LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 174
0 members and 174 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

#chinaski
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Thanks to everyone who congratulated me on this win, and we’ve never had more people congratulating a winner, this is bigly (Bigly autocorrrects to bigot, hmmm) news. You ever wonder why Ty doesn’t report I had the biggest win ever? I’m looking at the board and there’s nothing saying I had the most, and I know I did, I saw them all out there congratulating me, you have to wonder how Ty can be so fake?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Not Bob

I was so much older than, I’m younger than that now.

Congrats to Hank Chinaski, he of the avatar with a good tan and a jaunty devil-may-care grin!

Apropos of nothing, as a just-after-the-move-to-Infirmation kinda guy, I would pay Less* $20 to write the True History of the Greedy (sniff) Associates.

Heck, $25. Sometimes you have to say “what the heck,” Joel.

*Chef is too nice to be honest, amirite?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
Hank Chinaski

Re: I was so much older than, I’m younger than that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Congrats to Hank Chinaski, he of the avatar with a good tan and a jaunty devil-may-care grin!

Apropos of nothing, as a just-after-the-move-to-Infirmation kinda guy, I would pay Less* $20 to write the True History of the Greedy (sniff) Associates.

Paigow, whom I’ve hugged, but never fucked, would object and point out that Less was likely too drunk.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:19 AM   #5
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a4&oe=5CB7C7EE
Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 AM   #6
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Paigow, whom I’ve hugged, but never fucked, would object and point out that Less was likely too drunk.
But I am the only one left still posting.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
sebastian_dangerfield

Thanks for the Recommendation

Sapiens is highly entertaining.

“How many young college graduates have taken demanding jobs in high-powered firms, vowing that they will work hard to earn money that will enable them to retire and pursue their real interests when they are thirty-five? But by the time they reach that age, they have large mortgages, children to school, houses in the suburbs that necessitate at least two cars per family, and a sense that life is not worth living without really good wine and expensive holidays abroad. What are they supposed to do, go back to digging up roots? No, they double their efforts and keep slaving away.”

. . .

“Culture tends to argue that it forbids only that which is unnatural. But from a biological perspective, nothing is unnatural. Whatever is possible is by definition also natural. A truly unnatural behaviour, one that goes against the laws of nature, simply cannot exist, so it would need no prohibition.”

. . .

“The capitalist and consumerist ethics are two sides of the same coin, a merger of two commandments. The supreme commandment of the rich is ‘Invest!’ The supreme commandment of the rest of us is ‘Buy!’ The capitalist–consumerist ethic is revolutionary in another respect. Most previous ethical systems presented people with a pretty tough deal. They were promised paradise, but only if they cultivated compassion and tolerance, overcame craving and anger, and restrained their selfish interests. This was too tough for most. The history of ethics is a sad tale of wonderful ideals that nobody can live up to. Most Christians did not imitate Christ, most Buddhists failed to follow Buddha, and most Confucians would have caused Confucius a temper tantrum. In contrast, most people today successfully live up to the capitalist–consumerist ideal. The new ethic promises paradise on condition that the rich remain greedy and spend their time making more money and that the masses give free reign to their cravings and passions and buy more and more. This is the first religion in history whose followers actually do what they are asked to do. How though do we know that we'll really get paradise in return? We've seen it on television.”
Old 02-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
sebastian_dangerfield

From the "No Shit" Desk

Based on statistical analysis of policy, and ability to impact policy, the US is an oligarchy: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...2B/core-reader
Old 02-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Hank Chinaski

Re: Thanks for the Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Sapiens is highly entertaining.

“How many young college graduates have taken demanding jobs in high-powered firms, vowing that they will work hard to earn money that will enable them to retire and pursue their real interests when they are thirty-five? But by the time they reach that age, they have large mortgages, children to school, houses in the suburbs that necessitate at least two cars per family, and a sense that life is not worth living without really good wine and expensive holidays abroad. What are they supposed to do, go back to digging up roots? No, they double their efforts and keep slaving away.”

. . .

“Culture tends to argue that it forbids only that which is unnatural. But from a biological perspective, nothing is unnatural. Whatever is possible is by definition also natural. A truly unnatural behaviour, one that goes against the laws of nature, simply cannot exist, so it would need no prohibition.”

. . .

