LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 190
0 members and 190 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #496
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
that is foreign to me, and I think really not the way to explore restaurants in a city where you will spend time. Walk along a street, walk in and try what looks good. i can't imagine handing off my experience to someone else's choices, though I suppose it explains the ability to say the entire city of DC has no decent Chinese food.
I found restaurants in a number of different ways, but many of the best came from his recommendations, many of them in places I never would have found otherwise. Walking is a great idea, but you're never going to walk up and down the Rockville Pike, so with that strategy you're going to miss some excellent places. Meanwhile, many very walkable neighborhoods (Georgetown, Penn Quarter, Chinatown) feature a lot of mediocre places. If it works for you, great.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #497
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I think the idea that kids are getting an advantage by playing on a more competitive team in a program is not quite right. The more competitive teams are better, and they have better coaching. But the kid who gets to play on that level and isn't starting is not necessarily improving as much as s/he would have playing all the time at the next level down.
Who plays "all the time" on those teams?

My son played travel on a "coach with accent" team- meaning the high cost team with a coach that was supposed to be the answer since he played in Europe. He then switched to travel with the local community team, and his friend's dad as coach. I'm pretty sure our local team would have beaten the $$$ team. The $$$ didn't have kids sitting out. They all played the same- the dollars made sure of it. And that made the team suck. Little Johnny wants to be a ball hog and not even consider passing? Local team would have sat his ass. The $$$ team wouldn't risk losing the money.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #498
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I found restaurants in a number of different ways, but many of the best came from his recommendations, many of them in places I never would have found otherwise. Walking is a great idea, but you're never going to walk up and down the Rockville Pike, so with that strategy you're going to miss some excellent places. Meanwhile, many very walkable neighborhoods (Georgetown, Penn Quarter, Chinatown) feature a lot of mediocre places. If it works for you, great.
Walk/drive, but make you own choices. some book tells me where to eat? No thanks; i'm leading my life over here. but if someone else telling you what is good works for you, great.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #499
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Who plays "all the time" on those teams?

My son played travel on a "coach with accent" team- meaning the high cost team with a coach that was supposed to be the answer since he played in Europe. He then switched to travel with the local community team, and his friend's dad as coach. I'm pretty sure our local team would have beaten the $$$ team. The $$$ didn't have kids sitting out. They all played the same- the dollars made sure of it. And that made the team suck. Little Johnny wants to be a ball hog and not even consider passing? Local team would have sat his ass. The $$$ team wouldn't risk losing the money.
The top teams in our club are not giving equal playing time. Some kids are sitting a lot.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #500
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
The UD show paints NO as a place that refuses to change anything- they went to Vietnamese places where crawfish is made traditional cajun, no one wants to vary, supposedly. then they contrast the changes made in Houston. Underbelly guy was a big part of the show too.
The goat dumplings from Underbelly just came back on the menu at Hay Merchant, so not all is lost in the upheaval. (I live within walking distance of both.)

Houston food is so amazing because we have so many different cultures here and we steal the good stuff and repackage it with other stuff. If you can, find the Anthony Bourdain episode of Parts Unknown on Houston. (There's a bootleg of it here, but who knows how long it'll last. It aired either right before or right after the election, and really highlighted what happens when a whole bunch of people from all over live together.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #501
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Walk/drive, but make you own choices. some book tells me where to eat? No thanks; i'm leading my life over here. but if someone else telling you what is good works for you, great.
You don't want recommendations from other people? That's nuts. That's the best way to find new places. Some people's recommendations are good, and some are terrible, but you figure that out.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #502
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I think the idea that kids are getting an advantage by playing on a more competitive team in a program is not quite right. The more competitive teams are better, and they have better coaching. But the kid who gets to play on that level and isn't starting is not necessarily improving as much as s/he would have playing all the time at the next level down. What I see at somewhat younger ages is parents who think their kids are the next Messi and keep pushing them higher, switching programs to do it if necessary. A little later, the kids switch on their own, usually because a friend in another program tells them how much better it is there.

