LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > SF/SV

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 258
0 members and 258 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #1876
Spanky
For what it's worth

Re: Discussion of Firms and Life in SF/SV

Does anyone know of a lawyer that will take a malpractice case against another lawyer? I have a referral that is pretty much a slam dunk because the lawyer has already been disciplined by the bar.

Help?
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #1877
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Message sent to me by a friend on Facebook:
Quote:
Do you by chance have a recommendation of either a family or divorce lawyer here in the bay area?
He seems to just have a few questions regarding his girlfriend/fiance/wife (I'm not sure what their status is)'s ex who is "being a pain in the ass." No idea what that means. Last I heard, they were living in the East Bay, if that makes any difference.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #1878
Penske 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
He seems to just have a few questions regarding his girlfriend/fiance/wife (I'm not sure what their status is)'s ex who is "being a pain in the ass." No idea what that means. Last I heard, they were living in the East Bay, if that makes any difference.
I have someone good in Seattle, if they would like to move first.
Penske 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #1879
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
I would reply by PM if I had a name, but I don't. Instead I'll say what I always say in requests for a referral for family law -- it depends on the county. The bestest, most high-powered attorney in the world is useless in family court if he/she doesn't know the judge, and isn't known by the judge. I think it has something to do with the fact that there is almost no law in family law and it's all about equity (a.k.a the judge guessing which side is the shit head in any given controversy), and with so few data points it's natural for the judge to rely on the evidence of which side has the shit head lawyer. So the best family law practitioners are the ones who have been doing it 5+ years and are known for being impeccably honest even at the expense of their own clients' short term interests and have built a real reputation. Anyone else could be a shyster and you wouldn't even know it until it was too late.

I realize this is useless advice for someone who just wants a return phone call and legal advice.

BTW, everything I just said also animates my advice to people looking for a DUI defense. Best lawyer ain't shit; what you need is the guy who knows what the judge is giving out for first offenses by guys who ___________ (look like you).
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #1880
Penske 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
I would reply by PM if I had a name, but I don't. Instead I'll say what I always say in requests for a referral for family law -- it depends on the county. The bestest, most high-powered attorney in the world is useless in family court if he/she doesn't know the judge, and isn't known by the judge. I think it has something to do with the fact that there is almost no law in family law and it's all about equity (a.k.a the judge guessing which side is the shit head in any given controversy), and with so few data points it's natural for the judge to rely on the evidence of which side has the shit head lawyer. So the best family law practitioners are the ones who have been doing it 5+ years and are known for being impeccably honest even at the expense of their own clients' short term interests and have built a real reputation. Anyone else could be a shyster and you wouldn't even know it until it was too late.

I realize this is useless advice for someone who just wants a return phone call and legal advice.

BTW, everything I just said also animates my advice to people looking for a DUI defense. Best lawyer ain't shit; what you need is the guy who knows what the judge is giving out for first offenses by guys who ___________ (look like you).
Yes, exactly. I know someone in King County, WA, if the couple at issue wants to move here before breaking up.
Penske 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #1881
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #1882
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Terribly sad -- one of the ambushed Marines was the son of a local judge and justice of the Court of Appeal.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #1883
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

I heart Berkeley.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #1884
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

I heart SF:

Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #1885
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Hypothetically, how would ya'll sell someone on the Peninsula.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #1886
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Its social capital is so high and political systems so functional that most policy disputes boil down to mitigating the blowback consequences of affluence?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #1887
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
Its social capital is so high and political systems so functional that most policy disputes boil down to mitigating the blowback consequences of affluence?
my little suburb (which meets that def) had just passed a human rights law by a 70% vote. it extended non-discrimination that is found in the state's law from gender/religion/race/nationality to sexual orientation.

then some overweight commissioners tried to pass a law that anyone running had to wear a reflective vest. a committee was charged with a draft ordinance, and the committee head came to the town meeting to read his ordinance. he opined that many runners and walkers were quite rude and he often had to wait for a few seconds in his car until it was okay to pass some in the street- he said "these people think they own the roads..."

we were like the last legal "these people..." in our city.

ps fuck the bikes, they're worse than cars.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #1888
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
my little suburb (which meets that def) had just passed a human rights law by a 70% vote. it extended non-discrimination that is found in the state's law from gender/religion/race/nationality to sexual orientation.

then some overweight commissioners tried to pass a law that anyone running had to wear a reflective vest. a committee was charged with a draft ordinance, and the committee head came to the town meeting to read his ordinance. he opined that many runners and walkers were quite rude and he often had to wait for a few seconds in his car until it was okay to pass some in the street- he said "these people think they own the roads..."

we were like the last legal "these people..." in our city.

ps fuck the bikes, they're worse than cars.

A friend of mine on a bike was killed by a car last wee. The bikes are not worse than the cars.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #1889
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
A friend of mine on a bike was killed by a car last wee. The bikes are not worse than the cars.
A friend of mine was running in Central Park and hit by an out of control bike. He was in the hospital for weeks. I suppose it's all perspective.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #1890
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
Depends on the person and their interests, but I'd take an outdoor person to Mavericks and maybe the Sawyer Camp trail along the reservoir on a nice day; I'd take a food person to a bunch of ethnic dives; I'd take a parent to various parks and review school and STAR scores (yeah yeah Atticus don't start with me); and under no circumstances would I ever discuss or show housing prices unless they were coming from Manhattan, Westport, Paris, London or Hong Kong, in which case I would pitch them on how cheap it is here and we have better weather.