LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 209
0 members and 209 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #3721
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Which side are you on, boys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Asking to be paid for earned* but not used holidays is “audacious”?

*Yes, they were “earned” - on day one, maybe.
Ms Slothrop is a blue-collar worker and a union member, and she called the guy audacious, so I'll stand with her. And I don't think they were earned. The guy got them on day one, and didn't get any more from working the rest of the year, so he wasn't working for them.

Suppose a company has Canadian owners, and gives everyone the day off on Canada Day, and Canadian Thanksgiving, and, uh, some third Canadian holiday like Poutine Day. No one earned those days off -- they're holidays. If someone decides to work on them anyway, it would be audacious to demand to be paid for it.

Quote:
Asking to be paid for earned* but not used holidays is “audacious”?

*Would you demand repayment if your former employee had taken them and left before the end of the year? You probably would, you greedy** bastard.

** Isn’t it Alana-ic, don’t you think?
No, that's silly. Thanks for pointing that out.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #3722
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
2. ty bought me dinner in SF and it was basically at a restaurant build into a sanitary sewer- food was good, but the stench was ummm distracting to say the least- but if he took ME there, someone he was trying to impress, I cannot imagine what horror awaits his factotum at their annual end of year "celebration" lunch.
Hey, I'm going there for lunch in an hour!
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #3723
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Asking to be paid for earned* but not used holidays is “audacious”? Jesus, Ty, you really are a sellout to The Man. Perhaps this should be your new avatar:

*Yes, they were “earned” - on day one, maybe. Would you demand repayment if your former employee had taken them and left before the end of the year? You probably would, you greedy** bastard.

** Isn’t it Alana-ic, don’t you think?
I was more thinking this:

Old 10-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #3724
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Suppose a company has Canadian owners, and gives everyone the day off on Canada Day, and Canadian Thanksgiving, and, uh, some third Canadian holiday like Poutine Day. No one earned those days off -- they're holidays. If someone decides to work on them anyway, it would be audacious to demand to be paid for it.
So someone's co-workers are all home sharing Poutine with their First Nations friends and saying everything in French, English and Innuit, but Roberta Cratchit is under the gun to finish sorting all your files alphabetically based on the last letter of the first word, the way you like them, and has to work the whole day and eat porridge at her desk for lunch and you aren't going to pay her?

Someone's audacious here, but it's not Roberta Cratchit.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #3725
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
So someone's co-workers are all home sharing Poutine with their First Nations friends and saying everything in French, English and Innuit, but Roberta Cratchit is under the gun to finish sorting all your files alphabetically based on the last letter of the first word, the way you like them, and has to work the whole day and eat porridge at her desk for lunch and you aren't going to pay her?

Someone's audacious here, but it's not Roberta Cratchit.
I said they decide to work -- you changed that to "under the gun." If someone has to work then it really isn't a holiday, is it?

I have had so many co-workers who email from their vacations. No one makes them do it. It totally defeats the point. My rule is, I'm not responding to email during a vacation. If you need me, text or call me. Otherwise, it can wait until I'm back. I don't understand why more people don't that.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #3726
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
I said they decide to work -- you changed that to "under the gun." If someone has to work then it really isn't a holiday, is it?

I have had so many co-workers who email from their vacations. No one makes them do it. It totally defeats the point. My rule is, I'm not responding to email during a vacation. If you need me, text or call me. Otherwise, it can wait until I'm back. I don't understand why more people don't that.
Fuck that. Real American lawyers in a border city- on american only holidays- Labor Day Memorial Day- Actual Thanksgiving day- we pack up some files and go visit canadian clients. My kids can't eat "day off."

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 10-25-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Old 10-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #3727
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Fuck that. Real American lawyers in a border city- on american only holidays- Labor Day Memorial Day- Actual Thanksgiving day- we pack up some files and go visit canadian clients. My kids can't eat "day off."
Service economy, man.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #3728
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: Sebby is a dumbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I can't give an exact figure, but I'd guess going non-union decreases the spending of wages in the local economy by 10-15%.

