LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > DC

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 462
0 members and 462 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:34 PM   #61
paigowprincess

Pool clubs

Quote:
Originally posted by carp
Try the Washington Hilton. It has a nice olympic sized pool and a wading pool though the former gets a bit crowded with guests. I think there is also a package that includes the tennis club.
Ah! Thanks! I am trying to remember if the Wash Hilton is the one my gay friend mentioned.

And I am not joining a pool club to meet a man, But everything is more fun when there are straight men around. Assuming they look good intheir trunks (read, not pasty flabby cyberstalker lawyer typoes with fifty monikers)
Old 05-13-2003, 03:29 PM   #62
SurferB
No Rank For You!

Quote:
Originally posted by tballstinks
Take it!! Not even a question.

It's much easier to get a new job if you currently have a job. I'm in a similar situation. I was a corp./securities associate and have been out for over a year.

How did you get an offer for a different practice area? Was it a personal connection?
Yea, I got the job through a personal connection. But I only had a couple of years of experience anyway in my other field. That's what stinks about BIGLAW - they put me in a practice area I didn't want to be in when I graduated and I hated it. Moved to a different practice area but then that industry slowed down. It's not like it's that hard to learn a new practice area anyway but it seems difficult to lateral over into a new area especially in this economy.
SurferB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:31 PM   #63
SurferB
No Rank For You!

New Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by On n'a qu'une vie
Accept the job. Use it as a springboard to a better position (which does not necessarily mean think of the job as a paycheck and a free place to print your resume). And try to budget your finances.
So new problem that I thought of. What if I accept the offer..and they want an answer quick..and in the meantime, I've received two phone calls from big firms wanting to set up an interview with me. Salary at a big firm would be more than twice what this job is paying but I would feel so bad accepting this offer and then leaving in two months.

I'm too damn ethical to be a lawyer!
SurferB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:57 PM   #64
WHTFH

New Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by SurferB
So new problem that I thought of. What if I accept the offer..and they want an answer quick..and in the meantime, I've received two phone calls from big firms wanting to set up an interview with me. Salary at a big firm would be more than twice what this job is paying but I would feel so bad accepting this offer and then leaving in two months.

I'm too damn ethical to be a lawyer!
You'll be an at-will employee. You have no ethical obligation to stay with the new firm. They could fire you after two months, so don't feel bad for leaving for greener pastures in the same amount of time.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:07 PM   #65
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

New Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by WHTFH
You'll be an at-will employee. You have no ethical obligation to stay with the new firm. They could fire you after two months, so don't feel bad for leaving for greener pastures in the same amount of time.
I'd generally agree, but if em used a personal connection of any value, that might not be the best route. Stall them as much as you can while you do the other interviews. See if there's a way not to start immediately. If biglaw comes through, you can decline acceptance. At least that way, you don't cause them to go to the expense of having you start and you don't appear to be a quitter. It's simply that a better offer came along.

Are they holding a position for you, while another person twists in the wind?

Of course, if your personall connection is irrelevant, do as Heisman suggests.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:42 PM   #66
tballstinks
No Rank For You!

Quote:
Originally posted by SurferB
Yea, I got the job through a personal connection. But I only had a couple of years of experience anyway in my other field. That's what stinks about BIGLAW - they put me in a practice area I didn't want to be in when I graduated and I hated it. Moved to a different practice area but then that industry slowed down. It's not like it's that hard to learn a new practice area anyway but it seems difficult to lateral over into a new area especially in this economy.
That's basically why I asked you about the personal connection. I'm having the same problem. I was a securities lawyer for one year, then switched firms and did M&A for two years. Now corp/securities is dead, and I can't get an interview for a different practice area.

Like you said, it's not that hard to learn a new practice area. I mean, I learned securities law at 3 a.m. while at Bowne. I'm pretty sure I can refresh on how to put together a pleading, etc.
tballstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:46 PM   #67
blueballs
Moving on up

Pool clubs

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
Assuming they look good intheir trunks (read, not pasty flabby cyberstalker lawyer typoes with fifty monikers)
Still not over your infatuation with JRUSS, huh? Keep dreamin' hon.
blueballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:20 AM   #68
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Kellogg, Huber

In light of recent queries about Kellogg, Huber . . .

