LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 252
0 members and 252 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #3601
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: We are all Slave now.

Flight attendant this AM dishing on having the Trump sons on a recent flight- “ they were PIGS left newspapers piled all around.” I call bullshit. Trumps read?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 10-18-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #3602
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Khashoggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
If we were going to go this route, and internally decide that we don't have any concerns about morality, and only care about strategic and economic concerns, then it seems like the way to do that would be to pretend that we DO care deeply about these sorts of atrocities, and use the threat of sanctions or whatever that this fake moral high ground provides us, to extract diplomatic and/or economic concession from the Saudis. Instead, the crown prince sends a hit team to cut off the fingers, and then the head, of a troublesome journalist critic, the fucking Turks have it ON TAPE, and Mike Pompeo flies overseas to sit around giggling like a school child with his Saudi buddies, and then returns and basically tells everyone to look away as there is nothing to see here. Putting aside the complete absence of horror and outrage that this will inspire among Trump supporters on moral grounds, from a strategic and diplomatic standpoint, Trump is emasculating us (probably in order to protect his personal financial interests). But the Trump support base will be unaffected because THERE IS NOTHING HE CAN DO that will get them to actually try to think about these issues critically, even if they were capable of doing so, and the bottom line is they don't really care. And even the folks like the so-called Never Trump conservatives, who pretend to have a moral compass when convenient, will offer some tepid criticism to show that they are really against the gruesome torture and decapitation of political critics, and then will go back to blaming liberal whining for any problems our country is facing.
This does not apply if one of your deeply hidden and unspoken policy aims is to normalize and enshrine “the only rule is power” as an international foreign policy baseline.

I think a lot of nationalists and would be fascists in DC are appalled by the extent of what MbS did, but secretly applaud such a brazen act. They like the idea of being able to take the gloves off with critics. They’d like to jail and sue the media rather than kill them, but those are just different points on the same continuum of thought.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #3603
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Jesus.
Reports state Khashoggi was injected with a drug before being killed, or perhaps killed with a drug. The former seems more likely. The Saudis sedate prisoners to be executed before beheading. If this was done to Khashoggi, and he was then killed by decapitation, this may have been meant to convey a message, to hold the imprimatur of a truly official execution.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #3604
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Reports state Khashoggi was injected with a drug before being killed, or perhaps killed with a drug. The former seems more likely. The Saudis sedate prisoners to be executed before beheading. If this was done to Khashoggi, and he was then killed by decapitation, this may have been meant to convey a message, to hold the imprimatur of a truly official execution.
I understand that everyone is all upset about this guy getting killed and all the lying about it and everything, but could we all just stop for a moment to remember that time that President Obama wore a tan suit? That was really awful.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #3605
Not Bob

But it wouldn’t be make believe if you believed in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I understand that everyone is all upset about this guy getting killed and all the lying about it and everything, but could we all just stop for a moment to remember that time that President Obama wore a tan suit? That was really awful.
There’s a double standard. There has always been a double standard. We need to get over it.

By the way, I saw this photo and can not determine who this is. I’m pretty sure that it’s a younger* Tatum O’Neal (and a really big dog) but am too lazy to really look. Bueller? Anyone?lw

*Not this young, which relates to the re line how?

Old 10-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #3606
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: But it wouldn’t be make believe if you believed in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
There’s a double standard. There has always been a double standard. We need to get over it.
Double standard? There's no standard at all. Cf.:

Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.

Speaking of double standards, Why Are The Proud Boys So Obsessed With Not Masturbating?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #3607
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
What do you think - will Trump give Gianforte a bone saw for Christmas?
Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #3608
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Trump doesn’t “give.” He might loan with an expectation of result.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #3609
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
As someone else said on Twitter, we are a few weeks from Trump doing an imitation of Khashoggi at rallies.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #3610
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I found that odd myself. If you're going to wear a tan suit, it should be a cotton summer weight one. But Reagan wore far worse awful brown suits. And Obama's was a minor sin. It's not like he was wearing a pinned collar, or metal buckle loafers with a suit.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #3611
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Double standard? There's no standard at all. Cf.:

Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.

