LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 390
0 members and 390 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #916
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
The HOV policy was originally designed to promote carpooling. It was then expanded to included low-emission vehicles to promote their adoption. But adoption of LEV/ZEV doesn't really need independent encouragement at this point.
While adoption of the technology in general may not need promotion, the stickers are given to encourage the sale of individual makes of L/Z-EV vehicles, and it seems reasonable that you'd want to encourage robust competition in that space by making sure that additional manufacturers enter.

Or not. I just want my sticker.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #917
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
While adoption of the technology in general may not need promotion, the stickers are given to encourage the sale of individual makes of L/Z-EV vehicles, and it seems reasonable that you'd want to encourage robust competition in that space by making sure that additional manufacturers enter.

This is why I didn't do well in antitrust. The best vehicle gains sales but then has its edge tempered because buyers no longer get one major benefit? That is nuts, and it bites into the technology developing.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #918
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
But adoption of LEV/ZEV doesn't really need independent encouragement at this point.
Why not?
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #919
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This is why I didn't do well in antitrust. The best vehicle gains sales but then has its edge tempered because buyers no longer get one major benefit? That is nuts, and it bites into the technology developing.
It does not sound like sound competition policy to me.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #920
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
It does not sound like sound competition policy to me.
This place has become an echo chamber, what with Adder and Hank and I just agreeing on everything.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #921
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I just test drove an e-Golf, and that's what I'm going to get. I like the i3 more, but they are selling 2015 Golfs for $30K, and you get $10K back in taxes. The BMW is twice the price.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #922
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Why not?
Because they clog up HOV lanes.

Because studies have shown that drivers of hybrids drive even more than non-hybrids.

Because it's a poor way to target promotion of fuel efficient vehicles.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #923
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:

Wait, so because some manufacturers get rents from being HOV okay others should also get those rents?

wouldn't the better policy be to eliminate that special benefit for everyone and let them compete based on the merits of their gas mileage, not a special handout to those who need to take 101 to work? Why don't we care about the guy who drives to work from half moon bay but not on HOV roads so doesn't have an incentive for saving the environment?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #924
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Yes. The terrorists win again. Sigh.

I was hoping the judge would sentence him and Belicheat to life in Pelican Bay.
Why not just convince IK Emenkpali to sign with the Pats?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #925
Icky Thump

Quote:
I just test drove an e-Golf, and that's what I'm going to get. I like the i3 more, but they are selling 2015 Golfs for $30K, and you get $10K back in taxes. The BMW is twice the price.
NFN but 115 HP and single speed transmission? I'd rather drive a real car and sit in traffic.

I'd be wary of buying any VW. One I had fell apart 12 miles after the warranty expired.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 09-03-2015 at 06:53 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #926
Icky Thump

Quote:
I'd rather see the Iron Sheik sign with the pats.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #927
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Wait, so because some manufacturers get rents from being HOV okay others should also get those rents?

wouldn't the better policy be to eliminate that special benefit for everyone and let them compete based on the merits of their gas mileage, not a special handout to those who need to take 101 to work? Why don't we care about the guy who drives to work from half moon bay but not on HOV roads so doesn't have an incentive for saving the environment?
I live in a place where zoning decisions made decades ago have complicated fucked any prospect of good transportation policy. (Notwithstanding, I had managed to arrange my life to have a short, non-freeway commute, until a jackass financier came along and re-arranged things.)

My point was that if you are trying to create incentives to get car makers to build these cars, it makes some sense to give the stickers to the first x such cars from a given manufacturer, rather than the first y such cars. That spurs product choice and development, rather than a huge first-mover advantage.

There are lots of other things one could do that would create better incentives still. Raise gas taxes and use them to fund other transit. Re-zone to encourage development around transit. Fund transit that works. But, drivers vote.

The car salesman was predicting that electric cars will continue to sell. I doubt it -- I'm overcoming the range limitations for the HOV sticker, but if that wasn't the sweetener, I'd be buying something else.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #928
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
NFN but 115 HP and single speed transmission? I'd rather drive a real car and sit in traffic.
I thought about it, but then I sat in traffic for a few days. Pass.

Quote:
I'd be wary of buying any VW. One I had fell apart 12 miles after the warranty expired.
We had one for 12 years. It was awesome.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #929
Not Bob

Quote:
I dislike the Patriots* and think that they probably did try to game the system re the required air pressure, but Jesus H. Christ, this case and the Ray Rice saga show that Roger Goodell runs some kind of a kangaroo court where due process is subservient to The Shield's interest in (a) making sure that Roger doesn't look bad, and (b) leaking misleading info to The Shield's press toadies designed solely to make other people look bad if Roger is in danger of looking bad.

*I have mixed feelings about Tom Brady. Sometimes I think of him as a nice guy who worked hard to be ready for a shot when his time came and made the most of it when Bledsoe went down. And he continues to work hard physically and mentally to stay on top of his game. And sometimes I think he is a huge tool. Plus I am a Giants' fan.

The Patriots and their fans, though, became insufferable after they won their second championship. Much like their baseball counterparts the Red Sox.

Last edited by Not Bob; 09-03-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #930
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I have mixed feelings about Tom Brady. Sometimes I think of him as a nice guy who worked hard to be ready for a shot when his time came and made the most of it when Bledsoe went down. And he continues to work hard physically and mentally to stay on top of his game. And sometimes I think he is a huge tool.
Why not All Of The Above?