LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 120
0 members and 120 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:43 PM   #1396
Pretty Little Flower

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Same same.

Although election results are anecdotes in Minnesota? That was Trump’s claim about election results IIRC?
I didn’t read your links. Or, to be honest, much of your post. I’m not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I don’t care.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:27 PM   #1397
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Really? Why do you think that?
Because many, many people have written about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...working-class/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...n-they-appear/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...my-prri-survey

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ump-exit-polls

Trump voters are full of grievances, but that doesn't mean that they are worse off than other people, just that they feel more entitled.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:28 PM   #1398
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Some times you say the Rs will kill the D’s in November but other times you say if Roe is overturned then the D’s will win big.

Can you pick one so we proceed well advised?
[NARRATOR]
No, he cannot.
[/NARRATOR]
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #1399
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
[NARRATOR]
No, he cannot.
[/NARRATOR]
I don’t care either. See you in another country. I’ll still complain there. I’m eternally bitchy.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 06-30-2022 at 11:15 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:14 PM   #1400
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

Trump voters are full of grievances, but that doesn't mean that they are worse off than other people, just that they feel more entitled.
Try to reply to Hank. Or don’t. I don’t care. He and I live where shit matters in terms of voting and such. You do you, and enjoy November.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 06-30-2022 at 11:17 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #1401
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

I've written about it too.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #1402
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
You asked a question, I was curious, did a quick Google search and sent you some results. Your anecdotes don’t really persuade me the articles are not accurate, but I also don’t really care. Just trying to be helpful. Because I am a good Lawtalkers citizen.
A very simple way to think about it is that his supporters are white. The set of white people in this country, overall, is more affluent than the set of people.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #1403
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
A very simple way to think about it is that his supporters are white. The set of white people in this country, overall, is more affluent than the set of people.
Exactly, which is why looking at "average" misses Sebby's point.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:20 PM   #1404
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
But it's not just that. The more affluent a white person is, the more likely they are to vote for Trump. It's really not in question.

What confuses things somewhat is that more affluent parts of the country (coastal and urban areas) and of states (cities) are more likely not to.

Hank can post results from Macomb County, and they tell you something, but they don't tell you who in Macomb County voted for Trump and who didn't. Neither do the jackasses who drive around with flags on their trucks. I saw one of those yesterday in Santa Cruz County, but so what.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #1405
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
But it's not just that. The more affluent a white person is, the more likely they are to vote for Trump. It's really not in question.

What confuses things somewhat is that more affluent parts of the country (coastal and urban areas) and of states (cities) are more likely not to.

Hank can post results from Macomb County, and they tell you something, but they don't tell you who in Macomb County voted for Trump and who didn't. Neither do the jackasses who drive around with flags on their trucks. I saw one of those yesterday in Santa Cruz County, but so what.
Trump voters tend to have higher levels of “economic anxiety” than others. You can look it up. There are numerous studies on it.

As Hank put it, they have “something to lose.”

You rephrase “something to lose” as “entitlement.” I think it’s a mixed bag. I think some Trump voters think they are entitled to something. I think an equal, or perhaps greater, number of them are anxious.

Both groups are highly susceptible to racist and xenophobic messaging, as they are searching for someone to blame for circumstances beyond their control. This need to blame others also manifests itself in distrust of institutions, which they also blame.

How much of the racism within Trumpism is attributable to native long-standing racism versus racism created by recent economic anxiety? Unknown. But when people say things like, “Trumpism is primarily based on underlying racist attitudes,” they are making a gross and unsupportable generalization. They are missing a huge component of Trumpism, which is racism caused by economic anxiety. And that is a very distinct form of racism.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #1406
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

It is not true that the more affluent person is, the more likely they are to vote for Trump. The more affluent a person is, the less they give a shit who is in office. Or, the more able they are to vote against their own economic interests without consequence.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #1407
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Which of the articles you linked prove this?
Old 07-01-2022, 06:06 PM   #1408
Icky Thump

Good lord we are a dumb fucking world.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #1409
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Trump voters tend to have higher levels of “economic anxiety” than others. You can look it up. There are numerous studies on it.

As Hank put it, they have “something to lose.”

You rephrase “something to lose” as “entitlement.” I think it’s a mixed bag. I think some Trump voters think they are entitled to something. I think an equal, or perhaps greater, number of them are anxious.

Both groups are highly susceptible to racist and xenophobic messaging, as they are searching for someone to blame for circumstances beyond their control. This need to blame others also manifests itself in distrust of institutions, which they also blame.

How much of the racism within Trumpism is attributable to native long-standing racism versus racism created by recent economic anxiety? Unknown. But when people say things like, “Trumpism is primarily based on underlying racist attitudes,” they are making a gross and unsupportable generalization. They are missing a huge component of Trumpism, which is racism caused by economic anxiety. And that is a very distinct form of racism.
None of what you say here is inconsistent with what Adder said, and what Hank pushed back on, which is that Trump voters "are not the economically downtrodden. They are just white people."

I agree with you that they think they have something to lose. That's what I said too. I think it's as much about social status as economic status, but the two are obviously quite connected.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #1410
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
It is not true that the more affluent person is, the more likely they are to vote for Trump.
Isn't it pretty to think so, but there is actual data on this, and you are wrong.