LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 100
0 members and 100 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #1576
Pretty Little Flower
Moderator
 
Pretty Little Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Flower
Posts: 8,404
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Once Trump gets re-elected Scott Adams is getting a Kennedy Center honor!
It is Bukowski’s birthday.
__________________
Inside every man lives the seed of a flower.
If he looks within he finds beauty and power.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #1577
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,899
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
It is Bukowski’s birthday.
For Buk to get a Kennedy Center honor we’d need like Teddy Kennedy to become president.
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #1578
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,682
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Does Dogbert hate Mondays? I know Garfield sure does. But you know what Garfield loves? Lasagna. When I think back on my Garfield-reading days, sometimes I wonder why it is that the fact that Garfield loves lasagna is so funny that the entire plot of some 60-70% of the Garfield cartoons that I read back then is that Garfield loves lasagna. But those were simpler times, when it was universally acknowledged that a lasagna-eating cat was endlessly hilarious, and when it would have been unusual for someone to become so mad about the fact that the FBI took back classified nuclear documents stolen by an ex-president and kept in an unsecure location, that they would try to storm an FBI office alone and then commit suicide-by-cop.

Simpler times ….
Years ago someone took Garfield out of the cartoons. It was just Jon talking to himself and it was glorious.
__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #1579
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,778
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Years ago someone took Garfield out of the cartoons. It was just Jon talking to himself and it was glorious.
https://garfieldminusgarfield.net

Genius.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:29 PM   #1580
Pretty Little Flower
Moderator
 
Pretty Little Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Flower
Posts: 8,404
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The two on this page are so good. Particularly the top one. So good. And so raw.

https://garfieldminusgarfield.net/page/7
__________________
Inside every man lives the seed of a flower.
If he looks within he finds beauty and power.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #1581
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 20,101
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
We'll never know why Trump took those records. People like to assume nefarious goals, but it's just as likely incompetence, arrogance (they're mine), and paranoia (they're confidential to me and my team alone), or all four combined.
I wouldn't assume we won't find out. This also could be a simple case of selling secrets to fund his next bigger and better insurrection. I mean, that a long and honored tradition for deposed despots.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:47 PM   #1582
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 17,056
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I was apparently the fourth person to get in touch with my husband about it. He was stationed there in the early 90s, so he doesn't qualify. Thankfully, he does not have any cancers or other diseases.

He said that while they were there, the water issue was a known thing they used to joke about. The internet algorithms have figured out that he has some sort of connection there. He's been followed by the ads for a few weeks now.
I've gotten two robocalls about it. I have nothing at all to do with it.

Just realized there's a decent chance my FIL was there during the relevant time period.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #1583
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,965
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
This is the best thing I have read in a while to explain why people like Adams act like they act and say what they say.
I don't think this is the best thing on the subject. The point it makes about Trumpism effectively being a new religion (he doesn't explicitly say that, but he clearly indicates that's what it is) is spot-on.

Noah Rothman recently did a book about progressivism being a "New Puritanism" and is all over the news on a book tour right now. I think he's improperly focusing on progressivism and should also cite Trumpism as a new form of fundamentalist religion. As the author of the piece you cited notes, Trump's guilt is immaterial. To get behind him is an act of faith, and faith is, like this definition or not, an act of self-delusion. One is choosing to put aside powers of reason and observation and believe in something that all but assuredly isn't and for which there's zero proof.

But other assessments are incorrect:
What makes this situation worse is that there is no remedy for it. When people are driven by fantasies, by resentment, by an internalized sense of inferiority, there is no redemption in anything. Winning elections, burning effigies, even shooting at other citizens does not soothe their anger but instead deepens the spiritual and moral void that haunts them.
It is only a portion of Trumpists, the own-the-libs and nativists, who fit this description. A significant portion of Trumpland I see in this purple state doesn't want to control others. I honestly don't think it gives a shit. It's people who want to be left alone. They have a strong independent streak and view Trump and the GOP as instruments to retain personal and local control. They don't like taxes, regs, or federal mandates on how their kids are schooled. They don't resent "elites" (they'd laugh at this author's suggestion they're jealous) and don't want to change laws. They just want to be left alone.

