LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Chicago

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 102
0 members and 102 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Peter Francis Geraci arrested

Local TV-ad star and bankruptcy lawyer Peter Francis Geraci was arrested for assault today according to the Trib. Apparently he got into a scuffle with three other residents of his apartment building...
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Buddy Myers anyone?

So they find a kid on a traffic stop on the north side and the driver can't name a single relative of the child. They think the kid was kidnapped from North Carolina after he disappeared with his 2 dogs 2 years ago.

The kid would be 7, but they want to wait for DNA tests before they give him back.

Is it just me, or shouldn't 7 year old Chicagoans remember that they lived with another family in North Carolina until 2 years ago?

I hate to cry foul, but this smells fishy in ways that go beyond the arrested driver.

Just a vent for a day.

Hello

Say_hello_for_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Re: Buddy Myers

Based on what I've heard, it sure sounds like this is the kid from SC... similar scars and a speech impediment. Not surprised a kid of that age wouldn't remember something like that, look at the condition Elizabeth Smart was in when they found her, and she was much older.

What troubles me is it doesn't look like the kid has much to look forward to no matter how this turns out... Saw his mother and family on local news -- mother was 15 when she had him and gave up custody, now claims she is trying to turn her life around as an exotic dancer. Rest of family has similar issues. Obviously, if the DNA matches he should go back, but he's got a rough road.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:05 PM   #4
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand
Based on what I've heard, it sure sounds like this is the missing kid from SC...
Surprise, surprise!! It's NOT him! Apparently the father's far-fetched story about the kid's mother being a prostitute he had a one-night-stand with years ago checks out... What are the odds?

And as I said before, what are the prospects for this kid?? Not very good...
Old 05-04-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Quote:
Surprise, surprise!! It's NOT him! Apparently the father's far-fetched story about the kid's mother being a prostitute he had a one-night-stand with years ago checks out... What are the odds?

And as I said before, what are the prospects for this kid?? Not very good...
Heh heh,

>>Is it just me, or shouldn't 7 year old Chicagoans remember that they lived with another family in North Carolina until 2 years ago?<<

You heard it here first. However, this is almost certainly a story where I'd rather not hear the ending.

Coming up next, the true story of Peter Francis Geraci's troubles.

Or not.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:54 PM   #6
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Chicago Happenings

Quote:
Generally, on the (current) Daley administration:

How do people think it will end? Death, retirement just prior to son's election, indictment, loss in an election?

I haven't lived in Chicago long enough to have a really good idea of the buzz, but all this high-level corruption and influence peddling (the towing thing, the bus shelter thing, the machine in general) seems a lot less endearing when you see it close up. What did he get in the last election, 80%?

Just interested in thoughts on this; I know many who will complain about him but would never vote against him.

My bet is that it will take two things to get him out of office. First, a credible opponent. Second, a series of political issues that expose him for what he is. The quote from Thomas Needham (lawyer) a few years ago would be an awesome quote to use in any political campaign by a credible candidate. Specifically, and I'm paraphrasing, "we police the city at the level the citizenry will tolerate". As in (conversely), we have the high homicide rate because our citizens will tolerate it.

Anywhere else, the quote would have been a wet dream for a political opponent.

His sons are probably non-starters. The Mt. Carmel summer home incident 8 or 10 years ago has one marked as a baseball bat (or was it a shotgun?) wielding thug.

Indictment is probably not going to happen either, though there is plenty to indict many, many of his top hand-picked administrators and circle of friend.

Death? A close second. Its not like there are more than 5 or 6 paramedics in the city that would perform CPR on him if he has an (another?) heart attack. A few years ago, before the city got the 10 extra BLS ambulances, the fire department sent the "closest" ambulance to his home on Prairie (or is it Indiana) in response to a call for him. The closest available ambulance was more than 10 miles away, from somewhere near Ford City. That was during the period he was continually refusing to buy more ambulances, while refusing to reduce the non-emergency runs that paramedics went out on. After the incident he reversed his position quickly. The 10 BLS ambulances were arranged a few weeks after it took him 15 minutes to get one of the ALS ambulances that he had continually insisted were adequate for the city.

But death isn't the top choice. At some point, we will get another Harold Washington or someone else who can credibly challenge the Daley record. What continually amazes me is that it hasn't happened yet.

Hello

Old 05-08-2003, 12:06 PM   #7
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Da Mare

My take on Da Mare's job security --

He could be caught on tape in a crack den in an inflatable pool filled with mayonnaise and cash stolen from the city treasury wrestling with and engaged in various sexual acts with Saddam Hussein and various assorted barnyard animals...