Less Is More
Legal Times
05-12-2003

D.C.'s Kellogg, Huber, Hansen, Todd & Evans — which has traditionally focused on telecom antitrust and white collar crime — is a small firm that attracts big firm clients and associates. The first in an occasional series on successful boutique firms

rest of article (free registration required)
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:43 PM   #69
paigowprincess

Complementary, Holistic and Alternative medicine for pets

My pet was really mistreated at one of the local vets here in the district and I am considering gonig the complementary/holistic route for my next vet. Anyone have any recs?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:30 PM   #70
Lexus Talionis

Quote:
I am considering gonig the complementary/holistic route for my next vet. Anyone have any recs?
My sister is a vet (nowhere nearby, unfortunately). Last time I visited her clinic, they had signs up advertising "alternative therapies" available in town - magnets, massage, some sort of "vibe therapy" that involved passing your hands over (but not touching) the animal. When I asked about it, her response was "Yeah, rich people will buy anything." Apparently the "practitioners" were friends of her boss or something.

My advice is to just find another vet. There are plenty in the area, so there's no need to go with a hack. Look for someone who went to Tufts or Cornell - they're the Ivies of the vet world.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:52 PM   #71
paigowprincess

Quote:
Originally posted by Lexus Talionis
My sister is a vet (nowhere nearby, unfortunately). Last time I visited her clinic, they had signs up advertising "alternative therapies" available in town - magnets, massage, some sort of "vibe therapy" that involved passing your hands over (but not touching) the animal. When I asked about it, her response was "Yeah, rich people will buy anything." Apparently the "practitioners" were friends of her boss or something.

My advice is to just find another vet. There are plenty in the area, so there's no need to go with a hack. Look for someone who went to Tufts or Cornell - they're the Ivies of the vet world.
Thanks for the advice. Actually I am interested in "complementary medicine" which is a combinatino of traditional western vet medicine and a more homeopathic approach. For example, I have done some research that indicates that it is potentially unhealthy to vacinate pets once a year, as it stresses the immune system and some of the vacinnes last for several years. But many and most vets just do the annual vaccinatino cuase its a business after all. I want a more centered and mindful approach to vet medicine which takes into account all the western options but also alternative therapies. See Animal Wellness magazine for an idea of what I speak of. I am not at this point looking for a kitty chiropractor or doggie acupunturist.

And I dont know about that vibe thing you spoke of, but I knew an osteopath (for humans) and your description sounds similar to what he does- and this is apparently a legit form of medical practice.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #72
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Actually I am interested in "complementary medicine" which is a combinatino of traditional western vet medicine and a more homeopathic approach. For example, I have done some research that indicates that it is potentially unhealthy to vacinate pets once a year, as it stresses the immune system and some of the vacinnes last for several years. But many and most vets just do the annual vaccinatino cuase its a business after all. I want a more centered and mindful approach to vet medicine which takes into account all the western options but also alternative therapies. See Animal Wellness magazine for an idea of what I speak of. I am not at this point looking for a kitty chiropractor or doggie acupunturist.
The Elk-puppy only gets the vacinations that are required by law. For the others we do annual testing. Her diet is all natural, can't bring myself to do BARF (Bones And Raw Food) though she does get lots of human grade snacks.

Check out the following sites for info on a vet in your area:
http://www.theavh.org/members/AVH_list1.htm and www.altvedmed.com. There are lots of books on the subject. I recommend Martin Goldstein's The Nature of Animal Healing.

I've known several people who have used holistic vets and the BARF diet with great success. One friend's dog had parvo as a puppy and couldn't make it through the day/night without an accident. After a few months on a holistic remedy, she was fine. The remedy helped to rebuild her stomach lining.

My trainer's dog was diagnosed with a tumor and given a few days to live. That was over 3 years ago. He (the dog) is alive and well today. The trainer swears it is the diet.

You are what you eat is true even for critters.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:18 PM   #73
paigowprincess

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Elk
The Elk-puppy only gets the vacinations that are required by law. For the others we do annual testing. Her diet is all natural, can't bring myself to do BARF (Bones And Raw Food) though she does get lots of human grade snacks.

Check out the following sites for info on a vet in your area:
http://www.theavh.org/members/AVH_list1.htm and www.altvedmed.com. There are lots of books on the subject. I recommend Martin Goldstein's The Nature of Animal Healing.

I've known several people who have used holistic vets and the BARF diet with great success. One friend's dog had parvo as a puppy and couldn't make it through the day/night without an accident. After a few months on a holistic remedy, she was fine. The remedy helped to rebuild her stomach lining.

