LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > DC

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 221
0 members and 221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-27-2003, 02:04 AM   #91
On n'a qu'une vie

GWU Prof Butler disses O'Conner

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone_Slothrop
He wasn't dissing her, he was lobbying for her vote on the Michigan case.
That's the difference between the east and west coasts. Lobbying her on the Michigan case at a commencement (or anywhere else) is disrespectful.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:25 PM   #92
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Paging paigow . . . .

Women's Fed Cup coming to DC
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 03:34 PM   #93
MisterEbola
rank subjugation jack

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Paigow, are you writing for Travel and Leisure these days?

"A national, but unscientific, poll by Travel & Leisure magazine ranked the District as the worst place to shop (and barhop) among the country's 25 most popular urban destinations. "

(rest of Washington Post article)
I actually have to agree here. There are many, many places that are much more exciting where everybody doesn't look act as if they were the smartest person in the solar system.

San Diego (Garnet Street), Dallas (Greenville Ave.), and San Antonio (Riverwalk) all come to mind as terrific bar strips.
MisterEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 09:20 AM   #94
paigowprincess

Paging paigow . . . .

Quote:
Women's Fed Cup coming to DC
Thanks Burger. I of course already knew this bc I am a compulsive tennis follower. I just wish we were playing a country withmore exciting players than Rita Grande and Silvia Farina (yawn). They could pose a real challenge to the Williamses, if they play again. Of course seeing the American women in that tiny venue would be a treat. Too bad they aint playing eachother. Serena, Venus, Monica if not injured, Jennifer, Lindsay. Good stuff. And Billie Jean courtside. Maybe they could get Martina to play doubles? That would be worth the ticket alone. I would switch teams for her.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:25 AM   #95
paigowprincess

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterEbola
I actually have to agree here. There are many, many places that are much more exciting where everybody doesn't look act as if they were the smartest person in the solar system.

San Diego (Garnet Street), Dallas (Greenville Ave.), and San Antonio (Riverwalk) all come to mind as terrific bar strips.
I am just about to pack up shop and move to San Diego. THe weather in this town is just abysmal. I realize it is way worse than usual, but I and everyone around me is just depressed from it. THe bars do suck, there is nto a huge choice of stellar dining, there is no beach nearby, no mountains worth skiing, everyone looks the same etc etc. I have been trying really hard to be postivie but how many bad margaritas can a girl drink at Lauriol Plaza while ssweating her ass off in the humidity when it isnt raining watching all the gay NTTAWWT men or ugly straight men go by? I have seen some cuties but not enough sadly. Wonder how the SD ecomony is?

Pass the prozac.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:38 AM   #96
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
Wonder how the SD ecomony is?
Half the economy spent the last 6 months in Iraq.

Of course, I suppose there are advantages to a single woman of having a bunch of war-weary soldiers redescend upon a town.

What is the business of San Diego? Nice city with great weather, and the usual assortment of businesses, banks, and whatnot, but I've never thought it to be a hub of anything except the Navy and the first weigh-station for Mexican immigrants heading north.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:00 AM   #97
paigowprincess

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
Half the economy spent the last 6 months in Iraq.

Of course, I suppose there are advantages to a single woman of having a bunch of war-weary soldiers redescend upon a town.

What is the business of San Diego? Nice city with great weather, and the usual assortment of businesses, banks, and whatnot, but I've never thought it to be a hub of anything except the Navy and the first weigh-station for Mexican immigrants heading north.
Actually, San Diego is kind of a dullsville place. Except the gaslight district is supposed to be real fun now. Basically, its a great place to settle down- I could see myself running a little organic pet food shop in La Jolla, across the street from the beach and just a couple of hours from La Fonda, Mehico. It would be a slower life, but hey, yoga, beach ,burritos, real margartias, forty five minute flight to Vegas on southwest and the right man, doesnt sound like a bad life at this point. PRoblem is the far awayness from all that is NYC and my family. Where to live, Burgie. The endless unanswerable question.

