LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Technology

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 363
0 members and 363 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-28-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
Deals_R_Us

USB pen drive review

I am partial to my USB pen drive. Basically, USB pen drives are relatively cheap (mine cost about $25) large (I got a 64mb, but they come in sizes up to a gig - if you are willing to pay) hard to destroy (at one person claims that his survived a trip in a washing machine with his data intact) fast (I find about 10X faster) alternatives to a floppy.

You basically stick the drive (the size and shape of a small highlight pen) into your computer's USB drive (I also bought a few USB A/M-A/F extension cords, but some USB pen drives come with a short one), and it is automatically recognized (takes, at most, about 3 seconds). If you have any system above Windows 98SE, no software is needed.

I went with one branded by Targus (diskonkey.com seems to make the same device for Compaq and Fujifilm) and bought it from Ecost.com (http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=371963). I also got bunch of extra extension cords (http://www.accessmicro.com/productin...&rnd=735702448). Basically the cheapest I could go for what looked like good quality.

Good:
-fast
-hard to break
-large
-idiot proof
-lets you copy and paste a whole bunch of files in one shot
-my model works fine with Windows 98SE AND Windows 98 (and probably even NT - with software)
-my model has its own on-board processor

Bad
-not supposed to work with Windows 95
-my model did not come with extension cord
-included password data protection software did not work well with Windows 98 (so I deleted the file)
-my model does not have write-protection switch
-does not seem to work with Windows 98 when you use an unpowered USB hub
-to properly "close out" and remove the drive (not needed on Windows 98), you have to first close the files you were using on the USB and then select any file or directory not on the USB and/or close the program you were just using (just like not ejecting a floppy when you have an open file or the computer thinks it is still working with the floppy)
Old 03-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #2
Alex_de_Large
halfsharkalligatorhalfmod

Leagal, didn't you have one of these too?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: Other Gadgets (besides computers)

Quote:
Does anybody have any experience with Dish Network's Tivo-equivalent, Dish PVR? I like the lack of a monthly service fee, and Dish looks like a pretty good option. For about $120, including shipping, I can get an installed 2-room system with one PVR tuner and one regular tuner.
That's a great price. But I've never heard anyone rave about the Dish PVR. In fact, I've heard that the interface is so poor it's nothing but a glorified digital VCR. Still, even if you hate it, it's dirt cheap, and you can always get a standalone Tivo to plug your plain-vanilla Dish receiver into --- though that's nowhere near as elegant as the DirecTV/Tivo combos.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
Beef Clerky

Xbox or PlayStation 2

Xbox or PS2 -- Which is better?

Beef(yes, I know I'm immature)Clerky
Old 03-29-2003, 10:23 PM   #5
pretermitted_child
Underpants Gnomes!

Re: Xbox or PlayStation 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Beef Clerky

PS2 ... because you want to be able to play Dance Dance Resurrection [spree: gaudy graphics; pokes fun at Jesus Christ]

-pc
pretermitted_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:47 PM   #6
Flinty_McFlint

Re: Xbox or PlayStation 2

Quote:

First of all, awesome avatar--one of the classics. Second--what type of games do you like, FPS, sports, platform, puzzle, driving, RPS, is multiplayer important? Xbox seems to have better sound and graphics, but not as many compelling games as PS2 which has tons and tons of developers developing games for it. In any event, I'd wait a little and wait for the price to drop--rumors are that the consoles (Xbox and PS2) will drop another $50 or so this fall, so maybe you might want to wait.

Actually, I play a lot more on the PC than I do consoles these days--Counterstrike still kicks ass, though I don't.

Any other CS'rs out there? Wanna play?

Flinty
Flinty_McFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:20 PM   #7
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

usb key

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_de_Large
Leagal, didn't you have one of these too?
Yeah, I use it all the time. Very useful for when I need to move a powerpoint presentation, short video clip or song from one computer to another.
leagleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Beef Clerky

Re: Re: Xbox or PlayStation 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
First of all, awesome avatar--one of the classics. Second--what type of games do you like, FPS, sports, platform, puzzle, driving, RPS, is multiplayer important?

