LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 116
0 members and 116 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #2866
Pretty Little Flower

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I have to say, it was nice of all those Republicans to go on the record as pro-pedophilia before Allred brought the hammer down. (sips Keurig).
A CNN article quoting people stating why they are still voting for him and/or while he did not do anything wrong is as compelling argument against democracy as there is. Especially in Alabama. I'm know there are good people there but suspension of the right to vote for everyone in the state is the most narrowly tailored remedy we could possibly fashion. We'll let Mississippi advocate on their behalf. And the state auditor???

Alabama state auditor Jim Zeigler used Biblical examples to argue that Moore's relationships were not inappropriate.

"Take the Bible: Zechariah and Elizabeth, for instance," Zeigler said. "Zechariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There's just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual."

In the Bible, Joseph was the husband of Mary, but Jesus is conceived through the Holy Spirit. Although Joseph is often popularly depicted as an old man and Mary as a youthful virgin, the Bible does not explicitly mention their ages.
Zechariah and Elizabeth, the parents of John the Baptist, are both described in Luke as "well stricken in years," according to the King James Bible.

There's nothing immoral or illegal about pedophilia? WHAT? WHAT??!??!? Fuck the vote revocation, we're walling off the entire state. Dear Alabama, you voted for Ziegler. Good-bye forever. BUILD THE WALL! BUILD THE WALL!

I am not sorry.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #2867
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Sessions Judiciary Committee Testimony

Watching how the Republicans are running this farce and listening to the constant verbal and unsolicited fellatio they are giving Sessions and the questions they are asking, which seem to be focused completely on fucking Hillary Clinton and/or DACA is absolutely sickening. And the fucking smirks this little asshole gives to his friends in the Senate administering such unsolicited fellatio makes me want to smash his smug little elf face.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...T.nav=top-news

This country is fucking doomed.

TM
Old 11-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #2868
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
This is complete and total revisionist bullshit. Republicans were running away from their own fucking bills because they couldn't be seen to agree with him. They outright said they would oppose anything he was in favor of. Don't be ridiculous.

TM
I thought the same thing. This person ran a federal govt department, and advised me otherwise. I don't know whether it's right or wrong (my guess is it's a mix), but this person is pretty credible and moderate.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #2869
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Epistemic Crisis

Quote:
I know I've been away, but I'm back to help. Stop this immediately.

TM
I plead peer pressure. I do everything GGG does.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #2870
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I plead peer pressure. I do everything GGG does.
He is cray- ah - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

But you already knew that.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #2871
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
A CNN article quoting people stating why they are still voting for him and/or while he did not do anything wrong is as compelling argument against democracy as there is. Especially in Alabama. I'm know there are good people there but suspension of the right to vote for everyone in the state is the most narrowly tailored remedy we could possibly fashion. We'll let Mississippi advocate on their behalf. And the state auditor???

Alabama state auditor Jim Zeigler used Biblical examples to argue that Moore's relationships were not inappropriate.

"Take the Bible: Zechariah and Elizabeth, for instance," Zeigler said. "Zechariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There's just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual."

In the Bible, Joseph was the husband of Mary, but Jesus is conceived through the Holy Spirit. Although Joseph is often popularly depicted as an old man and Mary as a youthful virgin, the Bible does not explicitly mention their ages.
Zechariah and Elizabeth, the parents of John the Baptist, are both described in Luke as "well stricken in years," according to the King James Bible.

There's nothing immoral or illegal about pedophilia? WHAT? WHAT??!??!? Fuck the vote revocation, we're walling off the entire state. Dear Alabama, you voted for Ziegler. Good-bye forever. BUILD THE WALL! BUILD THE WALL!
McConnell's end-game has become clear. Come out strong against this asshole now (with the full knowledge that Alabama is so fucking backward that they'll still vote for Moore) so that he can expel him as soon as he tries to take his seat and have the Alabama governor appoint a replacement who he approves and will vote lock-step with the Republican agenda until 2018.

There is nothing about the current Republican Party that is of any value. Nothing.