Then again, as my yoga guru always says, "Just another shitty day in paradise".
Old 05-29-2003, 10:50 AM   #98
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
Where to live, Burgie. The endless unanswerable question.
I've never really found that question unanswerable. The tough question is where to live where one can work a job that's actually interesting. So, unless you're loaded and can just not work, the two kind of go together. If you don't care what you're doing, San Diego would be a great choice, unless your family lives across the country (and flying to SD really sucks because there are no non-stops from the east coast so far as I can tell).

I can assure you (and I think you agree), I would not live in DC if I could find as interesting work as a lawyer in my preferred locales. Unfortunately, I've ended up in a legal area that's best practiced in DC.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:59 AM   #99
paigowprincess

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
I've never really found that question unanswerable. The tough question is where to live where one can work a job that's actually interesting. So, unless you're loaded and can just not work, the two kind of go together. If you don't care what you're doing, San Diego would be a great choice, unless your family lives across the country (and flying to SD really sucks because there are no non-stops from the east coast so far as I can tell).

I can assure you (and I think you agree), I would not live in DC if I could find as interesting work as a lawyer in my preferred locales. Unfortunately, I've ended up in a legal area that's best practiced in DC.
That's the issue. I am in the sam e boat (and I am starting to wonder if perhaps we have worked together). So the issue is, how important to your life is work? I tend to be more French in that area in that I dont have enough greed to make work my life and when I am billing way high, i tend to be miserable. But I dont have the balls to throw it all away at the moment, not in this economy. Hopefully this attitude doesnt make me an old lady who regrets having spent her life somewhere she didnt want to be toiling away for someone else.

I do know that some Biglaw in SD is hiring though, in certain areas. And to answer your previous question, San Diego jumped on the tech sector bandwagon and has not apparently had the extensive setbacks SV has. Someone who practices there told me this so take it fwiw.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:05 AM   #100
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
That's the issue. I am in the sam e boat (and I am starting to wonder if perhaps we have worked together). So the issue is, how important to your life is work? I tend to be more French in that area in that I dont have enough greed to make work my life and when I am billing way high, i tend to be miserable. But I dont have the balls to throw it all away at the moment, not in this economy. Hopefully this attitude doesnt make me an old lady who regrets having spent her life somewhere she didnt want to be toiling away for someone else.

I do know that some Biglaw in SD is hiring though, in certain areas. And to answer your previous question, San Diego jumped on the tech sector bandwagon and has not apparently had the extensive setbacks SV has. Someone who practices there told me this so take it fwiw.
I doubt we've worked together, but who knows? Anyway, DC is filled with lawyer jobs that really can't be done anywhere else. Really, basically anything that involves dealing with gov't regulators is done principally in DC.

Isn't Qualcomm in San Diego? As long as people still have cellphones, that's a company that will do well.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #101
robustpuppy

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
paigow (I am starting to wonder if perhaps we have worked together)
Quote:
Burger
I doubt we've worked together, but who knows?
I think it's so cute the way you two lovebirds pretend not to know each other.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:38 AM   #102
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
I think it's so cute the way you two lovebirds pretend not to know each other.
keep the trolling for your "mainstream" three-ways on the fashion board.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:44 AM   #103
robustpuppy

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
keep the trolling for your "mainstream" three-ways on the fashion board.
You've got me bouncing all over the place today (see FB post 7480). With all this "go there, no, go there," I feel like I'm at COSI, or the DC DMV.

Last edited by robustpuppy; 05-29-2003 at 11:47 AM..
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:47 AM   #104
paigowprincess

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
You've got me bouncing all over the place today see. With all this "go there, no there," I feel like I'm at COSI, or the DC DMV.
Stay away from my man.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:48 AM   #105
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Terrible barhopping

Quote:
You've got me bouncing all over the place today (see FB post 7480). With all this "go there, no, go there," I feel like I'm at COSI, or the DC DMV.
Like they tell you at the DC DMV, if you were in the right place in the first place, you wouldn't have any problems.