Flinty
First, thanks re the avatar; a picture at once spectacularly funny and devastatingly sad. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it easier to see while staying within the avatar res. limits.

As for xbox v. PS2, I am leaning toward PS2 simply because it has more games regardless of my interests. The only thing that gives me pause is that xbox seems to have so much going for it in terms of technology. But it seems that the technology has yet to be fully exploited and who knows if it ever will. Really, the only logical answer is to get both, although Mrs. Clerky likely would become irate.

Beef
Old 04-01-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
Flinty_McFlint

Re: Re: Re: Xbox or PlayStation 2

Quote:
First, thanks re the avatar; a picture at once spectacularly funny and devastatingly sad. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it easier to see while staying within the avatar res. limits.

As for xbox v. PS2, I am leaning toward PS2 simply because it has more games regardless of my interests. The only thing that gives me pause is that xbox seems to have so much going for it in terms of technology. But it seems that the technology has yet to be fully exploited and who knows if it ever will. Really, the only logical answer is to get both, although Mrs. Clerky likely would become irate.

Beef

Don't forget, PS3 and Xbox 2 are just around the corner, and prices will drop....you might check ebay for the PS2 (and with your savings, get more games and accessories, perhaps save enough for a used Xbox too!). Good luck and happy gaming!

Flinty
Old 04-01-2003, 10:13 PM   #10
Beef Clerky

Quote:
Don't forget, PS3 and Xbox 2 are just around the corner, and prices will drop....you might check ebay for the PS2 (and with your savings, get more games and accessories, perhaps save enough for a used Xbox too!). Good luck and happy gaming!

Flinty
How far away are PS3 and Xbox2?
Old 04-01-2003, 11:30 PM   #11
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
How far away are PS3 and Xbox2?
Well, in this case, around the corner is 2005 or 2006, which isn't soon enough for you. They won't really talk about the new console release dates for fear of eating into their current sales of PS2 and Xbox. I do think the console prices will fall again this xmas season, if you can wait that long. Then again, it's only about $50, which the price of a game these days. There still might be some good deals on Ebay, in which case you might get the system, controllers, memory cards and games bundled nicely for a good price.

Flinty
Old 04-02-2003, 01:47 AM   #12
Beef Clerky

Quote:
Well, in this case, around the corner is 2005 or 2006, which isn't soon enough for you.

Flinty
Thanks, Flinty, you've been a big help. Do you know if the xbox has TiVo-type capabilities, or if it can be "hacked" to do so?
Old 04-02-2003, 03:09 AM   #13
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
Thanks, Flinty, you've been a big help. Do you know if the xbox has TiVo-type capabilities, or if it can be "hacked" to do so?
I haven't heard anything about any mods or hacks to convert an Xbox to a PVR-Tivo device--although it is rumored that the Xbox2 will have such "all-in-one" features, as Bill and M$oft continue their foray into consumers' homes. I think the recent hacks have mostly been mod chips and further attempts to run Linux on the system.

Here are some links about Xbox hacks/modifications:

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-937124.html

http://www.xboxhackz.com/

http://www.xenatera.com/bunnie/proj/anatak/xboxmod.html

http://www.pcgameworld.com/story.php/id/183/

Personally, I think you're just better off building a gaming pc than going through that much trouble.

Happy gaming...

Flinty
Old 04-02-2003, 10:40 AM   #14
law2day

iPod

On a different topic -- I am thinking of getting an iPod (as a longtime Mac user, it is about time)

I plan to set the iPod up to work in the office -- Anyone have recommendations or experience with the different speaker options out there. I know there is a Sony wireless set, though I am worried about interference. The JBL speakers look pretty cool.

I know all the rumors that now is not a good time to buy an iPod since an upgrade is "around the corner" -- but without hard evidence on that, I could be waiting a long time.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
John_Galt, Esquire

IPOD

I have the IPOD, and I have a splitter between the speakers for my computer and for the ipod. When I come in the morning, I plug my IPOD into one end, and I can listen, and at the same time, get the notification of new email and such.

There is some convincing proof that a new IPOD is coming out soon. Most if not all stores have depleted their stock of the 5 GB IPODs. There might be something at the July Macword convention.