LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 360
0 members and 360 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #886
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I think you fail to grasp that evolved society lives in a Post-Morality Pragmatic Utopia in which empathy has become obsolete.
Say what you will, but we post-moral pragmatists are carbon friendly. We have only as many kids as we can afford (including paying for higher ed), which means fewer cars, less use of fuel, less energy consumption per household, less food consumption (lower methane!), less water consumption... hell -- less everything!

We also try not to send Junior into the student loan system, which means lower chance of default on taxpayer's dimes. And with the money we save voting for lower taxes every chance we get, we avoid taxing the state with benefit costs in our dotage.

We who don't believe anyone is owed or entitled to anything tend to be pretty solid stewards, as we expect to be treated with indifference.

Does the Moral State take care of us some? Of course it does. But we try to avoid having to depend on it. (Don't confuse the "hands off my Medicare" folks with us... they're dependents to the core -- big govt bigots.) We don't want to need any more than we want to be needed.

It's perhaps a chilly island, maybe a little mean to some, but it's got a low carbon footprint, and it tries to run in the black.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #887
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Say what you will, but we post-moral pragmatists are carbon friendly. We have only as many kids as we can afford (including paying for higher ed), which means fewer cars, less use of fuel, less energy consumption per household, less food consumption (lower methane!), less water consumption... hell -- less everything!

We also try not to send Junior into the student loan system, which means lower chance of default on taxpayer's dimes. And with the money we save voting for lower taxes every chance we get, we avoid taxing the state with benefit costs in our dotage.

We who don't believe anyone is owed or entitled to anything tend to be pretty solid stewards, as we expect to be treated with indifference.

Does the Moral State take care of us some? Of course it does. But we try to avoid having to depend on it. (Don't confuse the "hands off my Medicare" folks with us... they're dependents to the core -- big govt bigots.) We don't want to need any more than we want to be needed.

It's perhaps a chilly island, maybe a little mean to some, but it's got a low carbon footprint, and it tries to run in the black.
Why can't you be pragmatic AND moral?

I am not sorry.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #888
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Does the Moral State take care of us some? Of course it does. But we try to avoid having to depend on it.
Do you claim the home mortgage interest deduction or use the interstates?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #889
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Sorry, it's either/or, not a la carte.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #890
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
It's absolutely bizarre to argue that low carbon footprint correlates to a lack of empathy.

Of course, it's just as bizarre to apparently believe that morality is synonymous with religion and thus with stereotypes of the religious.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my bicycles, which are actually my primary modes of transportation, have a lower carbon footprint than your Canyonero.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #891
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Do you ... use the interstates?
I drove on an interstate last saturday (entirely within the city of Minneapolis, though) and both Saturday and Sunday two weekends before that!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #892
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
It's absolutely bizarre to argue that low carbon footprint correlates to a lack of empathy.

Of course, it's just as bizarre to apparently believe that morality is synonymous with religion and thus with stereotypes of the religious.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my bicycles, which are actually my primary modes of transportation, have a lower carbon footprint than your Canyonero.
If so, I'm pretty sure that living in California's moderate climes makes me much less empathetic than either of you. Especially now that I don't jet around the world.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #893
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
If so, I'm pretty sure that living in California's moderate climes makes me much less empathetic than either of you. Especially now that I don't jet around the world.

When you and Atticus came to see me you were in an hour long traffic jam, which I assume happens to you frequently. You are the problem, city claims nonetheless.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #894
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
When you and Atticus came to see me you were in an hour long traffic jam, which I assume happens to you frequently. You are the problem, city claims nonetheless.
Almost never, as I take public transit to work.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #895
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I was working with your descriptive ("post moral pragmatism").

I don't see any reason one can't be both.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #896
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

I didn't say it did. I said those of us who expect little from the state tend to save and conserve more than those who expect a lot.

I think it'd be great to have a huge family. But good schools are expensive. So unlike those who saddle the planet with carbon consuming issue they cannot afford, I have a small family.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #897
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I was working with your descriptive ("post moral pragmatism").

I don't see any reason one can't be both.
My descriptive? You have an amazing ability to fail to understand that we can still access things you wrote on the internet a few days ago. Like:

"But we're in a post-morality world. Pragmatism, empirical data, and rationality rule among the smarter sets of us."

I am not sorry.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #898
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I didn't say it did. I said those of us who expect little from the state tend to save and conserve more than those who expect a lot.
Yeah, I don't think that's even remotely true. In fact, I think those who expect little from the state are especially likely to leverage themselves for McMansions and fancy vehicles while decrying the real moochers who get food stamps.

But I can introduce you to some car-free vegans who make their own clothes if you'd like to see saving and conserving.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #899
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think that's even remotely true. In fact, I think those who expect little from the state are especially likely to leverage themselves for McMansions and fancy vehicles while decrying the real moochers who get food stamps.

But I can introduce you to some car-free vegans who make their own clothes if you'd like to see saving and conserving.
I've generally found that those who say they expect little from the state get quite a lot out of it when you scratch the surface. I was recently getting this line from a bank president I know, who kind of stumbled when I asked how much he had out from the Fed's window and what the rate was.

Pretty much all of the libertarian loan officers Sebby likes to talk about are really wards of the state.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #900
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

One of our first babysitters ran with a freegan crowd.

I am not sorry.
Closed Thread