Speaking of double standards, Why Are The Proud Boys So Obsessed With Not Masturbating?
I don't trust people who don't drink, but are neither recovering alcoholics nor afflicted with some allergy or medical condition compelling them to teetotal. This same rule applies to a person who eschews masturbation.

I've no issue with a person who claims to be master if his or her domain. "Infrequently," or "I get enough sex that I don't need to do that," are among the most common of white lies. But a person who actually lets that kettle boil for days, perhaps weeks, without pulling it off the stove is a sick individual.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #3612
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Ther's no double standard. The Right simply attacks everything the President does when he's a Democrat and the Left does not do so as effectively when he's a Republican.

In the current climate, I think the Left is tripping over dollars while chasing nickels. It spends an enormous amount of its time on squabbles over who is a more pure Leftie (shaming its moderates and engaging in virtue signalling competitions that alienate voters), purges its own best generals (Franken), and focuses on niche issues (often involving identity politics) that don't translate to the broader public.

Wealth Inequality
Tax Cuts for Plutocrats
Health Care
Middle Class Job Insecurity

Slam the GOP over the head with those four things over and over. Those are winning arguments. The Democrats should be talking about winning the Senate right now instead of wondering how thin their majority margin will be in the House.

Russia, #metoo, climate, Trump acting like a would-be dictator, grievance politics, Khashoggi, Kavanaugh... These are all important things. But they are issues that resonate most with people who are already voting Democrat... sermons to the converted.

I find the Khashoggi thing sickening, and I'm a person who already believes, particularly in foreign relations, that power is the only real rule (I increasingly believe so on domestic matters as well, but still hold out some hope of rescue). And it is galling that idiocy like Benghazi was in the media for years, while Trump's gutless reaction (enabling, really) to the Saudis on Khashoggi will probably be forgotten in two weeks. But if Democrats want Trump out, they're going to have to speak to the people who put Trump into office, on basic domestic issues.

And the message that works will not be, "We know in a global economy, you're losers, and it sucks, but we'll take care of you. We'll give you safety nets." The message that works will be, "We are not going to leave you behind. We are not going to simply offer you care. We are going to give you a seat at the policy-making table. You will be treated as equals, not as problems for elites to manage." This will be a lie to some degree, of course, for reasons I needn't note, but that message will work.

The voters both parties need - these new populists - want a say in where their lives are going. The party that gives them the promise of that will win. The party that talks about "double standards" plays the GOP's game. And loses.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #3613
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I don't trust people who don't drink, but are neither recovering alcoholics nor afflicted with some allergy or medical condition compelling them to teetotal. This same rule applies to a person who eschews masturbation.

I've no issue with a person who claims to be master if his or her domain. "Infrequently," or "I get enough sex that I don't need to do that," are among the most common of white lies. But a person who actually lets that kettle boil for days, perhaps weeks, without pulling it off the stove is a sick individual.
Just because Ty doesn’t post on weekends does mean it’s okay to passive aggressively attack him on two fronts like this.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #3614
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Just because Ty doesn’t post on weekends does mean it’s okay to passive aggressively attack him on two fronts like this.
I don’t ordinarily post a reply that has nothing to do with the original post, but ...

I am pissed because I spent an hour trying to do a parody of the Spin Doctors’ “Two Princes” featuring MBS and Jared, and I am blocked. Not that any of you fuckers care; my “Tobin, PJ, and Squi” parody got no love. I mean, it wasn’t my best work (I’m partial to “Me and Sebby D” as sung by dtb. Sniff.), but still.

Fine - I can’t do it. I have to reply to Hank.

Hank, I think that Ty has mentioned having a drink (or maybe wine?) before. But I could be Not Right.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #3615
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I don’t ordinarily post a reply that has nothing to do with the original post, but ...

I am pissed because I spent an hour trying to do a parody of the Spin Doctors’ “Two Princes” featuring MBS and Jared, and I am blocked. Not that any of you fuckers care; my “Tobin, PJ, and Squi” parody got no love. I mean, it wasn’t my best work (I’m partial to “Me and Sebby D” as sung by dtb. Sniff.), but still.

Fine - I can’t do it. I have to reply to Hank.

Hank, I think that Ty has mentioned having a drink (or maybe wine?) before. But I could be Not Right.
he quit- he once drained boxes of wine, but no more.