You're right that it's so much easier for affluent kids to get into the system. For the program, the two costs are coaching and fields. (Especially fields. In my area, there is a huge shortage, and the club rents fields from the school districts, which cover their budget shortfalls by (essentially) making it harder for poor kids to play the sports they can't play in school.) Kids whose parents can pay for these things will find someone willing to take their money. Kids whose parents can't are less likely to find a spot.
Either I'm not conveying my point adequately or you are translating it into something you can push back against.
  • There are a huge number of travel teams that cost money to join.
  • These teams provide year-round instruction and even offer specialty coaching for position players, like goalies.
  • Poor kids cannot afford to play on these teams, their parents can't afford to leave work to take them to the 3-5 times a week practices, and they can't afford the out-of-town tournaments.
  • Kids who might have been amazing players had they had the same level and intensity of instruction play in parks with their parents or other kids in similar positions or, if they're lucky, on public school teams.
  • Public school teams are being robbed of the players on travel teams because parents and kids see them as inferior and a source of instruction that will actually harm the elite levels of coaching their kids receive.
  • Because of this, public school kids who aren't on travel teams are not seen by college recruiters who all go to the big time tournaments that travel teams must qualify for (and to qualify, you need to be certified at whatever level the tournament is featuring (EDP, NPL, ECNL, etc.)).
  • The kids who are not on the absolute elite travel teams are still being recruited by Division II and III schools.

The fact that you think this is not really an advantage is ridiculous. Check the make-up of the women's national team. Hell, go take a look at any 10 colleges' women's soccer teams--any level, and report back to me what color the players are.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...world-football

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 04-30-2018 at 03:53 PM..
Old 04-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #503
Not Bob

Did Mohammed move the mountain, or was that just PR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Then he came back to life as the Zombie Jesus, but in a twist anticipated by few, it is the faithful who, in a weekly celebration of his gruesome torture and murder, cannibalize the Zombie Jesus and not vice versa.
Jesus Christ (uh, npi - honest) - you should totally teach the 13 year old CCD class at Our Lady of Perpetual Motion. That kind of thin could get the little bastards into the pews.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #504
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
You don't want recommendations from other people? That's nuts. That's the best way to find new places. Some people's recommendations are good, and some are terrible, but you figure that out.
I am hearing suggestions from RT right now, and also telling her about a TV show that will suggest my restaurant choices the next time I'm in Houston. Contrast having a book (or person) that is "my bible" for restaurant choices of all kinds, especially when I first moved to a new city. It's sad, but does help us assign weight to your statement about Chinese food across the entire city of DC.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #505
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Either I'm not conveying my point adequately or you are translating it into something you can push back against.
  • These teams provide year-round instruction and even offer specialty coaching for position players, like goalies.
  • Poor kids cannot afford to play on these teams, their parents can't afford to leave work to take them to the 3-5 times a week practices, and they can't afford the out-of-town tournaments.
  • Kids who might have been amazing players had they had the same level and intensity of instruction play in parks with their parents or other kids in similar positions or, if they're lucky, on public school teams.
  • Public school teams are being robbed of the players on travel teams because parents and kids see them as inferior and a source of instruction that will actually harm the elite levels of coaching their kids receive.
  • Because of this, public school kids who aren't on travel teams are not seen by college recruiters who all go to the big time tournaments that travel teams must qualify for (and to qualify, you need to be certified at whatever level the tournament is featuring (EDP, NPL, ECNL, etc.)).
  • The kids who are not on the absolute elite travel teams are still being recruited by Division II and III schools.

The fact that you think this is not really an advantage is ridiculous. Check the make-up of the women's national team. Hell, go take a look at any 10 colleges' women's soccer teams--any level, and report back to me what color the players are.

TM
Sorry, agree with all of this. The term "travel team" means different things to different people. I thought you were making a point about kids whose parents push them to the higher level within the club, and the fact that it tends to be affluent parents who do that. What I was saying is that I don't think it necessarily helps a kid to be pushed to the higher-calibre team. It is absolutely true that the club soccer system is oriented to people who can pay the fees (which, as I said, basically cover coaching and fields -- and the coaches are not getting rich off their cut). There are some scholarships available for kids whose families don't have the money, but not a lot, and this $$$ tends to go to the kids who are standing out, which means that a lot of kids from non-wealthy families will fall out of the system early, before their potential is clear. If you want to play in college, at least in this area, you don't play high school soccer. You need to play in a club. The more competitive teams won't let you play on your high-school team. My sons play both, but they're playing for the HS because they want to be on a HS team, not because it will help them play at a higher level.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #506
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
These are hard facts. It's improving here. We finally figured out what tacos actually are and places have been popping up. But the lines are too damn long at the few places we have still.
I hope for your sake they are more like this:

than

this:

Quote:
But we got a Sichuan place near us recently that is just ridiculous. I shovel their dishes into my mouth while sweating from the spice levels. So damn good.

TM
We have THREE now in the neighborhood. Before, we had to go to Chinatown. I think the menus are slightly different in our part of town than Chinatown, but I'm not complaining.

