LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Texas

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 141
0 members and 141 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Poll Results: What will happen to J&G?
Give us, I mean them, a few months, we, I mean they, will not only manage to keep the lights on here, but we, I mean they, will light up the night sky. 4 15.38%
Nothing at all - everything's fine. Really. 0 0%
They will dig themselves out with no long-term effects. 2 7.69%
They will be substantially weaker and may eventually break up, but not now. 9 34.62%
They're going straight down the shitter. 4 15.38%
I don't know and frankly I don't give a rat's ass. 14 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
Paratech

Question J&g

Can anyone tell me what's it like inside at J&G
Old 04-29-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
Regional Anon

J&G

Some of the local offices have very big moral problems. Dallas office is probably similar to other Bigtex firms right now -- no one loves the place, but we all enjoy the paycheck every two weeks.

Transactional work is picking up. Litigation is (and has been for some time) quite busy.

Does anyone think we are in danger of folding? Not that I've heard.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
greedy

Unhappy J&G

Quote:
Originally posted by Regional Anon
Some of the local offices have very big moral problems. Dallas office is probably similar to other Bigtex firms right now -- no one loves the place, but we all enjoy the paycheck every two weeks.

Transactional work is picking up. Litigation is (and has been for some time) quite busy.

Does anyone think we are in danger of folding? Not that I've heard.
From my sources this is probably correct although in certain practice groups the morale issue is much worse than this might indicate. In at least one practice group among the rank and file there is supposedly no trust present in the firm managment. There is little hope that the firm will do the right thing or even to communicate with this group (in any of the offices). There is proven reasons to doubt that the firm will even listen to concerns. The new operating committe structure of J&G may improve this but communication from them to associates is terrible. Respect overall for the firm chairman is at an all time low with the a significant number of associates. I understand this to be true with many shareholders as well.
As to folding probably not, but emerging by the end of 2003 as one half the size that may be more likely.
Headhunters are swarming around the good talent.

Last edited by greedy; 04-30-2003 at 04:10 AM..
Old 04-30-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Paratech

J&G

Greedy - The issue of respect (or lack thereof) is that with regards to the new MP Cibrian?

Regional Anon - I know they've had a few major defections but how is the transactional side holding up? which of the offices seem to have moral issues SA or NYC?
Old 04-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Radman

Associate morale is low, low, low, Shareholders only paint rosey pictures while laying off attorneys and watching defections.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
evenodds
prodigal poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Radman
Associate morale is low, low, low, Shareholders only paint rosey pictures while laying off attorneys and watching defections.
Is it like that in all offices, or are some better than others?
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #7
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Also, are some practice areas doing better than others? I posted a while ago that I noticed their health law practice dwindle considerably in Houston over the last three years. They used to be one of the major players, and now there are only two health care people there.
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
Also, are some practice areas doing better than others? I posted a while ago that I noticed their health law practice dwindle considerably in Houston over the last three years. They used to be one of the major players, and now there are only two health care people there.
Yes and also certain offices. IP in Dallas took a hit recently with PGL and another equity jumping with some associates and paralegals. IP in Chicago is rumored to be looking at leaving en mass. Some corporate out of Dallas are looking as well according to rumors. Main complaint is lack of responsiveness from firm mangment to concerns of rank and file. Chairman of firm is not a good internal communicator according to some and is not trusted by many including the equities, however no one has stepped up as of yet as viable candidate to replace him. Some discussion in back rooms of recall of him and some other board members though.

<<insider scoop>>
Old 05-04-2003, 08:49 PM   #9
greedy

J&G

Quote:
Originally posted by Paratech
Greedy - The issue of respect (or lack thereof) is that with regards to the new MP Cibrian?

Regional Anon - I know they've had a few major defections but how is the transactional side holding up? which of the offices seem to have moral issues SA or NYC?
who is Cibrian? Chairman is B. Durbin
Old 05-11-2003, 05:43 PM   #10

Rumor is that a significant number of support staff layoffs at J&G are to be done this week or next. Is J&G imploding?
Old 05-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #11
Billy

I think Cibrian is an international/corporate lawyer who works out of their S.A. office.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy
I think Cibrian is an international/corporate lawyer who works out of their S.A. office.
The SA office from what I understand is one of the smaller offices and the Office Managing Shareholder from the various office have little to say in the firm business suprisingly.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #13
Billy

What's the scoop on J&G

The old board has info related to several corp associates and groups of ip associates leaving the firm from Dallas, Houston, and Chicago. Combined with earlier moves from Dallas and Austin, wide-spread complaints about the chairman, and the ongoing tax litigation, this seems significant.

Does anyone have an insight into what is going on at the firm and whether or not it will be fatal?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:43 PM   #14
evenodds
prodigal poster

What's the scoop on J&G

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy
The old board has info related to several corp associates and groups of ip associates leaving the firm from Dallas, Houston, and Chicago. Combined with earlier moves from Dallas and Austin, wide-spread complaints about the chairman, and the ongoing tax litigation, this seems significant.

Does anyone have an insight into what is going on at the firm and whether or not it will be fatal?
Billy, what's the news from the old board?
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #15
Billy

The thread on the other board is basically saying that 3 more Dallas IP associates left this week and rumors are swirling that some Dallas corporate attorneys and a group of Houston IP attorneys are next in line. Additionally, the thread implies that leadership issues and partner salary issues are an important factor in alll of this. Earlier threads focused upon the importance of tax litigation.