LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > SF/SV

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 473
0 members and 473 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #1906
Icky Thump

Re: Discussion of Firms and Life in SF/SV

My first trip to LA was magical. I was 19, in a band and could write a book about the 18 days we spent there. By the end of the stay there were 21 people living in our hotel room. I saw more girls naked during that 18 days than I had seen in my previous 19 years. I had Vince Neil and Tommy Lee come up to me at the Whiskey to say "Hi." I sniffed amyl nitrate with David Lee Roth.

Funny thing is today, someone mentioned sending me out to our LA office to rattle some cages. But I think if I went out to LA, I would be on a bender by late Monday night and could wind up on a 21 year bender.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 08-21-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #1907
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
My first trip to LA was magical. I was 19, in a band and could write a book about the 18 days we spent there. By the end of the stay there were 21 people living in our hotel room. I saw more girls naked during that 18 days than I had seen in my previous 19 years. I had Vince Neil and Tommy Lee come up to me at the Whiskey to say "Hi." I sniffed amyl nitrate with David Lee Roth.

Funny thing is today, someone mentioned sending me out to our LA office to rattle some cages. But I think if I went out to LA, I would be on a bender by late Monday night and could wind up on a 21 year bender.
hmm, I think we all know that being a rock star or movie star would make LA quite livable. If you can have twin virgins fucking you in the back of your limo, I imagine the traffic delays become more bearable. Short of that though, the money to live in a few select neighborhoods, and the fortune to work in the same seem required to enjoy living there.

(ps I no loger have my fave avatar, congrats)
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #1908
Not Bob

With a big nasty redhead by my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
hmm, I think we all know that being a rock star or movie star would make LA quite livable. If you can have twin virgins fucking you in the back of your limo, I imagine the traffic delays become more bearable. Short of that though, the money to live in a few select neighborhoods, and the fortune to work in the same seem required to enjoy living there.

(ps I no loger have my fave avatar, congrats)
I'd totally do either version of Icky's Three Weeks In LA -- the 19 year old rock musician life would probably kill me by day 3, but whatever.

And it's been a while since I've been with a multi-office firm that would send me in to do my Mariano-in-the-bottom-of-the-ninth thing, but there are worse things in life than spending three weeks in a semi-swank hotel near the office. And if it's that much fun in places like Paducah, Jacksonville, and Wheeling, one can only imagine the pleasure of doing so in the 2-1-3.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #1909
Sparklehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post

It's funny to read this coming from a Walter White avatar because you seem to be Breaking Bad Backwards.

(It's a nice avatar but I particularly liked the Tio one.)
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1910
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?
Re: With a big nasty redhead by my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I'd totally do either version of Icky's Three Weeks In LA -- the 19 year old rock musician life would probably kill me by day 3, but whatever.

And it's been a while since I've been with a multi-office firm that would send me in to do my Mariano-in-the-bottom-of-the-ninth thing, but there are worse things in life than spending three weeks in a semi-swank hotel near the office. And if it's that much fun in places like Paducah, Jacksonville, and Wheeling, one can only imagine the pleasure of doing so in the 2-1-3.
I have lived in the South Bay of Los Angeles and the Bay Area of San Fransisco.

I loved loved loved living in LA. I hated living in the SFBA.

It is entirely possible that I was in Icky's hotel room.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #1911
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I thought that too, but it didn't turn out that way.
I would not even think that, putting aside career-location lock-in that might occur after moving, unless one moved to the place where you grew up, and still had various friends and general comfort, or a place near your parents and other relatives, or possibly 3 or 4 other cities in the U.S. On the first two, you're not moving back because no city could possibly provide those friends and/or that family.

On the third, I realize these things are highly subjective, but objectively speaking how many cities have enough to offer (putting aside local connections) that they are equal or superior to the SFBA, at least in sufficient respects?

I can think of only 2 candidates:
New York
Washington

I could be persuaded on more subjective factors to include Chicago, Boston, LA, and Seattle. Beyond those, it's regional preference.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #1912
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold_n_brazen View Post

Ipso facto res ipsa loquitur.

LATIN LATIN LATIN!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #1913
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: LA's fine, the sun shines (most of the time), and the feeling is laid back.

Quote:
Anyhoo, the game is wrapping at 10:30 PM and the big screen starts giving freeway traffic reports. Think. about. it.
The most LA thing that ever happened to me: visiting a college friend, a native of Manhattan Beach; he says he's driving us from MB to a Century City restaurant he loves and has been to "many times"; he whips out a Thomas Bros. map to plot the route.

