purpose.

Richard Dawkins has my proxy:
“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?”
That has always struck me as a perfect refutation of the necessity of religion, and of dour ceremonies ushering the deceased into Charon's Boat. We're all damned fortunate to have been here at all. Get over yourselves.

It's also an excellent argument against the work-to-consume hamster wheel of American culture.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-12-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Old 10-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #3535
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I want a party. Open bar, good tunes, casual attire.

Nothing is a greater waste of time than a maudlin funeral. Somebody's already dead. Having the assembled act like they are too serves very little purpose.

Richard Dawkins has my proxy:
“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?”
That has always struck me as a perfect refutation of the necessity of religion, and of dour ceremonies ushering the deceased into Charon's Boat. We're all damned fortunate to have been here at all. Get over yourselves.

It's also an excellent argument against the work-to-consume hamster wheel of American culture.

I think it would be in order to have a cover band at the funeral leading the congregation in a sing-a-long of "War! What is it Good For!" Good God, Y'all!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #3536
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
[Confidential to NotBob: Can I have your banana? And by banana, I mean all of your worldly possessions. I'm concerned you have not done enough to hedge your Pascalian wager. You know, the whole camel through the eye of needle thing. Anyhoo, hit me up on the DM and we can make the necessary arrangements.]
Bananas might be gone forever soon:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/cave...n-gene-editing

I too would like NB's banana. It's the Christian thing to do.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #3537
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post

Quote:
TR4 only affects a particular type of banana called the Cavendish. There are more than 1,000 banana varieties in the world, but the Cavendish, named after a British nobleman who grew the exotic fruit in his greenhouses on the edge of the Peak District, makes up almost the entire export market. The Brazilian apple banana, for example, is small and tart with firm flesh, while the stubby Pisang Awak, a staple in Malaysia, is much sweeter than the Cavendish. But no banana has become as ubiquitous as the Cavendish, which accounts for 47 per cent of all global production of the fruit.
I will miss Cavendish bananas, but there are many other bananas.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #3538
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

Only a CIS white man would assume the bananas in heaven will be Cavendish.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #3539
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I will miss Cavendish bananas, but there are many other bananas.
There are infinite bananas waiting for you! Of every possible variety!

So there's no reason not to give me the ones your currently own.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #3540
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

Thus was written the final and crushing indignity of the Bluths.