Tariffs will probably make unions less popular. Steel cost increases alone provide a basis to argue that union wages aren't affordable. (Hence my confusion regarding the increase in development... My guess is these developments already had costs locked in before Trump put in tariffs.)

Here, however, its not really a question. Both as a matter of local law and politically, going non-union is increasingly not an option.
Here it isn't even a consideration. They just aren't down here all that much outside of the public sector and the entertainment industry. I think some of the refinery workers may be unionized, but that's about it. Definitely not construction.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 10-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #3729
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Anyone with interviewing etiquette/rules in their background? We represent a company that does military work. That company can only let US Citizens see its tech. I interviewed an immigrant earlier this week, and realized i needed to ask the "are you a citizen" question. Of course given the current climate it felt a shitty thing to do, and also I wasn't sure if the question violated some anti-discrimination rules? I had a super valid reason to ask, but that doesn't always matter.
Export control is always tricky, but I think it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask since it's part of the job.

This is a HUGE issue right now in higher ed and research to the point that NIH sent out letters a few months ago about it: https://www.cogr.edu/sites/default/f...2008-20-18.pdf
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 10-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #3730
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

No sewage smell today, Hank. Good octopus. You should come back.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #3731
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

More on the Democrat-controlled media:

Quote:
So much daily political coverage - the kind of cable news dominating flood the zone stuff - is driven by (as Brian Beutler put it on twitter) Republicans pretending to be outraged by things and reporters pretending to believe them.

Savvy reporter: ah, yes, but why can't Democrats master the art of the hissy fit, too? Gotta get better at the game.

Normal person: I had no idea this was all a fucking game.

Even when bombs are being sent to Democrats, stuff Republicans are upset about (such snowflakes) dominate the coverage.
Atrios
Old 10-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #3732
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
More on the Democrat-controlled media:

Atrios
the looniest of my FB/HS friends is posting a meme claiming the bombs were mailed BY Dems- nice plot, but I'd wait for some, ummm, evidence before sticking my neck out like that?
Old 10-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #3733
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
the looniest of my FB/HS friends is posting a meme claiming the bombs were mailed BY Dems- nice plot, but I'd wait for some, ummm, evidence before sticking my neck out like that?
Do you think s/he really believes that? I think a lot of conservatives see public political discourse foremost as an ideological battlefield where they want to push narratives for advantage, and where truth and reality do not really play into it. Like, there are a few dopes who really thought Hillary was running a sex ring out of a pizza place in NW DC, but I think most of the people who pushed that stuff did not believe it and pushed it for other reasons (fun, profit, partisan gain).
Old 10-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #3734
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Do you think s/he really believes that? I think a lot of conservatives see public political discourse foremost as an ideological battlefield where they want to push narratives for advantage, and where truth and reality do not really play into it. Like, there are a few dopes who really thought Hillary was running a sex ring out of a pizza place in NW DC, but I think most of the people who pushed that stuff did not believe it and pushed it for other reasons (fun, profit, partisan gain).
getting to the bottom of that would require talking to them. if you want I'll connect you, but I'm not up for that particular convo. this was the same person posting in 2015 that President Obama was going to get congress to grant him a third term.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #3735
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
getting to the bottom of that would require talking to them. if you want I'll connect you, but I'm not up for that particular convo. this was the same person posting in 2015 that President Obama was going to get congress to grant him a third term.
I was at a family reunion in a very red state a number of years ago, and heard quite a few stories -- conspiracy theories, really -- about how Obama was going to take people's guns away and/or make firearms or ammunition more expensive. I didn't really want to pursue that line of talk with most of the cousins who were on that kick (which was many if not most of the men but none of the women, for whatever reason). But one cousin who has been decently successful in the corporate world and otherwise seems like a reasonable guy explained to me how Obama was going to pass a tax on ammunition that was going to make it much more expensive, and so I asked him how Obama was going to do that, since the Constitution reserves taxing power to the Congress, which at that time was controlled by Republicans. He stopped and thought about it for a few moments, and allowed that that was a good question that he hadn't thought of and that he would have to look into that. From all of which I conclude that these sorts of stories are shibboleths told for purposes of group bonding, not necessarily as part of a search for the truths of the matters asserted.
Closed Thread