LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 360
0 members and 360 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #2136
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Not the Top 40

Pro-tip for young lawyers, or old lawyers depending on others for their work: I appreciate it when you say "Sorry I couldn't get to X, I'll be right on it". I do not appreciate it when you say "Sorry, I couldn't get to X, I was doing Y's work instead."

I don't give a shit about Y. Leave out the part where you show the poor judgement of doing that schlub's work instead of mine.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #2137
Not Bob

[He'd] rather hurt you honestly, than mislead you with a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Pro-tip for young lawyers, or old lawyers depending on others for their work: I appreciate it when you say "Sorry I couldn't get to X, I'll be right on it". I do not appreciate it when you say "Sorry, I couldn't get to X, I was doing Y's work instead."

I don't give a shit about Y. Leave out the part where you show the poor judgement of doing that schlub's work instead of mine.
Dude. Is it Adder's fault that Hank gives more interesting research projects? Besides, ain't you the BSD at your shop? If so, S some D then. Sheesh.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #2138
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: [He'd] rather hurt you honestly, than mislead you with a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Dude. Is it Adder's fault that Hank gives more interesting research projects? Besides, ain't you the BSD at your shop? If so, S some D then. Sheesh.
Thus the pro tip.

I have always believed in speaking softly and swinging a big stick. Still speaking softly now. Not much longer.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #2139
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post

Hint: Around my way, when someone says "I was doing Y's work" it means "Y gives me a piece of the case, you don't pops."
Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #2140
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Hint: Around my way, when someone says "I was doing Y's work" it means "Y gives me a piece of the case, you don't pops."
My firm: I'm king, but there is a sub king who had a better year than me. His work was a major piece of litigation in the E district of Texas (meaning fast track) that went to trial in December. So I have a major patent client and last year these two clients were like 60% of the firm (close to equal split and we provide everyone with financials at monthly meetings- even law clerks).

We have a clerk that graduated last spring and stepped into being an associate. She is stunningly talented. She does my work, but too close to deadlines. And she was there for the big lawsuit.

Okay. I told her if she cannot get to my patent stuff, give it back, no judgement, it is important to support the lawsuit. But instead she keeps giving me draft work that is great, but weeks too late.

her review is up in January. We make them do a self evaluation. She says that it is a bad thing she has become slow on the lesser important stuff because she was working the more important stuff (not a quote but close enough).

We are a firm that wants everyone to realize this is a business. My client is not lesser importance. It's like asking is 2 infinity less than 1 infinity. Frustrating to think about a youngster I otherwise am 100% on board with.

Meaning, I don't care about me v. partner X but keep the firm in mind.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 02-08-2017 at 12:38 AM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #2141
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It's like asking is 2 infinity less than 1 infinity.
I could swear Science Hank once lectured on an iteration of these boards about infinite sets of different sizes (which yes, is different).

Last edited by Adder; 02-08-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #2143
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
She is stunningly talented.
Ok you lost me right there, John Blutarski would be a Phi Betta Kappa at my short bus.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #2144
Icky Thump

Quote:
Ok you lost me right there, John Blutarski would be a Phi Betta Kappa at my short bus.
EXCEPT:

We have people with genius IQ in ducking work and answering a question with a question.

If I ask for a subpoena form in word it is because I want to save the time of changing it from pdf to word and editing all the lines and text boxes. I want one where it has already been done. I know where to find the printed form. I know where to find the pdf. I asked for word. I want word.

Sometimes I wish for either a response or "Yes Chef!"
Old 02-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #2145
Icky Thump

Quote:
Once in 7th grade a teacher put me in the small, modified class just to be a dick, even though I was genuinely a lazy honors student who (almost) totally bulshitted him on a project. I didn't say anything. The teacher was so nice. The kids were so nice. It was so easy.

Then the teacher figured it out and they put me back in Honors English.

But honestly at my place, every day feels like the small class. Must be a character flaw on my part. Because I'm still here.