LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 472
0 members and 472 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #4996
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: YANKEES SUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
I assumed "they" was the NFL, and the point being that the NFL hasn't really seemed to care that much about what happens to game balls (other than kicker balls). For example, why doesn't the ref lock the balls in an equipment trunk after he tests them and then unlock it on the field (or something). The fact that the ball bag sits in the refs lockerroom, unguarded, suggests the NFL doesn't really put much emphasis on the issue.
I can’t tell whether you’re kidding.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #4997
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I assumed "they" was the NFL, and the point being that the NFL hasn't really seemed to care that much about what happens to game balls (other than kicker balls). For example, why doesn't the ref lock the balls in an equipment trunk after he tests them and then unlock it on the field (or something). The fact that the ball bag sits in the refs lockerroom, unguarded, suggests the NFL doesn't really put much emphasis on the issue.
If fear of excommunication and an eternity in Hell doesn't stop them, what is a little lock going to do?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #4998
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Ha! You Boston fans slay me. Sure. They should lock the footballs up to keep teams from tampering with them instead of just saying "Don't break the fucking rules." You win for most ridiculous stance on this yet.

TM
Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #4999
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
or that the NFL trusts the teams recognize the league is built on the trust of bettors, and cheating in that matter threatens the health of the league?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #5000
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: I like a good beer buzz early in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
That "contrary to church doctrine" can be the "right thing to do." But once you cross that line, then where are you vis-a-vis church doctrine?
Where I am is in a different church.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #5001
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Paging NotBob

NotBob, I saw you on 44th Street. You were on the phone talking about sports, perhaps, and I was with a colleague walking to a meeting. I did not say hi -- I apologize profusely, I forgot your real name and I didn't want to interrupt your call (which may not have been about sports) and say Hi NotBob, which would have confused my colleague and also perhaps you.

Now I remember your real name. It came to me about 5 min after we passed you.

I hope all is well with you. Lookin' good!
Old 05-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #5002
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
or that the church trusts the priests recognize the faith is built on the trust of their congregations, and wantonly granting annulments threatens the health of the church?
I'm having trouble keeping these threads separate. What are you saying? Are you really agreeing with Atticus on the NFL?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #5003
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Unless the catholic in question was told in the second grade by a nun that she was a bastard and going to hell because her father had been married once before and therefore her parents weren't married in the eyes of god and she had to choose whether she loved God more or her parents more.
And that' why I love mankind.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #5004
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Priests don't give annulments. Church tribunals do. You need two of them.

If you're going to celebrate legalistic precision and hair splitting, you've got to get the process right.
I went to law school with a 62 year old priest who was becoming a lawyer so he could become an annulment lawyer for the Archdiocese of Chicago. Interesting guy to have a cup of coffee with.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #5005
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Is it such a shame if the flexibility is based on $?
It is to the people who don't.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #5006
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
No, my experience has been the same as yours. I have been blessed to interact mostly with Catholic authorities whose primary interest keeping Catholics like me coming to church, and often that means pretending that church teaching is more practical and humanistic than it really is. I had one priest send me off to college with the valediction (hi, Greedy!), “If you can’t be good, be safe.” And a few years after that, my parish priest tried to assure my Episcopalian wife that the pledge we signed to get a permission to marry to the effect that we “will” raise any children born of our marriage in the Catholic Church actually meant that we would “try.” He said this because he knew if he said anything different, the form would go unsigned, and we would be married without the Church’s permission and never darken his door again. I don’t blame him, but I also do not pretend that what Father Dave says to a liberally-minded parishioner is church teaching. There are thousands of Father Daves, but they belong to a church that actually has a formal way of making rules, and a certain pride in offering redemption to those who stray. The result is a lot of rationalization. Which is fine. We are talking about religion, after all.

If your Father Dave and my Father Dave both allow folks to get married in the church without an annulment just because Groom’s first marriage was a civil ceremony, that’s fine by me. It’s contrary to church doctrine, but also the right thing to do, ultimately. And what are we to make of that?
Some priests are smart enough to know that God is more flexible than the Vatican and they choose to obey the real boss? (Note the question mark)
Old 05-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #5007
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
It certainly can't be because the refs have any faith in the moral standards of the players as a group.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #5008
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
It certainly can't be because the refs have any faith in the moral standards of the players as a group.
Well, right, but that's why Atticus said he switched to a different church.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #5009
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Ha! You Boston fans slay me. Sure. They should lock the footballs up to keep teams from tampering with them instead of just saying "Don't break the fucking rules." You win for most ridiculous stance on this yet.

TM
Reeeeeeggie! Reeeeeeggie!

You actually met that guy, TM. He used to work at Comedy Central.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #5010
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Re: Paging NotBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
NotBob, I saw you on 44th Street. You were on the phone talking about sports, perhaps, and I was with a colleague walking to a meeting. I did not say hi -- I apologize profusely, I forgot your real name and I didn't want to interrupt your call (which may not have been about sports) and say Hi NotBob, which would have confused my colleague and also perhaps you.

Now I remember your real name. It came to me about 5 min after we passed you.

I hope all is well with you. Lookin' good!
I expect my Missed Connections to have more flirting. Or nudity. Or both.