How big is this slice of Trumpland? I don't know. But I'd guess it's a healthy percentage.

My guess is these people dislike Trump about as much as anyone else. They just figure then enemy of my enemy is my friend.

. . .

Another point I'd note is, this author makes an error someone took me to task for making a couple weeks ago. I was joking with a moderate friend of mine that people who suspect the election was fixed are idiots and not worth addressing. I explained how an election cannot be rigged, as I have some first hand experience in how they're managed.

He asked me "Why is it invalid for a person on the right to despair over how the country is changing?" I defended that believing the election was fixed was failing to grasp basic facts. He and I have similar politics. He agreed with that but asserted the bias that allows for such suggestibility is valid. I had to admit I didn't have an response to the argument that a person feeling like his country is changing in ways he doesn't like isn't automatically disqualified form offering an opinion.

It is okay to see what's happening in the country and not like it.

That doesn't sound controversial. But then I considered how I'd replied to people with that position in the past. I'd call them knaves, Don Quixotes tilting at economic and demographic changes they've no prayer of stanching. Many others would reflexively call them bigots and racists. And those indictments certainly apply to many of them.

But again, abstractly, to lament or seek to stand athwart change is not an automatically invalid, or even deviant, position. It is, technically, a view that has a seat at the table. And I think the recent branding of conservatism as entirely deviant is fueling its degradation into right wing populism.

When a conservative says, just by way of example, "The border is too easily breached," the response should be, "Well, we tried to fix that with immigration reform, but by electing an extremist like Trump, the GOP screwed that up for everyone." The answer should not be, "That is a xenophobic perhaps racist view that deserves no reply."

Negation never works. It just pisses people off and convinces them that the issue really is binary, and their only choice is to pick a side in our dysfunctional political war.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-21-2022 at 01:23 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #1584
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,778
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I don't think this is the best thing on the subject. The point it makes about Trumpism effectively being a new religion (he doesn't explicitly say that, but he clearly indicates that's what it is) is spot-on.

Noah Rothman recently did a book about progressivism being a "New Puritanism" and is all over the news on a book tour right now. I think he's improperly focusing on progressivism and should also cite Trumpism as a new form of fundamentalist religion. As the author of the piece you cited notes, Trump's guilt is immaterial. To get behind him is an act of faith, and faith is, like this definition or not, an act of self-delusion. One is choosing to put aside powers of reason and observation and believe in something that all but assuredly isn't and for which there's zero proof.

But other assessments are incorrect:
What makes this situation worse is that there is no remedy for it. When people are driven by fantasies, by resentment, by an internalized sense of inferiority, there is no redemption in anything. Winning elections, burning effigies, even shooting at other citizens does not soothe their anger but instead deepens the spiritual and moral void that haunts them.
It is only a portion of Trumpists, the own-the-libs and nativists, who fit this description. A significant portion of Trumpland I see in this purple state doesn't want to control others. I honestly don't think it gives a shit. It's people who want to be left alone. They have a strong independent streak and view Trump and the GOP as instruments to retain personal and local control. They don't like taxes, regs, or federal mandates on how their kids are schooled. They don't resent "elites" (they'd laugh at this author's suggestion they're jealous) and don't want to change laws. They just want to be left alone.

How big is this slice of Trumpland? I don't know. But I'd guess it's a healthy percentage.

My guess is these people dislike Trump about as much as anyone else. They just figure then enemy of my enemy is my friend.

. . .

Another point I'd note is, this author makes an error someone took me to task for making a couple weeks ago. I was joking with a moderate friend of mine that people who suspect the election was fixed are idiots and not worth addressing. I explained how an election cannot be rigged, as I have some first hand experience in how they're managed.

He asked me "Why is it invalid for a person on the right to despair over how the country is changing?" I defended that believing the election was fixed was failing to grasp basic facts. He and I have similar politics. He agreed with that but asserted the bias that allows for such suggestibility is valid. I had to admit I didn't have an response to the argument that a person feeling like his country is changing in ways he doesn't like isn't automatically disqualified form offering an opinion.

