LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Welcome/News > Safe Zone

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 226
0 members and 226 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Come on

Jump in, the water's just fine.

We know that sometimes coming to a space where everyone seems to already know each other can be a bit intimidating.

As a result we have created this board, call it the warm and fuzzy board, a place to introduce yourself, get your feet wet, what have you.

I will ask everyone to please refrain from flaming each other on this particular board.
leagleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Even is shy

So I will introduce her. Meet Even Odds, she's young, she's hot, sorry boys she's taken.

But she loves short vacations and long walks on the beach.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

And Slave is a jack...

um, nevermind.

I read warm and fuzzy Board and thought it was a sweater joke. I think I'll just stick to the asbestos boards.

not7yS
SlaveNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
evenodds
prodigal poster

Even is shy

Quote:
Originally posted by leagleaze
So I will introduce her. Meet Even Odds, she's young, she's hot, sorry boys she's taken.

But she loves short vacations and long walks on the beach.
Thanks so much, Leagl. I liked it better as long walks on the beach and short vacations, but no matter.

We hope this forum will be a transition for new users and delurkers. Since so many new people have been registering for the site, we wanted to put in a place where you can get you get used to the feel and the flow without being immediately flamed as a Penske sock. (Penske, you know I love you.)

As your hostess Leagl (young, hot, not interested in boys) will surely tell you, this is a wonderful community of people and we are happy to answer any questions you have.

E/O
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Even is shy

Quote:
Originally posted by evenodds

As your hostess Leagl (young, hot, not interested in boys) will surely tell you, this is a wonderful community of people and we are happy to answer any questions you have.

E/O
Well, you got not interested in boys right. And thanks for the intro there.

Joking aside, people might say what's the big deal, just post. But not everyone is used to an online community, not everyone is sure how one works and not everyone is ready to dive right in. If you are new to online communities, uncertain about the dynamic of the board, this is a good place to start.

You will find that different boards behave differently, and it never hurts to lurk a little while before posting on the busier boards such as the Fashionista board or Politics.

The Regional and other boards are there specifically for you to ask for and offer information to one another.

Law Talkers is part information, part gossip and part chat.

Feel free to join in for any or all of the three.

By the way, Slave No More is your host. And yes, he is always grumpy.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #6
noworrieshere

Question

Hi, glad to see a place to ask questions without getting flamed. Really enjoy the Boards, have been a lurker previously (have followed you guys all over the desert), but finally decided to join a while ago (though I mainly just read). I do have a question/suggestion; in reading the Fashion Board (too funny) there are a lot of abbrevations that I cannot figure out (i.e., NTTAWWT). Have tried Goggling information, but cannot find. Is there a way that you can put the most common abrevations some where so that they can be looked up for those "uninformed" readers like me?

By the way, love the Boards; lots of fun to read, maybe will post more (have posted on the "not-attorneys" board, but not much luck on getting others to join).

Thanks Mucho

Noworries here (or there)

P.S. Is there a spell check option? Lousy speller, hate to have to look up every time.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
evenodds
prodigal poster

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by noworrieshere
in reading the Fashion Board (too funny) there are a lot of abbrevations that I cannot figure out (i.e., NTTAWWT).
It's an abbreviation of the Seinfeld reference: "not that there's anything wrong with that."

Spelling here is optional, as you'll see throughout the FB.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #8
NYT_Junkie

Smile Answer = Seinfeldism

NTTAWWT = acronym for "not that there's anything wrong with that."

Common enough expression, particularly funny when used by Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza when they're being interviewed by a cute female NYU reporter who thinks they're gay, and Jerry doesn't want her to think so because he's interested in her. Of course, if they were gay, it's NTTAWWT, but they're not.

