LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 278
0 members and 278 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #2356
Not Bob

Re: You could really be a Beau Brummel, baby, if you just gave it half a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
dirty secret- I'm often in court against the top bananas wearing shirts I bought at Marshall's. No one has ever said anything?
Occasionally I find stuff there or at TJ Maxx. It’s just not consistent. I bought a pair of cuff links at Marshall’s for $10 that the head dude at The Pig raves about every time he sees them. (“Just don’t let him wear them in front of the jury, Fenwick. We don’t want those good people to think that he’s some fat-cat lawyer with a client made of money.”)
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #2357
Icky Thump

Re: All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Actual fashion question - does anyone have wisdom to share on Thomas Pink dress shirts? IIRC, Sebby may have worn them in his “swingin free in Hickeys” phase.

Many moons ago, I was frustrated when I thought that the Paul Fredrick shirts had declined in quality, and DC Chef (sniff) recommended John W. Nordstrom shirts to me. Chef, as usual, was correct.

However, it has increasingly gotten harder to find JWN shirts in white or even blue. I’ve tried Tyrwitt and they’re ok, but not quite it. I keep a few Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts (which still have to be sorta ironed, but still) around, but I’m not a huge fan of their regular shirts. I’ve gone back to Paul Fredrick, and they’re better than before, but they don’t seem to stay white very long and even the magic dust that the cleaners use don’t help.

I’ve done some research and it seems that Pinks are well regarded. But they ain’t cheap. If they’re worth it, great, but I am reluctant to experiment without hearing from my Imaginary Friends. So, any pearls of wisdom?
Very nice but expensive and unless you can buy them on sale or at an outlet, not really worth it. For some reason, TM Lewin really fits me well now that I am thinner. And I can buy them for $29 each on sale.

Basically, my new hobby is buying clothes, then once I get them back from being altered, donating them because they no longer fit. Went from a size 50 to a size 42. Expensive fucking hobby.

ETA, I used to wear Nordstrom (because they were the fullest cut I could find) but the white noniron had a tendency to yellow after a while.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 05-21-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #2358
Icky Thump

Re: You could really be a Beau Brummel, baby, if you just gave it half a chance.

Quote:
dirty secret- I'm often in court against the top bananas wearing shirts I bought at Marshall's. No one has ever said anything?
Someone once chirped that fact that David Boies wore $200 Sears suits. To which I responded, "If I had a 200 IQ, I'd walk into court naked."
Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #2359
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Unless they're that thin, gauzy fabric the really cheap junk is made out of, under a jacket, I don't know how anyone can tell one shirt from another.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #2360
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Someone once chirped that fact that David Boies wore $200 Sears suits. To which I responded, "If I had a 200 IQ, I'd walk into court naked."
Boies is being a reverse douche there. Yeah, we get it -- you're like old money with duct tape on boat shoes and driving an '96 Chevy wagon around the town where you have your vacation mansion.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #2361
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Unless they're that thin, gauzy fabric the really cheap junk is made out of, under a jacket, I don't know how anyone can tell one shirt from another.
The collar. But the new internet vendors have that classic English looking collar made by Vietnamese but they look good.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #2362
Not Bob

Quote:
Very nice but expensive and unless you can buy them on sale or at an outlet, not really worth it. For some reason, TM Lewin really fits me well now that I am thinner. And I can buy them for $29 each on sale.

Basically, my new hobby is buying clothes, then once I get them back from being altered, donating them because they no longer fit. Went from a size 50 to a size 42. Expensive fucking hobby.

ETA, I used to wear Nordstrom (because they were the fullest cut I could find) but the white noniron had a tendency to yellow after a while.
Do you have a tailor in the city?
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #2363
Icky Thump

Quote:
Do you have a tailor in the city?
I have two that I have used

BOSCO & BARAZZA
(212) 753-3990‬
8 E 48th ST

These guys did a great job for a while, but then the last set of suits I brought there I really wasn't happy and could never get them right. I am not sure it was them or the suits (outlet quality). Other people I know have been to them recently and been very happy with extensive recutting of suit jackets.

I recently used
Allen Tailor and Cleaning
(212) 475-2454‬
150 Allen St
New York NY

These guys were recommended by J Press and they did a good job on just very minimal alterations (sleeves, waist, cuffs.)

A cousin of mine who works at Barney's (and I have never shopped there) strongly recommends

BHAMBI Custom Tailors
*(212) 935-5379‬
14 East 60th Street Suite 610
New York NY 10023

I have never used them.

Over the past year, I have opted for buying suits at places with good in-house tailors. Paul Stuart, J. Press, Hugo Boss. I dropped 20 in the last year (and 40 in the prior year) and the shit I bought last year is beyond alterable.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 05-24-2018 at 09:28 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #2364
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Just not to your face . . .

Haven't tried Pink in a while, because the time I did the sizing wasn't neck/sleeve specific, which is a non-starter unless you happen to have what they deem the right length sleeve for a given neck size.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #2365
Not Bob

Quote:
I have two that I have used

BOSCO & BARAZZA
(212) 753-3990‬
8 E 48th ST

These guys did a great job for a while, but then the last set of suits I brought there I really wasn't happy and could never get them right. I am not sure it was them or the suits (outlet quality). Other people I know have been to them recently and been very happy with extensive recutting of suit jackets.

I recently used
Allen Tailor and Cleaning
(212) 475-2454‬
150 Allen St
New York NY

These guys were recommended by J Press and they did a good job on just very minimal alterations (sleeves, waist, cuffs.)

A cousin of mine who works at Barney's (and I have never shopped there) strongly recommends

BHAMBI Custom Tailors
*(212) 935-5379‬
14 East 60th Street Suite 610
New York NY 10023

I have never used them.

Over the past year, I have opted for buying suits at places with good in-house tailors. Paul Stuart, J. Press, Hugo Boss. I dropped 20 in the last year (and 40 in the prior year) and the shit I bought last year is beyond alterable.
Thanks, Icky. And dropping 60 pounds in 2 years? Damn. Did you go back to the rock star cocaine and nicotine diet?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #2366
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post

Haven't tried Pink in a while, because the time I did the sizing wasn't neck/sleeve specific, which is a non-starter unless you happen to have what they deem the right length sleeve for a given neck size.
Translation: I have a GOITER!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #2367
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Translation: I have a GOITER!!!
No - gogo gadget arms.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #2368
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Stupid browser.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #2369
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Just not to your face . . .

Now I have male model dimensions so everything off the rack fits perfectly.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #2370
Icky Thump

Quote:
Thanks, Icky. And dropping 60 pounds in 2 years? Damn. Did you go back to the rock star cocaine and nicotine diet?
No, though I am damn close to my rock star weight. Just cut calories and counted them every day.