We still have to go to Chinatown for soup dumplings, though.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #507
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I am hearing suggestions from RT right now, and also telling her about a TV show that will suggest my restaurant choices the next time I'm in Houston. Contrast having a book (or person) that is "my bible" for restaurant choices of all kinds, especially when I first moved to a new city. It's sad, but does help us assign weight to your statement about Chinese food across the entire city of DC.
See, this is better trolling. I lived and worked in DC. I went to a lot of places, some of which I found through Cowen. His recommendations have been excellent, and I have found a lot of good places through him. I have been to many other places, some of which were good and some of which weren't. I worked in Penn Quarter and got around a bit, including to Chinatown, which offered nothing good Chinese (though I liked Matchbox). If you think there is a good Chinese place in DC, name it. If you are going to pass up the Chinese places on the Rockville Pike like Sichuan Pavilion and Joe's Noodle House (sp?) because I originally found them through Cowen, your loss. Incidentally, you can drive past those places and never see them. Joe's is in a strip mall on the right side as you head away from District, with its storefront facing the wrong way. The only way you'd see it is by driving past it and look back for it. Sichuan Pavilion is in the back of a mall, not visible from the street.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #508
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Sorry, agree with all of this. The term "travel team" means different things to different people. I thought you were making a point about kids whose parents push them to the higher level within the club, and the fact that it tends to be affluent parents who do that. What I was saying is that I don't think it necessarily helps a kid to be pushed to the higher-calibre team. It is absolutely true that the club soccer system is oriented to people who can pay the fees (which, as I said, basically cover coaching and fields -- and the coaches are not getting rich off their cut). There are some scholarships available for kids whose families don't have the money, but not a lot, and this $$$ tends to go to the kids who are standing out, which means that a lot of kids from non-wealthy families will fall out of the system early, before their potential is clear. If you want to play in college, at least in this area, you don't play high school soccer. You need to play in a club. The more competitive teams won't let you play on your high-school team. My sons play both, but they're playing for the HS because they want to be on a HS team, not because it will help them play at a higher level.
Agree completely.

My daughter left a team that wanted her to give up all other sports and the HS team. For the newest level of elite program, they wanted her at practice 5 times a week for two hours. It's completely ridiculous, even at the not so crazy clubs. If you're kid hasn't already been identified as an automatic, no brainer selection to the junior National Team (and if she were, you'd know it), committing to something like this is pure insanity. If you're kid is going to get a scholarship to an elite D I team, I can see why you may push for this. But what's more likely is that you are delusional and/or your kid will burn the fuck out before it happens.

Parents are absolutely nuts. Two of the girls on her AAU team have personal shooting coaches. Everyone is crazy.

TM
Old 04-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #509
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
No argument here. But you actually need a nearby neighborhood full of the people who will actually support such a business. That's not necessarily common for a whole lot of suburbs.

These are hard facts. It's improving here. We finally figured out what tacos actually are and places have been popping up. But the lines are too damn long at the few places we have still.

I used to complain about the 150 Chinese food places that delivered to us because it seems like you have to ask for your food super spicy to get it the way it should be (or go with an actual Chinese person and get the real menu that only they can read). Of course it also depends on which region in China the restaurant focuses on. But I soon swallowed my complaints after eating Chinese elsewhere. You people are deprived, even of the good Chinese dishes created for Americans.

But we got a Sichuan place near us recently that is just ridiculous. I shovel their dishes into my mouth while sweating from the spice levels. So damn good.

TM
I still miss the city, and I might move back when the kids are done with school. That's the reason why we moved out here (and why most people leave the city).

I thought I'd hate the 'burbs. But I don't. It can be boring at times, but sometimes (not always), I just want to throw a few logs on the fire pit and sit in my back yard (and eventually run into the house because of some asshole skunk..or mosquitos!). I love the hustle and/or bustle of the city (and I especially love spring days in the city when the little skirts start to come out), but peace and quiet has its place too.

That being said, it's expensive to live in NYC (duh). Really expensive. I couldn't afford a power washer if I lived there.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #510
ferrets_bueller

Quote:

TM
I have a ton of experience with travel soccer and basketball, both boys and girls.

There are four types of travel teams I've seen.

1. Lily white. Expensive to join.

2. Lily white except for two players who are so good that they carry the rest of the team to a higher level. The two minority players are friends of the other players, and the players know that their team really needs the talent. These positions are often subsidized.

3. Teams formed by military families. Taste the rainbow. In my neighborhood, these kids are from Fort Belvoir.

4. Meritocracy without financial considerations. If you're better than somebody we have, you're in, and we'll find a way to get you a uniform, a ride home from practice, a place to stay four to a room on road trips, and whatever else you need. No player was ever turned away from any of the teams I was associated with for lack of funds. At one point my son played on a team which...because of the Jewish guy from Australia... had players from every occupied continent.

To your point, most teams fall into categories 1 and 2.
Closed Thread