LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Boston

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 178
0 members and 178 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #211
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Oxymoron of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by frodo corleone
"Littler is a well-respected and successful L&E firm"

So do the shops like Seyfarth, who come to Boston to run away from underpriced commodity employment work, show more vision than the ones like Littler, who decide to come here to seek what underpriced commodity work we have?

And isn't the most interesting labor and employment work around here the stuff you need a full service firm with IP capacity for? I'm not questioning the logic of Little in other markets, but Boston just doesn't have many Fortune 500 companies with enormous numbers of minor HR issues. Our best markets are VCs and tech companies.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #212
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

A Rod?

From boston.com:

message board: Have you heard the latest buzz about the seemingly dead Manny-for-A-Rod, Nomar-for-Ordonez blockbuster deal? According to several fan message boards, including sonsofsamhorn.com and bostondirtdogs.com, the official team sites of the Red Sox, Rangers, and White Sox all changed their flags at the top of their sites within an hour of each other at about 2 a.m. today, removing images of the aforementioned players. Spooky! Conspiracy! What do you think is going on???
Anne Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #213
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

A Rod?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Elk
From boston.com:

message board: Have you heard the latest buzz about the seemingly dead Manny-for-A-Rod, Nomar-for-Ordonez blockbuster deal? According to several fan message boards, including sonsofsamhorn.com and bostondirtdogs.com, the official team sites of the Red Sox, Rangers, and White Sox all changed their flags at the top of their sites within an hour of each other at about 2 a.m. today, removing images of the aforementioned players. Spooky! Conspiracy! What do you think is going on???
Yeah, I'm sure that no word would leak out about teh trade, but they would update their websites days in advance of an announcement. We'll know if the deal is coming back before it happens. Too many parties involved (well, Tom Hicks) to keep it silent.

I doubt it happens this year. But it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen next year, since Manny and A-Rod will sitll have the ginormous contracts, and Nomah will be a free agent.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #214
frodo corleone
No Rank For You!

Oxymoron of the Day

Gosh, I didn't realize there was such disdain for L&E, although I guess it does sound pretty boring (unless you're repping the union and are in tight with the wise guys who can ice opposing counsel. Haven't I dreamed of that.)

Look, Littler's only got 4 people in Boston; I think this is one of those "we've got offices in every big city, so we're there when you need us" marketing deals. Or, those 4 service an important firm client that has an office in Boston.
frodo corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #215
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Oxymoron of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by frodo corleone
Look, Littler's only got 4 people in Boston; I think this is one of those "we've got offices in every big city, so we're there when you need us" marketing deals. Or, those 4 service an important firm client that has an office in Boston.
Those 4 were pretty big players in their firms, anyone know how much work they brought with them?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #216
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Oxymoron of the Day

Quote:
Those 4 were pretty big players in their firms, anyone know how much work they brought with them?
The choate guy was a junior partner, not a big cheese; my impression is the Bingham folks may be bigger fish.

Still, my understanding is he is a good lawyer.

Maybe I didn't say it nicely enough before, though, but isn't this a pretty mediocre line of business? A couple steps above insurance defense, to be sure, but still not what drive downtown firms.
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #217
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Kinder & Gentler

Anyone see the Sunday Globe Magazine article on stressed out lawyers? I've just skimmed it (have to head to the office today). More later. Link here

Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #218
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Boston Marathon Hotels

Quote:
Are you looking for a room the night before the Marathon? Book now (if there are any left). There are a bunch of hotels all around Copley Square - a Marriott, the Copley Plaza, there's a Hyatt ($233 per night) one block off the Common that is just a short walk from the Finish Line. There are also a couple of hotels in Kenmore Square. One is brand new and I'm blanking on the name. There are two Wyndhams, one in the Financial District, the other right on the Common on Tremont Street.

Here's a link for checking room availability.

If you don't mind a short T or bus ride, there are B&B's in the Brookline/JP area that are very nice.
Thanks Ann!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #219
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Kinder & Gentler

Quote:
Anyone see the Sunday Globe Magazine article on stressed out lawyers? I've just skimmed it (have to head to the office today). More later. Link here

Minnesota has its spinning hippy chicks.

We have spinning hippy old men.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:19 PM   #220
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Kinder & Gentler

Quote:
Originally posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Minnesota has its spinning hippy chicks.

We have spinning hippy old men.
Yeah, all the spinning hippy chicks are over in the People's Republic.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:27 PM   #221
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Gordian Knot

The SJC has said that an unborn child can not sue it's mother for injuries sustained in a car accident.

Quote:
Attorney Michael Mahoney, who represented the girl, Andre Remy, and her father, Reginald Remy, said he attempted to limit his argument to negligence in automobile accidents. But he said the court appeared to be concerned about creating a "slippery slope" where "you've got children suing their mothers because their mothers used Nutrasweet."
What kind of twisted mind came up with the idea for this lawsuit?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #222
credit this

Oxymoron of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Boston just doesn't have many Fortune 500 companies with enormous numbers of minor HR issues.
No? Just working off the top of my head, all of the following have significant workforces in or around Boston:
BJ's, Circuit City, Citizens (RBS), Compaq (ex-Digital), CVS, EMC, Exelon, Fidelity, FleetBoston (BOA), GE, Gillette, Harcourt, Harvard, IBM (ex-Lotus), John Hancock, MFS, NStar, PerkinElmer, Polaroid, Putnam, Raytheon, Showcase Cinemas (National Amusements), Sovereign, Staples, State Street, Talbots, Thermo Electron, TJX, Verizon, Waters.
In addition to big companies, there are big professional services firms (law, accounting, consulting, engineering) with HR issues. I'm not a L&E type and don't know what all this means for L&E practice, but was surprised to see someone writing that there are no big companies here.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #223
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Anybody Wanna Claim This Assjack?

Lately Chicago media (TV and radio) have been bombarded by ads from some ambulance chaser who does asbestos injuries who claims to be from Boston. James Sokolove? Ring a bell?

The ads are pretty unintentionally funny, because in them he has to make clear he's not licensed here, is licensed only in Mass. and NY, and if you call his 800# he will be farming your case out to some Lawyer to Be Named Later and will probably never actually speak to you...

Sounds like a true paragon of the NE legal community. No offense but we have enough of our own cheesy TV ad "paragons" here as it is...
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #224
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand
Lately Chicago media (TV and radio) have been bombarded by ads from some ambulance chaser who does asbestos injuries who claims to be from Boston. James Sokolove? Ring a bell?

The ads are pretty unintentionally funny, because in them he has to make clear he's not licensed here, is licensed only in Mass. and NY, and if you call his 800# he will be farming your case out to some Lawyer to Be Named Later and will probably never actually speak to you...

Sounds like a true paragon of the NE legal community. No offense but we have enough of our own cheesy TV ad "paragons" here as it is...
What, afraid of a little competition ? That guy's been advertising as long as Jordan's furniture. I haven't lived in the area in 10+ years, and the name and ads are familiar (although I think you could substitute the name of the local ambulance chaser and hear the same ad in virtually any metro area.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #225
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Do the commercials remind you of Sebby? If so, that's our Jimmy Sokolove.

You are missing the opportunity here. We highbrow shops ought to be approaching each of our respective cheesy but wealthy ambulance chasers and suggesting they merge with their breathern, highbrow firms to handle mergers.