LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Language

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 117
1 members and 116 guests
Tyrone Slothrop
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:20 AM   #61
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Timmifry

Recipe:

Take the timmies, let them stew in their own juices, keep them away from all other foodstuffs. When reduced to a pulp, throw them out. Now you are free of your timmies.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:37 AM   #62
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

A roomful of wannabe Safires

Quote:
Originally posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
HERE HERE!!

Good Post, but must the FB be truly timmifry?
Dude, are you aspiring to Timmy-hood? Or are you just a poseur? I say the latter, because otherwise you would know it should be "HEAR HEAR."

t(i)m(my)
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:01 PM   #63
somewhat anon

Inure

Quote:
Originally posted by Greedy, Greedy, Greedy
Quote:
All these lawyers and no one has noted that inure is a term of art...
The unfamiliarity with the term is the reason that we in this area of gov have no shortage of people to prosecute for private inurement.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #64
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdiva
Dude, are you aspiring to Timmy-hood? Or are you just a poseur? I say the latter, because otherwise you would know it should be "HEAR HEAR."

t(i)m(my)
Oh, this is a dangerous board to post on. :flag:

How about alternative three: I'm someone amused by the timmies. :wink:
Old 04-20-2003, 05:43 PM   #65
pretermitted_child
Underpants Gnomes!

Our Motto

At the bottom of this page, you will encounter the following site motto conjured up by our esteemed Mistress Eaze:

The place for greedy, and not so greedy associates, partners, legal professionals and law students to come and chat about, well, everything.

Once again, the humble serial comma has not been invited to the party.

-p(I hope I'm not the only one who finds the following book dedication as speaking to something quite remarkable: To my parents, Ayn Rand and God.)c
pretermitted_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 06:10 PM   #66
pretermitted_child
Underpants Gnomes!

Quote:
Oh, this is a dangerous board to post on.
Conveniently, there is no spell-check function, which makes this board prone to Timmy-infestations.

Quote:

:flag:
This smiley is labeled as "flag." For a while, I thought the strange white triangle bore a close resemblance to a folded dinner napkin that was being used as a bib of some kind, rather than a flag. However, the dinner-napkin-as-bib theory didn't seem to quite work as it would appear that the smiley was wearing it on its head. So unless it is stipulated that the smiley has spatial coordination problems, my latest theory is that the white triangle is actually a dunce cap.

Quote:
How about alternative three: I'm someone amused by the timmies. :wink:
Bring out the dancing timmies! *clap* *clap*

-pc
Old 04-21-2003, 02:22 AM   #67
pretermitted_child
Underpants Gnomes!

Our Motto

Quote:
Originally posted by leagleaze
And I hate you for dragging me into your Timmyesque world.
If you had a theme song, I suppose it would go something like this (sung to the tune of "Barbie Girl" by Aqua):

I'm a timmy girl, in a timmy world
They're bombastic, too scholastic!
They will stop and stare, spot errors everywhere
In punctuation, spelling, and citation
Come on timmy, let's go party!

Quote:
Originally posted by leagleaze
By the by, one does not tend to wave a duncecap on a stick. It is called flag because the smiley in question is waving the white flag of surrender.
I'm sorry, Mistress Eaze, but I am not convinced. First of all, I do not see the "stick" to which the "flag" is attached. Even if the existence of the "stick" were to be established somehow, I cannot see how the smiley would be waving the "flag" since it doesn't have any arms. A good example of a smiley having arms and holding a stick is :wtf: . Thus, the "dunce cap" smiley simply does not possess the essential flag-bearing features to "surrender."

-pc
Old 04-21-2003, 02:30 PM   #68
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Our Motto

Quote:
Originally posted by pretermitted_child

I'm sorry, Mistress Eaze, but I am not convinced. First of all, I do not see the "stick" to which the "flag" is attached. Even if the existence of the "stick" were to be established somehow, I cannot see how the smiley would be waving the "flag" since it doesn't have any arms. A good example of a smiley having arms and holding a stick is :wtf: . Thus, the "dunce cap" smiley simply does not possess the essential flag-bearing features to "surrender."

-pc
So you're a smilie timmy too? Good lord, they have no legs or bodies, as well as rubberized jaws, and the ability to ejaculate from their chins, why would you expect them to have arms?
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #69
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Our Motto

Quote:
Originally posted by pretermitted_child
The place for greedy, and not so greedy associates, partners, legal professionals and law students to come and chat about, well, everything.

Once again, the humble serial comma has not been invited to the party.
I'm much more concerned about the missing comma after the second "greedy" than the one that could theoretically go after "professionals."

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #70
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

"Juris Doctorate"

Is there such a thing as a "Juris Doctorate"? I thought that because the degree of "Juris Doctor" isn't a true doctoral degree, the use of "doctorate" was inappropriate, and is just a way to add syllables and therefore pretense. Is my memory playing tricks on me?
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:44 AM   #71
coup_d'skek

"Juris Doctorate"

Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a "Juris Doctorate"?Is my memory playing tricks on me?
Yes, the terminal degree is called an SJD or JSD (doctor of juridical science or doctor of the science of law).

Quote:
Is my memory playing tricks on me?
If you have a weakness, it's economics, not memory.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:07 AM   #72
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

"Juris Doctorate"

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
Is there such a thing as a "Juris Doctorate"? I thought that because the degree of "Juris Doctor" isn't a true doctoral degree, the use of "doctorate" was inappropriate, and is just a way to add syllables and therefore pretense. Is my memory playing tricks on me?
It's a malapropism. The degree is Juris Doctor. And it's not a doctoral degree. It's a bachelor degree that someone had the idea of fluffing up into a "doctorate" some years ago.

A family friend, when given the option by Harvard to convert his Ll.B. into a J.D., with a new diploma and everything, declined on principle. He tells me he's one of the few people still living who can legitimately claim to have an Ll.B. from Harvard. Not an interesting story, except for a timmy board, I guess.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:39 PM   #73
Allytigator

"Juris Doctorate"

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
It's a malapropism. The degree is Juris Doctor. And it's not a doctoral degree. It's a bachelor degree that someone had the idea of fluffing up into a "doctorate" some years ago.

A family friend, when given the option by Harvard to convert his Ll.B. into a J.D., with a new diploma and everything, declined on principle. He tells me he's one of the few people still living who can legitimately claim to have an Ll.B. from Harvard. Not an interesting story, except for a timmy board, I guess.

Yup, it's not a real doctorate, although my law school went as far as having us wear the purple hoods (properly reserved for doctoral candidates) with our gowns for the commencement ceremony.

It's kind of like size inflation in women's clothing: a silly thing done to appease people who should know better, but someone decided it was a good idea and got others to buy it.

"Dr." Allytigator - ha!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:50 PM   #74
pretermitted_child
Underpants Gnomes!

Why I disable Grammar Check

This is further proof that Microsoft hires semi-literate programmers whose treatment of the English language can, at best, be charitably characterized as "creative." Every year, Microsoft hires a boatload of geeks from my undergrad college, which unsurprisingly, does not offer English as a major.

-pc

(Ok, the image should appear now. Thanks, Leagl!)

Last edited by pretermitted_child; 04-23-2003 at 09:19 PM..
Old 04-23-2003, 07:36 PM   #75
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Why I disable Grammar Check

Here's that image:

[I removed the link to save some schlub's bandwidth]

Huh. I can't make it work.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is online now   Reply With Quote