“The capitalist and consumerist ethics are two sides of the same coin, a merger of two commandments. The supreme commandment of the rich is ‘Invest!’ The supreme commandment of the rest of us is ‘Buy!’ The capitalist–consumerist ethic is revolutionary in another respect. Most previous ethical systems presented people with a pretty tough deal. They were promised paradise, but only if they cultivated compassion and tolerance, overcame craving and anger, and restrained their selfish interests. This was too tough for most. The history of ethics is a sad tale of wonderful ideals that nobody can live up to. Most Christians did not imitate Christ, most Buddhists failed to follow Buddha, and most Confucians would have caused Confucius a temper tantrum. In contrast, most people today successfully live up to the capitalist–consumerist ideal. The new ethic promises paradise on condition that the rich remain greedy and spend their time making more money and that the masses give free reign to their cravings and passions and buy more and more. This is the first religion in history whose followers actually do what they are asked to do. How though do we know that we'll really get paradise in return? We've seen it on television.”
If that were true I should be able to find plain salted kettle cooked potato chips. There is a reason potato chips are loved- they taste good! Why can't that be enough? No, consumers have apparently demanded so many odd ball flavors (I accidentally bought vinegar/salt/bar-b-q the other day) that there is no room on the shelves for the thing that made them popular in the first place. It's like if you went to a whore house and asked for straight sex and they say "nope, we're only serving anal today?"
Old 02-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Thanks for the Recommendation

Quote:
If that were true I should be able to find plain salted kettle cooked potato chips. There is a reason potato chips are loved- they taste good! Why can't that be enough? No, consumers have apparently demanded so many odd ball flavors (I accidentally bought vinegar/salt/bar-b-q the other day) that there is no room on the shelves for the thing that made them popular in the first place. It's like if you went to a whore house and asked for straight sex and they say "nope, we're only serving anal today?"
Re anal, this axiom from Hitchens holds (except as to good champagne, which is delightful): "The four most overrated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics." I'd pass on that brothel, particularly if the anal were offered as something exotic. It's not. I'd put it in the category of "things you try because they're right in front of you and... well, otherwise, you'll always wonder what it's like." (Strangely, however, the process of discovery there persists from sexual partner to sexual partner. Maybe this one is different...)

But on the more pressing and disturbing issue you've raised, I'd say if you can't buy decent plain, salted, kettle cooked chips in any store near you, You Need to Move. Sure, it takes some work to locate them amidst the forty variants of sriracha bbq filling the shelves of the local Whole Foods, but with a little determination, a guy with an eye for detail like yours can find the right crisps.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #11
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Eye Rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
But I am the only one left still posting.
That reflects very, very poorly on you, Sir.

Sn(And you bet the Rams)M
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Concierge Care

Quote:
Paigow, whom I’ve hugged, but never fucked
Regardless, get checked for Hep C.

Sn(Friend of the Friendless)M
Old 02-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #13
Hank Chinaski

Re: Concierge Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaveNoMore View Post
Regardless, get checked for Hep C.

Sn(Friend of the Friendless)M
The sores weren’t from falling and scraping your face? What else did you lie about?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 02-04-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #14
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Quote:
I would pay Less* $20 to write the True History of the Greedy (sniff) Associates.
Ahem.

Haven't spoken to Chef (or Ms. Chef) in a few years, but I assume we're good. Attended Plate's wedding, used to pal around NYC with Cornhole. Thurgreed is a friend. Penske and I worked together. Dated Multo. Married Catrin. Texted with SI yesterday and C2d 3 days ago.

Correct, Less should write the book.

SnM
Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Re: Concierge Care

Quote:
The sores weren’t from falling and scraping your face?(
It's a long story:

The sores came when I went outside at 2am in the cold (rather than texting DoorDash or UberEats) to get myself a delicious $6 Quiznos sandwich. As I returned home, while I was on the phone and holding my delicious sandwich, some crazy MFers started yelling "This Isn't MAGA Country - it's SUBWAY COUNTRY" - or at least I think they did, since they were wearing scarves, and a balaclava and I was wearing a hat and earmuffs (it's minus 5), well. one ear muff because my other ear is frozen to the phone. Anyway, they attack me, but I successfully fend them off because I'm a Ninja man, and a Ninja man only bleeds on the inside. I ignore the security guards when I get home, because my delicious sammich is intact. I eat the sandwich, and call my publicist to concoct a story and call the cops.

So no, the sores were from the Hep C. Get checked.

Sn(6th grade Health Class)M
Closed Thread