LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 116
0 members and 116 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #2956
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post

No one is pure in politics, and if you want to dwell on hypocrisy, there's plenty to go around.
Oh, yeah, there's plenty of hypocrisy in politics. Like how Moore's support among "Evangelicals" increased significantly after the accusations.

Pence is totally creepy, and in many ways a hypocrite (or hypocrate, I miss Litingrate). I get that. And I don't really defend him.

But with Romney, (and I was Anyone But Romney in the primary, due to Romneycare) I saw the attacks on him as rather disingenuous and self-serving. He literally asked for women candidates for various positions, and happened to keep them in a binder. It seems he was actually employing women in important roles and seemed to treat them with respect. So what was the problem, exactly? He was just about the only one in the GOP who was willing to call out Trump with vigor, for many issues including Trump's treatment of women, and suffered a number of attacks I see as unfair (such as for his adopted grandchild).

Last edited by SEC_Chick; 11-16-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #2957
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Fuck. He was actually a solid moderate on many things, and tried to reach across the aisle.

That photo's awful. But he is a comedian? It looks like it was staged to be silly, rather than something truly sexual?

I disagree on much with Franken, but I think he's smart, and the kind of person we should have in the Senate. I hope he survives this.
I don't think there's any excusing or justifying away that photo. It's awful. I am willing to grant that rehearsals may or may not be called for (I'm not a performer, but I've understood that rehearsals are part of the gig), but there's nothing about that photo that is ok.

This makes me sick.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #2958
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I don't think either palm is touching her, but it looks to me like at least his left ring finger is and probably the rest of his left hand fingertips. Harder to tell on the right.

As you say, stupid, and I'd add gross, either way.
Plus it is outside a flak jacket, so nothing other than the "joke" is coming from the grab, real or faked. It's still all fucked up.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 11-16-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #2959
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Oh, yeah, there's plenty of hypocrisy in politics. Like how Moore's support among "Evangelicals" increased significantly after the accusations.

Pence is totally creepy, and in many ways a hypocrite (or hypocrate, I miss Litingrate). I get that. And I don't really defend him.

But with Romney, (and I was Anyone But Romney in the primary, due to Romneycare) I saw the attacks on him as rather disingenuous and self-serving. He literally asked for women candidates for various positions, and happened to keep them in a binder. It seems he was actually employing women in important roles and seemed to treat them with respect. So what was the problem, exactly? He was just about the only one in the GOP who was willing to call out Trump with vigor, for many issues including Trump's treatment of women, and suffered a number of attacks I see as unfair (such as for his adopted grandchild).
I think there's a lot to respect about Romney, and I wouldn't lump him with Moore and Pence. But I don't recall a lot of examples of his putting women in important roles or treating them as equals. What am I forgetting?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 11-16-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #2960
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You're a lawyer, so I know that you don't need me to point out what the difference is there.

The issue is not whether he committed a crime. It's not about Roy Moore's rights. It's about whether Alabama voters get to pick their senator.
They do. But once he ascends to a body with power to remove him, Alabama has ceded jurisdiction over his continuation in that body. When he’s been expelled, they regain power to pick a new representative.

If Alabama doesn’t like it, it can seek to amend the Constitution to repeal the provision giving the Senate the power to expel.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #2961
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
They do. But once he ascends to a body with power to remove him, Alabama has ceded jurisdiction over his continuation in that body. When he’s been expelled, they regain power to pick a new representative.

If Alabama doesn’t like it, it can seek to amend the Constitution to repeal the provision giving the Senate the power to expel.
People like you give empty formalism a bad name.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #2962
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I think there's a lot to respect about Romney, and I wouldn't lump him with Moore and Pence. But I don't recall a lot of examples of his putting women in important roles or treating them as equals. What am I forgetting?
Romney’s binder comment was taken out of context and totally mischaracterized by the Left. It’s shameful there were so many retarded people in this country who believed it was sexist.

And I hated Romney.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #2963
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

I seem to be the only person on the internet who thinks that Al Franken doesn't deserve the full Justine Sacco treatment.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #2964
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
People like you give empty formalism a bad name.
You can’t always get what you want. (AL being barred from all political participation.). But if you read the code sometimes, you get what you need. (“Sorry, it’s the Constitution, redneck.”)
Old 11-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #2965
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Romney’s binder comment was taken out of context and totally mischaracterized by the Left. It’s shameful there were so many retarded people in this country who believed it was sexist.

And I hated Romney.
Tell me what's wrong in this article from the time, which, incidentally, points out that Romney did a pretty good job of appointing women while he was the governor of Massachusetts.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #2966
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Ty:

Quote:
But I don't recall a lot of examples of his putting women in important roles or treating them as equals. What am I forgetting?
Also Ty:

Quote:
Tell me what's wrong in this article from the time, which, incidentally, points out that Romney did a pretty good job of appointing women while he was the governor of Massachusetts.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #2967
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Wrong in what regard? There are many angles from which to assess it.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #2968
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I seem to be the only person on the internet who thinks that Al Franken doesn't deserve the full Justine Sacco treatment.
So you're discounting the kiss? and the photo is okay because he was mugging for the camera? To me the fact that the photo was "a joke" somehow makes it seem worse than if snapped without his knowledge, that is not as a "joke."
Old 11-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #2969
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So you're discounting the kiss? and the photo is okay because he was mugging for the camera? To me the fact that the photo was "a joke" somehow makes it seem worse than if snapped without his knowledge, that is not as a "joke."
I should shame those people who’ve drawn on me while passed out on couches.

The photo is miserable, but not because it’s meant to be funny. He was fucking with someone who, when conscious, wanted no part of him. Line crossed, by miles.

ETA: Agreed, however, that the kiss is the real crime here. Creep.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 11-16-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #2970
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
The photo is miserable, but not because it’s meant to be funny.
That's not what i said.