It is okay to see what's happening in the country and not like it.

That doesn't sound controversial. But then I considered how I'd replied to people with that position in the past. I'd call them knaves, Don Quixotes tilting at economic and demographic changes they've no prayer of stanching. Many others would reflexively call them bigots and racists. And those indictments certainly apply to many of them.

But again, abstractly, to lament or seek to stand athwart change is not an automatically invalid, or even deviant, position. It is, technically, a view that has a seat at the table. And I think the recent branding of conservatism as entirely deviant is fueling its degradation into right wing populism.

When a conservative says, just by way of example, "The border is too easily breached," the response should be, "Well, we tried to fix that with immigration reform, but by electing an extremist like Trump, the GOP screwed that up for everyone." The answer should not be, "That is a xenophobic perhaps racist view that deserves no reply."

Negation never works. It just pisses people off and convinces them that the issue really is binary, and their only choice is to pick a side in our dysfunctional political war.
He is not explaining the behavior of people like your moderate friend, or for that matter most Trump voters. He is describing the behavior of the people who present the threat of violence. For that matter, I'm not sure that fits Scott Adams, but Adams is using his megaphone to agitate those people.

I don't think it helps much to compare Trump supporters "beliefs" to religion. You say,
To get behind him is an act of faith, and faith is, like this definition or not, an act of self-delusion. One is choosing to put aside powers of reason and observation and believe in something that all but assuredly isn't and for which there's zero proof.
I don't think faith plays much of a role at all (and it's silly to say that faith is ipso facto delusion). Loudly insisting on things that other people disbelieve is one way of signaling group solidarity. There's no sacrifice to expressing group solidarity by saying things that are reasonable, but when you loudly insist on things that are patently false, you are making a statement about conviction.

A great many people vote for Trump because they're on the right, and he was their candidate. They're not the ones dragging things to the crazy, they're just along for the ride. They are not interested in violence which is what the thing that I linked was about.

Calling woke progressivism a New Puritanism seems like a really good way to show that you don't know anything about Puritanism.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:03 PM   #1585
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)
 
Replaced_Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Romantically enfranchised
Posts: 14,224
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

I understand the reluctance, but they have to prosecute him. Don't they??

The evidence is pretty overwhelming, and this is just one filing.
__________________
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79

Last edited by Replaced_Texan; 08-31-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:13 PM   #1586
Icky Thump
Registered User
 
Icky Thump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,451
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I understand the reluctance, but they have to prosecute him. Don't they??

The evidence is pretty overwhelming, and this is just one filing.
They may be waiting for him to have a heart attack or something.
__________________
gothamtakecontrol
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:58 PM   #1587
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,899
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
They may be waiting for him to have a heart attack or something.
A night in jail may help that…..
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #1588
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 17,056
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I understand the reluctance, but they have to prosecute him. Don't they??

The evidence is pretty overwhelming, and this is just one filing.
He had stolen state secrets. He knew he had stolen state secrets. He didn't give them back when asked. He (through his lawyer) lied about having given them all back.

Anyone else would already be in jail, but as the former guy, he isn't just anyone else. I wonder if it will take actual evidence of having shown them to a foreign actor to get him actually prosecuted.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #1589
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,778
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
He had stolen state secrets. He knew he had stolen state secrets. He didn't give them back when asked. He (through his lawyer) lied about having given them all back.

Anyone else would already be in jail, but as the former guy, he isn't just anyone else. I wonder if it will take actual evidence of having shown them to a foreign actor to get him actually prosecuted.
I think the crux of the matter is that he is convinced that they are his documents, and the guy from Judicial Watch (among others?) echoed that and told him what they wanted to hear. Lots of the other bullshit is because he is playing a PR game, not a working a legal matter.

He is wrong, of course, but I think that's what he believes.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #1590
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,778
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I think the crux of the matter is that he is convinced that they are his documents, and the guy from Judicial Watch (among others?) echoed that and told him what they wanted to hear. Lots of the other bullshit is because he is playing a PR game, not a working a legal matter.

He is wrong, of course, but I think that's what he believes.
I'm also coming around to the idea that a Special Master is not such a bad thing.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.