I grew up on the Peninsula so I'm retarded about things that are east or west of other things, but seriously, WTAF?
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #1914
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
I grew up in a poor town with redneck dumb fucks. I've had cars TRY to hit me, I believe because "running is gay." Because of this I have chops so that a car will never hit me running or walking*. I do not leave that as an opportunity, as I can always see cars coming. On the other hand bike in bikes lanes and generally are much harder to see and anticipate. I guess I'm saying one can be more careful and do okay with cars.

As to your sentiment, PayPal me $50 and I will pass it on to him.

*and I am not unsympathetic to those hit by cars, as my biggest internet crush was.
I'm counting this one.

568-22
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #1915
Gattigap
Southern charmer

Quote:

Same here, except I love the South Bay of LA and loved (working in) the peninsula and (living in) SF.

I'm reasonably certain I haven't fucked Icky. More's the pity.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #1916
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklehorse View Post
you seem to be Breaking Bad Backwards.
There. The problem is, if I went to LA I would likely pull a Don Draper and go on a 6 week bender. Wonder how long the checks would continue though.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 08-22-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #1917
Icky Thump

Quote:

Uh oh.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #1918
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
I would not even think that, putting aside career-location lock-in that might occur after moving, unless one moved to the place where you grew up, and still had various friends and general comfort, or a place near your parents and other relatives, or possibly 3 or 4 other cities in the U.S. On the first two, you're not moving back because no city could possibly provide those friends and/or that family.

On the third, I realize these things are highly subjective, but objectively speaking how many cities have enough to offer (putting aside local connections) that they are equal or superior to the SFBA, at least in sufficient respects?

I can think of only 2 candidates:
New York
Washington

I could be persuaded on more subjective factors to include Chicago, Boston, LA, and Seattle. Beyond those, it's regional preference.
DC? Come on.

Towns dominated by one industry, like DC and LA, have their own interest. But they rarely match the diversity and interest of a place like SF, Chicago, or Toronto.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #1919
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
California has a special place in the American mind/soul/dream. And there is no question that both San Francisco and LA are beautiful, magical places. When I went to Beverly Hills in a February many (ack!) years ago for a pool-side mediation (I am Not Kidding), I learned first hand why people move there. Heck, I had picked out a gold Firebird and lined up a mobile home in Malibu before the first break-out session ended.

Then my client reminded me that I hate traffic (true) and the beach (also true). And that I wasn't rich (alas, very true) or good-looking (ouch), and that while I would love seeing games at Dodger Stadium (probably true; will have to go to confirm), I would hate seeing hockey at the Staples Center. And while I probably would like seeing hockey at the Pond in Anaheim, it's too far, and, besides, it's in Anaheim.*

And then the hot bartender called me "sir" in a way that said, politely, "you, Not Bob, remind me of Jason Alexander's character in Pretty Women," and the magic was completely gone.

*Note that I am only relaying the sneer. I have a different (but also very good) client in Anaheim, and am told that it is a delightful place.
Most years, I am invited to LA for the Grammys, thanks to my role with a small classical music label. However, my invitation is not to the ceremony populated by rock and movie stars, with red carpets and paparazzi, and everything carefully scripted for TV. My invite is to the event that happens earlier in the day, where the taxis and squat hybrids disgorge occupants by the convention hall, with friends snapping photos on their phones by the signage, where they give out the awards for stuff that doesn't garner any ratings. Yes, we are webcast live! I missed the biggest year, though, the one where Bob Dylan released a classical album and beat us in our category, and sent one of his close hangers on to gather up the award.

After all our awards are given out, though, they put the real ceremonies up the big screen where we can watch them from our convention hall seats, and they keep the concessions open, too!

If LA is a cruel place for the almost-famous like me, I can only image how tough it is on a failed writer like Hank.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 08-26-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #1920
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Most years, I am invited to LA for the Grammys, thanks to my role with a small classical music label. However, my invitation is not to the ceremony populated by rock and movie stars, with red carpets and paparazzi, and everything carefully scripted for TV. My invite is to the event that happens earlier in the day, where the taxis and squat hybrids disgorge occupants by the convention hall, with friends snapping photos on their phones by the signage, where they give out the awards for stuff that doesn't garner any ratings. Yes, we are webcast live! I missed the biggest year, though, the one where Bob Dylan released a classical album and beat us in our category, and sent one of his close hangers on to gather up the award.

After all our awards are given out, though, they put the real ceremonies up the big screen where we can watch them from our convention hall seats, and they keep the concessions open, too!

If LA is a cruel place for the almost-famous like me, I can only image how tough it is on a failed writer like Hank.
Right. You know it's over when they seat you in the kitchen at the Rainbow.