My trainer's dog was diagnosed with a tumor and given a few days to live. That was over 3 years ago. He (the dog) is alive and well today. The trainer swears it is the diet.

You are what you eat is true even for critters.
Thanks Ann, are you from here? I checked out one of those sites and it linked to the AHVMA or whatever the acronym is and it told me tere are no practicing holistic vets in DC(!). Perhaps like the decent burrito, they will come. Almost makes me want to get a vet degree and start a business bc man that is a lacking area.

I looked into the barf thing and learned that scary things like lungs and livers and kidneys and brains were in there bc thats where all the nutrition is. Given that I am a veggie, I cant do that. But the paigettes eat homemade food with freerange meats and organic veggies. I wandered inot Safeway the other day and walked by the pet aisle and all they have is that purina processed crap that contains carcinogenic preservatives (its an acronym I foget th name of). Given all the filler and preservatives and toxins, it just looked like dog and cat poision more than food. I dont know how people can feed their pets that crap. I guess its called ignorance. Would you give a child a diet of strictly junk food? I guess many americans do.

Anway, I totally believe in the holistic approach with the western medicine to complelment it. One pet had a serious gastrointestinal problem and I gave him acidiphilopluswhatever yogurt and its gone. Regular vet would have recommended expensive drops. TOtal bullshit.

Hopefully somebody knows a good holistic vet that is a secret. but I am notoptimistic.

thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #74
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Quote:
Thanks Ann, are you from here? I checked out one of those sites and it linked to the AHVMA or whatever the acronym is and it told me tere are no practicing holistic vets in DC(!). Perhaps like the decent burrito, they will come. Almost makes me want to get a vet degree and start a business bc man that is a lacking area.

I looked into the barf thing and learned that scary things like lungs and livers and kidneys and brains were in there bc thats where all the nutrition is. Given that I am a veggie, I cant do that. But the paigettes eat homemade food with freerange meats and organic veggies. I wandered inot Safeway the other day and walked by the pet aisle and all they have is that purina processed crap that contains carcinogenic preservatives (its an acronym I foget th name of). Given all the filler and preservatives and toxins, it just looked like dog and cat poision more than food. I dont know how people can feed their pets that crap. I guess its called ignorance. Would you give a child a diet of strictly junk food? I guess many americans do.

Anway, I totally believe in the holistic approach with the western medicine to complelment it. One pet had a serious gastrointestinal problem and I gave him acidiphilopluswhatever yogurt and its gone. Regular vet would have recommended expensive drops. TOtal bullshit.

Hopefully somebody knows a good holistic vet that is a secret. but I am notoptimistic.

thanks for the info.
Nope, I'm from Beantown (I surf a lot). I picked up most of my info from my trainer who was into all this stuff. The easiest kibble to get is California Natural which is available at Petco. Others you can get mail order. Try the smaller more boutiquey pet stores, they usually carry the organic stuff. I'd also recommend subscribing to the Whole Dog Journal (www.wholedogjournal.com). Comes out monthly and they have lots of info and articles. It's a Consumer Reports for pets, so they rank food, toys, beds, leashes, etc.

I thought there were a couple listed in MD, but have no idea how close they would be to DC.

Elk-puppy LOVES yogurt. She gets that a couple times a week. I try to give her the soy based stuff, but sometimes it's hard to get to teh health food coop. Also dried apricots, raw pumpkin, broccoli stalks and nice dirty carrots from the organic coop. I can't go hard-core BARF either, I don't eat organs so neither will Elk-puppy. She's pretty much a veggie, since I rarely eat meat.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:23 PM   #75
Lexus Talionis

Organic voodoo for pets

You might try asking the people at the Bradley Hills Animal Hospital (www.ferretdoctor.com). The guy is a vet, but he's pretty full-service, so he might be able to recommend somebody to you. (The guy's got everything - for example, he's one of the 2% of vets equipped to perform laser surgery rather than the traditional scalpel & stitch method. He also has separate waiting rooms for cats and dogs so that they don't stress each other while they wait.)

It seems to me that there's never anything in DC, but there's almost always what you're looking for somewhere around DC if you look hard enough.

By the way, if you decide to change the vaccination regime, make sure to check DC law first. The place is run by liberals, so I'm sure there are a few dozen regulations about mandatory vaccinations.

Lexis (pet refuses anything but kibble) T.