TM
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #2872
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I thought the same thing. This person ran a federal govt department, and advised me otherwise. I don't know whether it's right or wrong (my guess is it's a mix), but this person is pretty credible and moderate.
I do not believe this person you mentioned based on the overwhelming evidence of what my very own eyes and ears witnessed.

TM
Old 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #2873
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post

Don't worry, Franklin Graham is praying for Roy, so he'll be ok.

Franklin doesn't seem to be praying for any of the victims, but Breitbart is sending a hit squad to Alabama to attack those harlots.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #2874
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Thanks Obama!

Quote:
I got picked for a criminal trial (and made foreperson) 3 years ago. Here is my take:

1. People are fucking stupid. One third of the jury wanted to convict on the harshest charge right away without listening to what actions rise to meet the elements of the charge or the judge's instructions. Two jurors wanted to outright acquit right away without even discussing the fucking facts. I had to explain the charges and how a conviction could be met and walk them through how and why the prosecution had to meet their presumption. Again and again and again.

2. People are cruel and selfish. I always thought that, once in that jury room, people would take their duty very seriously. Here is the order of priorities in that room: (1) Getting it over with quickly, (2) Lunch, and finally (3) Coming to the right decision. I'm not sure ours is the worst system, but if it's the best, that is the saddest statement ever made. People are getting fucked by this system left and right--and not just from a racial and class perspective.

3. I eventually got them to the right decision. But I could have made them go any way I wanted them to go. After the decision, we learned the defendant had serious mental problems. So I'm not sure why he was on trial at all. But that's our criminal justice system for you.

TM
Poll one after a civil trial.

Fucking morons. The average American is a venal, self-absorbed, boring, entitled imbecile.

The 80/20 rule applies. A fifth of them are worth listening to, have something unique to say, actually know something useful about that on which they opine, and hold powers of insight rendering their subjective views worthy of consideration.

You will never see an improvement in criminal law until we stop stacking the deck against defendants. I don't care what courthouse you're in -- there's a sometimes subtle, often overt, deference given to the prosecution. In state courts, judges don't fear appeals. In federal court, the rules are geared to fuck defendants, and the cowards who prosecute only pick cases they believe they've a 90% chance of winning. In both venues, the judge and the jury might hear one is innocent until convicted, but in what they observe (denial of motions to exclude evidence, latitude given to prosecutors, etc.), they are led to the conclusion, "This guy's probably guilty of something."

The draconian length of potential sentences alone demonstrates a country with deeply fucked up values. Threatening a kid with 10 years for LSD possession? Putting people away for life on 3 Strikes laws? The threat of thirty years for [insert fed non-violent crime here]?

Our system is as sick and demented as China's and Saudi Arabia's. The only difference is theirs are openly so, while ours is superficially fair. ...Which is satisfactory for the provincial and incurious American voter.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #2875
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
McConnell's end-game has become clear. Come out strong against this asshole now (with the full knowledge that Alabama is so fucking backward that they'll still vote for Moore) so that he can expel him as soon as he tries to take his seat and have the Alabama governor appoint a replacement who he approves and will vote lock-step with the Republican agenda until 2018.

There is nothing about the current Republican Party that is of any value. Nothing.

TM
2. Thought the same exact thing yesterday. Win/win for McConnell. "Look! We in the GOP are actually doing something - something not done since the Civil War - to combat sexual assault!"
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #2876
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
I know I've been away, but I'm back to help. Stop this immediately.

TM
Typical Crossfitter attitude.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #2877
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Typical Crossfitter attitude.
New PR, baby!

TM
Old 11-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #2878

Quote:
New PR, baby!

TM
Are you stronger than Don Trump Jr, who (with awful form) recently deadlifted 375?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #2879

Re: Thanks Obama!

Quote:
Poll one after a civil trial.

Fucking morons. The average American is a venal, self-absorbed, boring, entitled imbecile.
Replace "American" with "human" and you've got it.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #2880
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Are you stronger than Don Trump Jr, who (with awful form) recently deadlifted 375?
Ha. On paper? No way.

TM
Closed Thread