LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 451
0 members and 451 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Not Bob

I've got another clue for you all - the walrus was Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
This rhubarb over who is the more important dead musician of our lifetime (read adolescence) packs all the passion and pathos of the "who is the greatest Beatle" wars of the 60s and 70s.
Fair enough - I wasn't as clear as I meant to be. I wasn't trying to suggest that Prince was more "important" (choose your own meaning) than Bowie. I was just saying that he hit the musical scene when I was becoming musically aware, and so discovering him had more of an impact on me personally than Bowie's music did.

That's not because Bowie's music wasn't groundbreaking - it's just that it was part of the radio landscape for me ever since I can remember. We just don't think of stuff we've always heard as radical. We can at some point appreciate how transgressive an artist or song was (for example, when I was 17 or so, I heard a slow acoustic version of "Lola" and only then said to myself something along the lines of "holy shit, Ray and/or Dave Davies wrote a hit song about a cross-dresser before Lou Reed and those VU posers did!") but it's not quite the same as when you first hear it.

And it doesn't even have to be when the artist/song is new. I still remember being wowed the first time I heard Dave Brubeck at my part time restaurant job.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote