LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 117
0 members and 117 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #1156
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post

Here's the thing:

Ontario (where I'm from) just elected as premier a Trump in Canadian form. He rode to victory promising cheap beer (seriously). He's Rob Ford's (remember him?) less classy and more white nationalist-y brother. (So on a private note, Fuck you Ontario, and especially fuck you Peterborough -- that's the place in the sticks where I am from that went all in for Ford.).

So my point is that things are just as fucked there as they are here. Educated v. not educated, urban v. rural divide, white assholes etc.

And Quebec has always been slightly fucked up. In Quebec City at least, they tend to like Americans better than English Canadians, so you'll likely experience no issues at all there. Montreal is pretty chill overall, so I wouldn't worry there. And Tremblant is touristy, so no problem there.

Returning to my original point about Canadians hiding their feelings. We do it well and are pretty reserved. So even if you encounter anti-Americanism, it will likely be pretty muted.
Rob Ford's brother? Seriously. Wow. Here, we blame Sebby for Trump. Do you have a face for the Ford thing? (oh, and thanks for the break down)
Old 06-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #1157
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
That's because we're pretty good at hiding our contempt.

Here's the thing:

Ontario (where I'm from) just elected as premier a Trump in Canadian form. He rode to victory promising cheap beer (seriously). He's Rob Ford's (remember him?) less classy and more white nationalist-y brother. (So on a private note, Fuck you Ontario, and especially fuck you Peterborough -- that's the place in the sticks where I am from that went all in for Ford.).

So my point is that things are just as fucked there as they are here. Educated v. not educated, urban v. rural divide, white assholes etc.

And Quebec has always been slightly fucked up. In Quebec City at least, they tend to like Americans better than English Canadians, so you'll likely experience no issues at all there. Montreal is pretty chill overall, so I wouldn't worry there. And Tremblant is touristy, so no problem there.

Returning to my original point about Canadians hiding their feelings. We do it well and are pretty reserved. So even if you encounter anti-Americanism, it will likely be pretty muted.
Between Brexit and Trump and Le Pen and various other right wing nationalists in Europe, it's not a uniquely American phenomenon. There has been a cosmopolitan elite consensus in the developed world since World War II that is now under attack, and is no longer shared.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #1158
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Between Brexit and Trump and Le Pen and various other right wing nationalists in Europe, it's not a uniquely American phenomenon. There has been a cosmopolitan elite consensus in the developed world since World War II that is now under attack, and is no longer shared.
my relatives are southern Italian. I know the last election seems to have resulted in an anti-immigrant new government. That I can read from the news, IN ENGLISH. But on FaceBook, my Calabrese relatives keep posting articles, that seem to say Calabria went against it, and that the rest of the country basically wants to kick us out. But I'm guessing because these are all in ITALIAN and I can't get a clue.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #1159
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I'm just hoping the rest of the world forgives us for electing him.
I'm not sure I would even expect them to. There have been points where I was considering accepting the heartfelt and eloquent apology that I wrote on behalf of Sebastian for doing what he knows he did, but at this point, I'm beginning to think that ship has sailed.

I am not sorry.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #1160
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I'm not sure I would even expect them to. There have been points where I was considering accepting the heartfelt and eloquent apology that I wrote on behalf of Sebastian for doing what he knows he did, but at this point, I'm beginning to think that ship has sailed.
First reports out of Singapore, and it sounds like Trump has a big WIN!!! Rocket Man has agreed to mediate the disputes between Canada and the US, provided we give him missile technology and Canada provides him with Uranium!

Watch those little globalist libs cry!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #1161
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Like burning down the White House? What's "exercised" look like? Carpet bombing Erie?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #1162
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
The consensus regarding free trade and cooperation is not under attack. Trump and Italy are "burn it all down" movements.

People will compete with each other to a point. When the losers in a system feel like they can't win, like they've no chance, they'll shift to a different strategy: Making others lose, too.

All wealth and status is relative. If a person can't beat his betters, he'll pull them down. Shit, our entire media industry runs on that concept. 70% of what's in print or on TV is devoted to destroying a successful person. (I'm not even touching the envy industry that's social media... that's a cesspool of nothing other than bullshitting braggarts, trolls, and sociopaths.)

Brexit's a little different. That's fear of immigrants who aren't assimilating as rigidly as expected.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #1163
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The consensus regarding free trade and cooperation is not under attack. Trump and Italy are "burn it all down" movements.
You are wrong.

Quote:
People will compete with each other to a point. When the losers in a system feel like they can't win, like they've no chance, they'll shift to a different strategy: Making others lose, too.

All wealth and status is relative. If a person can't beat his betters, he'll pull them down. Shit, our entire media industry runs on that concept. 70% of what's in print or on TV is devoted to destroying a successful person. (I'm not even touching the envy industry that's social media... that's a cesspool of nothing other than bullshitting braggarts, trolls, and sociopaths.)
Have you thought about putting these sentiments on greeting cards?

Quote:
Brexit's a little different. That's fear of immigrants who aren't assimilating as rigidly as expected.
OK, professor.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #1164
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Gothic Hallmark Greeting Cards!!

Quote:
Like burning down the White House? What's "exercised" look like? Carpet bombing Erie?
Hell is living in a Michael Moore movie.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #1165
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
You do realize this is Moron Word Salad with Self-Contradictory Dressing, don't you?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #1166
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
You do realize this is Moron Word Salad with Self-Contradictory Dressing, don't you?
A consensus is an agreed upon view of something.

I don't think Italy or Trump are products of people no longer believing that trade and cooperation are good things over the long term. I think it's short term losers recognizing they are losers without a chance of changing their situations during their lifetimes saying, "Let's blow the game up."

The Trumpkins and Five Star folks agree with the consensus. They just can't make it work for their benefit. So they're seeking parity by bringing others down to their level.

If I can't win, I'll bring the whole house down around me.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #1167
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Hell is living in a Michael Moore movie.
Where the only thing to eat is rabbit.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #1168
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Where the only thing to eat is rabbit.
Well, given your coastal myopia I understand your confusion. But the people of Flint had food in that fantasy, just no jobs, so they bred rabbits to sell. A fairly sizable city, where once GM left, the only job was selling rabbits, think about that. And that's roger's fault?- got it. In fact there was/is a lot still going on there.

And look, you know my surname. Fucking GM actually cheated my fam out of my birth right in about 1910 or so. I am no friend of that company. But MM's movies are silly fantasies. It made more sense when you were watching West Wing.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #1169
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Well, given your coastal myopia I understand your confusion. But the people of Flint had food in that fantasy, just no jobs, so they bred rabbits to sell. A fairly sizable city, where once GM left, the only job was selling rabbits, think about that. And that's roger's fault?- got it. In fact there was/is a lot still going on there.

And look, you know my surname. Fucking GM actually cheated my fam out of my birth right in about 1910 or so. I am no friend of that company. But MM's movies are silly fantasies. It made more sense when you were watching West Wing.
Just to be clear, I've always viewed pet/meat as a false dichotomy.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #1170
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

I have nothing but sympathy for the people of Flint, especially if they are eating nothing but rabbit, but that does not mean I want to live their life. YMMV.
Closed Thread