LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 242
0 members and 242 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #2806
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: It was the wrong thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
Iwant to make sure I have thje procedural history right: writer files FOIA statements; FBI jerks him off for a while; wter files suit to force disclosure and court orders same. The $470K is a recovery of attorney's fees and not damages, right?
Your understanding is correct.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #2807
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Iwant to make sure I have thje procedural history right: writer files FOIA statements; FBI jerks him off for a while; wter files suit to force disclosure and court orders same. The $470K is a recovery of attorney's fees and not damages, right?
Correct - mostly prevailing party. Took the citizen/journalist that much to make the FBI follow the law.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #2808
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Correct - mostly prevailing party. Took the citizen/journalist that much to make the FBI follow the law.
Without a record, I would be speculating, but if the same tactic was used in court, I would have awarded the same amount again in Rule 11 sanctions.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #2809
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Without a record, I would be speculating, but if the same tactic was used in court, I would have awarded the same amount again in Rule 11 sanctions.
I note Bryan Cave got a good chunk of this. Good for them. That ought to encourage a couple more similar cases.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #2810
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I note Bryan Cave got a good chunk of this. Good for them. That ought to encourage a couple more similar cases.
I cannot comment as my firm represents the US Government on very important high tech matters.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #2811
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I cannot comment as my firm represents the US Government on very important high tech matters.
Kind of tough to watch that ship sail away, especially when it is so low in the water, huh?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #2812
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
I'm not sure you can do that, but don't let that stop you, vis-á-vis the FBI. Those guys are sanctimonious assholes whose souls have been twisted into pretzels by the ability to lie for the good of America. Being a professional liar will fuck up your moral compass with a quickness.

And to any "Special Agents" reading this, yeah, I'm talking about you.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #2813
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
I'm not sure you can do that, but don't let that stop you, vis-á-vis the FBI. Those guys are sanctimonious assholes whose souls have been twisted into pretzels by the ability to lie for the good of America. Being a professional liar will fuck up your moral compass with a quickness.

And to any "Special Agents" reading this, yeah, I'm talking about you.
what about "change agents?"
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #2814
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Three amusing takeaways.

1. Who in the industry didn't see this coming seven to ten years ago? That could only accrue from willful ignorance or blissful self-delusion.
I wish I could say I saw it coming -- I thought it was my firm.

Quote:
2. Why is this only focused on big firms? Medium sized firms are also getting hammered.
Because they have journalists who cover them, so a writer from TNR can start with the reporting other people have done.

Quote:
3. When was law - big, small, or medium, all practice specialties - a collegial, communal environment, in which people were more interested in being part of a "profession" than making money like any other business?
Law firm dynamics were surely very, very different before partners learned what they could be making at other law firms and started jumping around.

And the irony of discussing that on this board is not lost on me.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #2815
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Law firm dynamics were surely very, very different before partners learned what they could be making at other law firms and started jumping around.

my first big law seemed a very nice place to be a partner. the partners weren't told what other partners billed, nor their books, so they could hardly in fight. there was a guy with a corner office who had basically written Mi. condo law 20 years before, had enormous billings and got the corner. then the field turned into commodity. when I was there he sat in that corner office doing nothing. he billed 800 hours (we were just starting to learn what others did).

point is, mid 80s things were friendly!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #2816
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post

One of the great things about having departed Biglaw for a boutique is that I have to work pretty hard to get myself to really care about the pending demise of these places. I mean, the problem isn't that the lives of the Biglaw partners are bleak and miserly because they need to make iBanker amounts or that they're failing to reproduce themselves and so populate the world with more baby reptiles. The problems are that Biglaw increasingly sucks at providing quality legal services because they are more focused on their own needs than their clients'; and that Biglaw's main need is the soak clients by ginning unnecessary or fabricated hours constantly.

There is always a simple option for a good lawyer - find some compatriots, do some good work, treat clients fairly, and money that is really pretty damn good by any reasonable standards, though perhaps not enough to average $1.5M ppp. All these whiners are choosing the life they complain about.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #2817
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
There is always a simple option for a good lawyer - find some compatriots, do some good work, treat clients fairly, and money that is really pretty damn good by any reasonable standards, though perhaps not enough to average $1.5M ppp. All these whiners are choosing the life they complain about.
there were people at my last biglaw that saw themselves as parallel to me, and they would talk about doing this, but most of them get unhappy at one BL and jump to another, too chicken to try and make it. They somehow fail to realize 1) they have now quit several BL firms, and found them repugnant, and 2) even if the boutique crashes and burns, every BL would hire them (patent being a field marketable to these hell holes) so there is no real risk
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #2818
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
One of the great things about having departed Biglaw for a boutique is that I have to work pretty hard to get myself to really care about the pending demise of these places. I mean, the problem isn't that the lives of the Biglaw partners are bleak and miserly because they need to make iBanker amounts or that they're failing to reproduce themselves and so populate the world with more baby reptiles. The problems are that Biglaw increasingly sucks at providing quality legal services because they are more focused on their own needs than their clients'; and that Biglaw's main need is the soak clients by ginning unnecessary or fabricated hours constantly.

It's not just law. Commoditization is savaging professionals in every industry. The bean counters rule all, and they are unbeatable because, what's the argument against them? There is no rational near term argument against a ruthless rush to optimal efficiency. The only argument is a long term one: That sooner or later, nobody will be able to afford what's being produced so damn efficiently. And nobody in a position to make a difference has ever given a fuck about the long term.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #2819
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
there were people at my last biglaw that saw themselves as parallel to me, and they would talk about doing this, but most of them get unhappy at one BL and jump to another, too chicken to try and make it. They somehow fail to realize 1) they have now quit several BL firms, and found them repugnant, and 2) even if the boutique crashes and burns, every BL would hire them (patent being a field marketable to these hell holes) so there is no real risk
It took me a while to realize it. But, several years out now, I can't help but laugh at the whining.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #2820
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
It's not just law. Commoditization is savaging professionals in every industry. The bean counters rule all, and they are unbeatable because, what's the argument against them? There is no rational near term argument against a ruthless rush to optimal efficiency. The only argument is a long term one: That sooner or later, nobody will be able to afford what's being produced so damn efficiently. And nobody in a position to make a difference has ever given a fuck about the long term.
I was at the annual outside counsel meeting for my biggest client, and their outside counsel laison was explaining that document review should never been done by a lawyer, and typically should be done somewhere like India.

All I could do was think of how many more years adder has until he can retire.