LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > New England

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 430
0 members and 430 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
nyerinexile

Rhode Island and Connecticut

I've broken the NE board in two so that each of the two areas have there own thread, and now we need you folks in the Southern half of New England to contribute. What's the dividing line for Yankees and Red Sox fans? People from Rhode Island are almost always Sox fans, but those from Connecticut are sketchy on this.

You now have your own board, take advantage of it. If anyone has idea for polls or stories and doesn't want to post them him or herself you can send them to me at nyerinexile@hotmail.com, and I will post them.

Thanks,

nyerinexile:box:
nyerinexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally posted by nyerinexile . . .
What's the dividing line for Yankees and Red Sox fans? People from Rhode Island are almost always Sox fans, but those from Connecticut are sketchy on this.
. . .
South and west of Hartford?
Old 04-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
nyerinexile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Does that apply to the Patriots as well?
Old 04-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #4
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally posted by nyerinexile
Does that apply to the Patriots as well?
Hmm, maybe with less strength, because a lot of NEers are Giants fans, from before the Pats existed, and when they played in New Haven. Even in Boston there are a lot of Giants fans, and their games are pretty regularly on TV (as the Fox matchup).

But vis-a-vis the Jets, I suspect you'd have to get to the true NY burbs before they overtake the pats.

If you looked at the proposed move of the Pats to Hartford on a purely machiavellian level, I would say it was an effort to expand the market on the competitive fringe, since the rest of NE is pretty solidly Pats.

As for the Sox, keep in mind that the PawSox are RI's team, but that means the Red Sox are the major-league team of choice. My guess is the Sox lost a few fans in CT when New Britain got transferred to whomever, and the sox took up Trenton as a AA affilliate (or whereever it is--Portland, Me, now?).
Old 04-07-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
nyerinexile

Quote:
Hmm, maybe with less strength, because a lot of NEers are Giants fans, from before the Pats existed, and when they played in New Haven. Even in Boston there are a lot of Giants fans, and their games are pretty regularly on TV (as the Fox matchup).

But vis-a-vis the Jets, I suspect you'd have to get to the true NY burbs before they overtake the pats.

If you looked at the proposed move of the Pats to Hartford on a purely machiavellian level, I would say it was an effort to expand the market on the competitive fringe, since the rest of NE is pretty solidly Pats.

As for the Sox, keep in mind that the PawSox are RI's team, but that means the Red Sox are the major-league team of choice. My guess is the Sox lost a few fans in CT when New Britain got transferred to whomever, and the sox took up Trenton as a AA affilliate (or whereever it is--Portland, Me, now?).
I thought that was pretty much how it worked for the Patriots. After all, southern Connecticut is basically a suburb of New York. Not in the same way as New Jersey, but still many of its residents work in NYC or used to work in NYC.

On the baseball front, I knew Rhode Island was solidly Sox country, and I think your correct that the Portland Sea Dogs, which used to be a Single A team for the Marlins is now in the Red Sox farm system. This move was unsurprising given that George Mitchell (former Senator from Maine) is in the new Red Sox ownership group.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #6
nyerinexile

Best Firms

On the Maine and New Hampshire board I have listed the best regional firms for Maine. I have no idea how to divide this area into geographical legal markets, except by Rhode Island and Connecticut. If anyone can offer a ranking of the firms in these areas (or has a better method for dividing the legal markets), please do so. It will provide folks seeking information a useful reference, and might also spur some debate.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
foobar

Connecticut has (more or less) 3 significant legal submarkets: Hartford, New Haven and Stamford. Hartford probably has 10 firms in the 50+ lawyer catagory, the largest ones probably being Day Berry, Shipman & Goodwin and Robinson & Cole. Hartford also has a sizable branch of Boston's Bingham, at something like 70 attorneys. Some of the Hartford firms have semi-sizable offices in Boston, and many of them have sizable offices in Stamford. New Haven has one sizable home grown firm, Wiggin & Dana in the 100+ lawyer catagory, and some branch offices from Hartford and Stamford. Hartford and New Haven are only about a 45 minute drive apart. Stamford has one sizable home grown firm, Cummins & Lockwood, which also has a sizable Hartford office. That firms appers to be breaking up. Stamford also has several Hartford based branches, as well as branches of national firms like Paul Hastings and Pillsbury Winthrop. Bridgeport has Pullman and Comley, which has a number of branches and something like 75 attormeys.

It's a confusing mess. Not sure how to prestige rank.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
paigowprincess

Quote:
New Haven is where theland of the Red Sox starts. Also where the state gets poor. Is that the curse of the bambino also?
Old 04-25-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
nyerinexile

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
New Haven is where theland of the Red Sox starts. Also where the state gets poor. Is that the curse of the bambino also?
The curse of the Bambino is really just a metaphor for the Red Sox--Yankee's relationship. As everyone knows, the Yankees will always pay whatever it takes to buy the best players, leaving those teams without the funds to wallow in mediocrity. Its shameless.

:soapbox:
Old 04-25-2003, 06:43 PM   #10
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
That may be right. $125k for the babe and bridgeport.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:12 PM   #11
nyerinexile

RI and CT Bar

Below are the results from CT's most recent bar exams?

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/CBEC/results.htm

I haven't been able to locate a link to RI's bar exams. If anyone has it, please post it. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:14 AM   #12
nyerinexile

Lieberman

I love Joe Lieberman, but in case he hasn't figured it out.

Its over...