If this were to happen, he might squeak by the next election with 60%....
Old 05-20-2003, 10:50 PM   #8
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Random accolades (Cook County Treasurer)

So I had a suspicion that my second installment '02 taxes were not paid by my mortgagor when only one payment was shown on paper at income tax time. The suspicion grew stronger when the mortgagor, Wells Fargo, mailed me a check a week ago for approximately the value of a tax payment.

Well, if you want to find out whether your taxes are paid, all you need to do is email the cook county treasurer's customer service address with your PIN number and question.

It took them 1 business day to tell me that my taxes were sold at auction on April 1, 2003. While my old mortgagor (Draper & Kramer) and my new mortgagor (Wells Fargo) get thumbs down for flubbing this in the first place, the Cook County Treasurer's Office (Maria Pappas) gets the highest marks for responsiveness to my inquiry. They gave me three different ways to contact the organization which I would deal with the redeem the taxes (though that will be done by the mortgagor). Since we are 10 or 100 times more likely to note something publicly when we are angry, I figured it would be nice to just once say that someone is doing a pretty good job.

Hello

Old 05-23-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Calling all Windy City posters...

As the newly-appointed (by default??) Windy City Moderator, I would like to welcome everyone again to the Chicago Board of Lawtalkers and encourage you to feel free to post happenings in and around the Chicago area. This is Chicago, not Death Valley, so let's see some activity here!!

Anyone who knows my fictitious self here knows I am generally a very easy-going and laid back person, so I will be generally taking a laissez-faire approach to things here. Feel free to message me with questions or problems and I'll try to help as best I can. I'm learning too, you know.

That said, spammers or the like will be dealt with and ridiculed worse than a Glenbrook North Junior... :trout:

Happy Memorial Day.

Mr. Hand
Old 05-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Looks like Coltrane's gonna have to move...

or at least change his location to "Northerly Island"...

In a big shocker, a Cook County judge today threw out the lawsuit attempting to stop the demolition of Meigs Field., saying the land was always intended to be a park. Opponents say they will now seek a TRO in federal court to stop Daley's bulldozers.

In other news, those same bulldozers accidentally plowed into each of the Plaintiffs' homes today while they were in court. Twice.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:22 PM   #11
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Quote:

In a big shocker, a Cook County judge today threw out the lawsuit attempting to stop the demolition of Meigs Field., saying the land was always intended to be a park. Opponents say they will now seek a TRO in federal court to stop Daley's bulldozers.

In other news, those same bulldozers accidentally plowed into each of the Plaintiffs' homes today while they were in court. Twice.
While I hate the motivation that most likely existed for da Mare to do what he did, I'm still happy for the results. The only people who I personally knew to use Meigs were politicians and their staffers flying to and from Springfield. There is no need to make it a democrat or republican political issue, as Thompson, Edgar, Madigan and many other locals all used the service at one time or another. The Mayor would like nicer things that he actually can use, like bike paths, in his front yard!

Anyway, I'd hate to think that the judge did it on orders, but the judge was right. The entire lakefront, without exception AFAIK, was intended as parkland, and the whole city will benefit from an open lakefront. Kudos to the judge for the reasoning he gave.

Hello

Old 05-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #12
Mister_Ruysbroeck
Retired

Quote:
Anyone who knows my fictitious self here knows I am generally a very easy-going and laid back person, so I will be generally taking a laissez-faire approach to things here. Feel free to message me with questions or problems and I'll try to help as best I can. I'm learning too, you know.
Sounds a bit more reasonable than the iron fist approach used by raise ipsa to moderate the infirmation chicago board. kudos to you.
Mister_Ruysbroeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:59 PM   #13
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:

Shit.

They bulldozed my half pipe too.

Alright HAMILTON!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:02 PM   #14
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister_Ruysbroeck
Sounds a bit more reasonable than the iron fist approach used by raise ipsa to moderate the infirmation chicago board. kudos to you.
Iron Fist? I always thought of it more as the whine of Woody Allen.

Tax(c'mon, stay on topic or I'll tell you about having to take my Aunt Sadie to senior prom)wonk
taxwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:06 PM   #15
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Calling All Windy City Posters...

Coltrane, Wonk, thanks for stopping by... 3 posts in 5 minutes?? This job is getting way too stressful! Hope we don't crash the board...