- NYT (local shrink/counselor for dissatisfied lawyers of all stripes over on the Ex-Lawyers board... newbies and lurkers welcome... of course, advice is worth what you pay for it!) Junkie
Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Question

Quote:
[i]in reading the Fashion Board (too funny) there are a lot of abbrevations that I cannot figure out (i.e., NTTAWWT). Is there a way that you can put the most common abrevations some where so that they can be looked up for those "uninformed" readers like me?
A dictionary for newbies would be great. Had to go back to the other board's FAQ to find out what a sock was. I was asked if I was a sock turns out I'm not.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:20 PM   #10
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Elk
A dictionary for newbies would be great. Had to go back to the other board's FAQ to find out what a sock was. I was asked if I was a sock turns out I'm not.
Good idea. I cannot begin to think of all the different phrases. If you aren't sure what something means ask here, and we can slowly create a dictionary to answer all your questions.

Last edited by leagleaze; 04-15-2003 at 05:36 PM..
Old 04-15-2003, 05:48 PM   #11
Pretty Little Flower

Newbie Paradigm.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Elk
A. Elk "And that is my theory."
I am reposting this here per request. I now know who Anne Elk is. She is a Monty Python character, and quite a hottie at that.

Who is this? Is this really a new poster? He/she is breaking all the paradigms of new posters. S/he has not come in and posted long introductions, only to be ignored by eveyone, only to prompt him/her to whine about how eveyone is ignoring him or her, to which some gentle poster responds with the whole story about how this is a cocktail party and you need to mingle first blah blah blah. Alternatively, s/he has not come barging in with some outrageous post that alienates someone/everyone, causing everyone to pile on him/her with the most vitriolic of vitriols, in response to which s/he then post sixty thousand times a day, thus prompting a modified version of the cocktail party post blah blah blah. Anyway, I think you know what I am getting at. To my knowledge, none of the above has happened. So, is Anne Elk just a new name for an old poster? Have I missed the boat on this? If not, why are we not adhering to time-tested paradigms? I am pissed, and not in the good British sense of the word.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #12
pretermitted_child
Underpants Gnomes!

For the record

I am not a sock.

-pc
pretermitted_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #13
noworrieshere

Cool New Question

Feel dumb, have to ask: what does "TWAWWT" mean? (Am going to have a brand new vocabulary by the end of the month )

Gracias

P.S. Question: Friend of mine is moving to NY (Brooklyn) native Michigandar (??); lived in CA for over 25 years, has heard horror stories that he won't find produce (or that it is WAY overpriced, not steller quality, etc., also has heard that there are no decent Mexican/Latin American restaurants, etc.). Anyone have any insights? Good places to frequent? Need the 411 on NY (Brooklyn).

Thanks again

NWH (HAPPY GOOD FRIDAY!)
Old 04-18-2003, 12:11 PM   #14
evenodds
prodigal poster

New Question

Quote:
Originally posted by noworrieshere
Feel dumb, have to ask: what does "TWAWWT" mean? (Am going to have a brand new vocabulary by the end of the month )
I assume she means "whether 'there was anything wrong with that.'"

Good question, though. Maybe NS will weigh in herself on this.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:15 PM   #15
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

New Question

Quote:
noworrieshere
Feel dumb, have to ask: what does "TWAWWT" mean? (Am
No idea. That's a new one.

Quote:
noworrieshere
Friend of mine is moving to NY (Brooklyn) native Michigandar (??); lived in CA for over 25 years...Need the 411 on NY (Brooklyn)
Brooklyn, with population on over 2.5 million, is larger than most American cities. Please be more specific.

Quote:
noworrieshere
... has heard horror stories that he won't find produce (or that it is WAY overpriced, not steller quality, etc., also has heard that there are no decent Mexican/Latin American restaurants, etc.)
Well, everything is waaaay overpriced here. Other than London, where do you pay $ 2800 for a 1BR apartment? But as for not finding it, that is a tragic overstatement.

As for decent - we have the more restaurants here than anywhere else, so there are plenty of decent - if not fantastic - resturants in that genre. The cuisine may be different, however, as California-Mexicans tend to have their own fare.

not7yS
SlaveNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote