LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 187
0 members and 187 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #2866
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
My kids' public school bans peanut butter, as do many others. I suspect many others will tell you their schools do as well.

Where have you been? Huh?
I've been doing some research into childhood food allergies lately, and most food allergies are outgrown. So, Hank, they're not likely to be as much of a problem beyond grade school.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #2867
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Allergies

Quote:
My kids' public school bans peanut butter, as do many others. I suspect many others will tell you their schools do as well.

Out murdering children with peanut butter.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #2868
ltl/fb

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
No.
Thanks!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #2869
robustpuppy

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Thanks!
Is this sarcastic? The exclamation point makes me wonder.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #2870
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Allergies

Quote:

my kids' school wouldn't let my wife bring red and green M&M to the Holiday party, and she's fucking tribal so don't try and pull your more-PC shit with me. Thing is, she could bring peanut M&M as long as they were the right sort.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #2871
ltl/fb

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
Is this sarcastic? The exclamation point makes me wonder.
No. It's perky. See? This is what I am talking about, where people have a hard time believing I can say anything nice.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #2872
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
my kids' school wouldn't let my wife bring red and green M&M to the Holiday party, and she's fucking tribal so don't try and pull your more-PC shit with me. Thing is, she could bring peanut M&M as long as they were the right sort.
How about Santa with a great big knife through his jugular?
pony_trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #2873
Hank Chinaski

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
No. It's perky. See? This is what I am talking about, where people have a hard time believing I can say anything nice.
2. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are the second most helpful poster here- as a precautionary tale- but still.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #2874
Hank Chinaski

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by pony_trekker
How about Santa with a great big knife through his jugular?
depends. did a rabbi do it in a humane manner?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #2875
viet_mom

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
The peanut allergy kid will have to learn to avoid peanut on her own anyway- right? That kid will either learn to not go near nuts at the mall, or he'll die.
But I don't think you could teach a 4 year old to look at something and know whether the ingredients include egg or nuts (i.e., learn to not go near nuts). But....you're right - the child probably will be exposed to nuts/eggs at some point and she just may end up like the 14 year old who died after kissing a guy who had peanut butter a few hours earlier. I guess the parents can only try their hardest to delay that moment as much as possible. I think it all comes down to: just because one child has a severe allergy to peanuts, should the rights of other kids to eat peanuts at school be taken away? But is it really so extreme to prohibit peanut butter and jelly at public school? Seems to me, kiddos get out of school pretty early and can chow down on PB&J's then (but don't ruin your dinner!).

Anyhow, thanks for the input everyone and I did not know that many schools are peanut butter free. I'm still looking for some advocacy group for child allergies on the internet. I would think that would be a great resource.

Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #2876
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Baby stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdiva
One note for hand-me-down carseats: pay attention to the original date of manufacture. Carseats should generally not be used longer than six years from date of manufacture, and should be outright destroyed when they reach the age of 10. I'm pretty sure this is because the plastic degrades over time.
I'm pretty sure it's because the car seat manufacturers want to sell more car seats. It's like the breast pump people who say you can get AIDS from a used breast pump. total bullshit. HIV won't survive more than a few hours outside a body, so there's no way that a pump sitting on someone's shelf is going to contain communicable diseases.

As for child seats, I'm also not persuaded that you need the full-on 5-pt harness up to age 8, let alone age 5 or 6.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #2877
Hank Chinaski

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by viet_mom
But I don't think you could teach a 4 year old to look at something and know whether the ingredients include egg or nuts (i.e., learn to not go near nuts). But....you're right - the child probably will be exposed to nuts/eggs at some point and she just may end up like the 14 year old who died after kissing a guy who had peanut butter a few hours earlier. I guess the parents can only try their hardest to delay that moment as much as possible. I think it all comes down to: just because one child has a severe allergy to peanuts, should the rights of other kids to eat peanuts at school be taken away? But is it really so extreme to prohibit peanut butter and jelly at public school? Seems to me, kiddos get out of school pretty early and can chow down on PB&J's then (but don't ruin your dinner!).

Anyhow, thanks for the input everyone and I did not know that many schools are peanut butter free. I'm still looking for some advocacy group for child allergies on the internet. I would think that would be a great resource.

Thanks again.
de nada mi amigo. and I apologize (though I'm hardly at fault) for the Balt and Captain trolls and their attempts to turn the discussion away from the positive- always remember they have to live the lives their posts hint at.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #2878
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Baby stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
I'm pretty sure it's because the car seat manufacturers want to sell more car seats. It's like the breast pump people who say you can get AIDS from a used breast pump. total bullshit. HIV won't survive more than a few hours outside a body, so there's no way that a pump sitting on someone's shelf is going to contain communicable diseases.

As for child seats, I'm also not persuaded that you need the full-on 5-pt harness up to age 8, let alone age 5 or 6.
Well, a lot of carseats get recalls, too, and the longer it's been around the more likely it is to have one of these. Also, carseats, like bike helmets, must be replaced if they've been in a crash. Or don't you believe in that, either? I will keep using my Roundabout beyond its expiry date because I know exactly where it's been (my car or my basement) and that it hasn't been exposed to any extreme temperatures (as are most carseats left in closed cars in sunnier climes).

As for the five-point harness, it's not a matter of need per se. But after seeing his behavior in a belt-positioning booster (ie., not always or even often sitting with the belt going across his body the way it's supposed to), I decided I'd feel better with a more secure seat. Well, that and I'm lazy, and he can buckle himself into the Husky whereas I'd have to buckle the belt with a booster.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #2879
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Baby stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdiva
Well, a lot of carseats get recalls, too, and the longer it's been around the more likely it is to have one of these. Also, carseats, like bike helmets, must be replaced if they've been in a crash. Or don't you believe in that, either?

tm
I didn't say ignore recalls, but if manufacturers are saying "replace older car seats because chances are we haven't made you aware of our recall" then something's wrong. As for crashes, of course, but the statements don't specify anything relating to crashes--after which one should replace a 1 day old car seat too.

BTW, bike helmets and car seats are fairly different in the way they protect the occupant. A bike helmet is designed to cushion impact directly, by dissipating the blow through the styrofoam and shattering. A car seat is designed primarily to restrain, not cushion a blow (the padding is for comfort). That's what the car frame is for. If you're relying on the car seat itself to protect your child from a smash, your child is going to lose every time. So, unless the straps have worn out, or the plastic is set to break where the straps hold against it, the only problems from degradation of the seat are comfort.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #2880
Hank Chinaski

Helpful Advice From Hank

I remember when my kids were in soccer leagues at 7 or 8, and it seemed real important for them to score and beat the other guys, and I was always careful to yell really loud to remind them.

Now my kid refs soccer games for kids that age. I was watching him do it and saw the parents yelling at their kids, and it seemed obviously nuts- they're little kids just running around- let them have fun. My behavior was wrong back then- you should not make the same mistake.

Once your kid is my kid's age and a great basketball player then it becomes important to yell again.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 01-06-2006 at 08:32 AM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote