LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 121
0 members and 121 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Lots of big words.

My own psychoanalytical construct of Trump's gestalt is that he's a fuckin asshole, and probably a bitter senile old coot, too.
I never want to hear the words "women are too emotional to be _____ " again.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I never want to hear the words "women are too emotional to be _____ " again.

To put a gloss on that, becoming a man in my 50s has led me to a realization as I watch some of my friends dealing with divorces, mid-life crises, etc. Which is that adolescent boys are not the most dangerously hormone addled males out there.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Contra to my assertion that racism is about ignorance, Gene Denny pointing out it's about power: https://twitter.com/geedee215/status/862865685713739776

Might be both though.

The Blood of Emmett Till was highly educational in that regard.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post

To put a gloss on that, becoming a man in my 50s has led me to a realization as I watch some of my friends dealing with divorces, mid-life crises, etc. Which is that adolescent boys are not the most dangerously hormone addled males out there.
In many regards (not all, but a lot of them), men are merely "brought to heel." Being compelled to suppress, and to act within certain dictates society has decided will provide "stability" is a far different thing than willingly and happily agreeing to do so (aka, maturing, or "growing").

Men are to a great degree frozen at age 18-25.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
In many regards (not all, but a lot of them), men are merely "brought to heel." Being compelled to suppress, and to act within certain dictates society has decided will provide "stability" is a far different thing than willingly and happily agreeing to do so (aka, maturing, or "growing").

Men are to a great degree frozen at age 18-25.
You're not going to like this: this is male privilege.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
You're not going to like this: this is male privilege.
Yes... Indeed. Being constrained by societal structures to refrain from indulging natural impulses and desires is quite the privilege.

By the way, this would fit under "everybody's privilege," as it does not apply solely to males. (In fact, such a conclusion might qualify as pretty sexist... or at least quite narrow minded.) Women, men, all races, all ethnicities, all sexualities -- we are all to some extent imprisoned by certain artificial social norms. I only spoke for men because that's the sole perspective from which I could offer first hand knowledge. My strong suspicion (I'd almost guarantee this) is women are just as much compelled to suppress themselves, and would rather live quite differently in many regards (or at least from time to time).

We're all closet hedonists constrained by risk/reward and comfort/excitement calculations. I'm not sure I can call it a cruel life in this regard, but I know "privileged" doesn't fit.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Yes... Indeed. Being constrained by societal structures to refrain from indulging natural impulses and desires is quite the privilege.
Being able to be frozen in place as a young adult in your heart of hearts is totally a privilege.

Also, you're constrained by the judgment of others, not actual threats of violence.

Also, you're characterizing immature impulses and desires as though they're "natural" or the "real you." Yeah.

Quote:
My strong suspicion (I'd almost guarantee this) is women are just as much compelled to suppress themselves, and would rather live quite differently in many regards (or at least from time to time).
Yes, because men will do violence and rape to them. In addition to those terrible societal pressures you have to deal with.

Quote:
We're all closet hedonists constrained by risk/reward and comfort/excitement calculations.
Your privilege is in the much shorter list of risks and their generally smaller magnitude.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Being able to be frozen in place as a young adult in your heart of hearts is totally a privilege.
If in her heart of hearts, a young woman wishes to be an artist, but is instead compelled to work in a boring business, would her lifelong retention of a feeling that she is at heart an artist be a "privilege"?

Strange definition you offer... You are saying the withholding of inner sincere views is a "privilege." I'm an agnostic leaning atheist. I've felt that way my entire life. I am compelled, at great annoyance, to bite my lip around the majority of people for whom such a view is controversial. Is this a privilege?

Quote:
Also, you're characterizing immature impulses and desires as though they're "natural" or the "real you." Yeah.
I am rather hedonist by nature. As I suspect are a lot of people. We'd like to indulge in all sorts of behaviors, but cannot do so (at least in our regular daily lives).

Magic mushrooms are delightful. Truly exceptional experience-enabling substances. Would you consider it "immature" to eat those past a certain age? (And what would that age be?) Skiing a mogul course in one's mid-forties is not wise in terms of joint health. If you do that, and you hurt your knees, should you be tsk-tsk'ed for being immature? Is it immature to listen to speed metal or gangsta rap at 55?

"Immature" is an artificial construct. It's got no objective meaning, and serves solely to allow those who wish to judge a device with which to do so. (If you look into conversion therapy, its replete with the notion homosexuality is just an "immature phase.")

Quote:
Yes, because men will do violence and rape to them.
Quote:
Your privilege is in the much shorter list of risks and their generally smaller magnitude.
Men are only constrained by social opprobrium, and women are constrained by both that and actual violence from men? Hence, male privilege exists, but an equivalent female variant does not?

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-15-2017 at 01:01 PM..
Closed Thread